DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-06-29 19:57:48

dansdns323

Please Help...Dead DNS-323!

Hi, I'm new to posting but have been lurking here for a couple of months since I bought my 323.  I set it up as RAID-1 and have been using it reliably since April, leaving it on 24/7 and have not modified it in any way.  No hacks, plugs, etc.  I went away for a few days and when I came back yesterday it was not responding.  No ethernet connectivity (lights not lit up on switch,) and only the blinking blue light on the front.  I tried the reset procedure (thanks to this site--it is unconscionable that DLink has no instructions on this on their site!) without any luck.  Nothing changes the status of the unit: blinking blue light after pressing the power button.  I do hear the drives spin up when plugged in, for what that is worth.  Am I dead in the water?

#2 2008-07-15 08:26:41

bscott

Re: Please Help...Dead DNS-323!

I'm not sure if I can help you directly, but in the absence of more informed people stepping up (and I can't blame them for not wanting to repeat stock answers to what is frankly a FAQ...) the first thing I'd advise you to do is get your data backed up.  Your drives may be just fine, but until you figure out what happened it's best to make sure you won't lose anything irreplaceable.

If you're using Windows, you should download an Ext2 filesystem utility that will let you 'mount' the drives on your PC directly - there are several out there, do a search or try here or here.  The easiest way to get the drive plugged into your PC is to buy an empty USB external box (NewEgg has "open box specials" starting around $9...) and then move one of your DLink's drives into it.  Once the files are visible on your system, copy everything critical to somewhere safe.

Beyond that, try searching the Wiki for ideas - hardware reset the DNS-323, call DLink tech support to see if they have any suggestions, and (if at all possible) try to find someone nearby with a similar unit to see if the drives work in that one.  If you CAN find another DNS-323, just try to eliminate possibilities - swap power adapters, for instance, to make sure that's not the problem (a failure could mean it's delivering reduced current but still enough to light the LEDs - one of my USB-SATA interfaces had that happen recently).  Good luck!

Board footer