DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-07-30 02:07:59

Brain_of_J

Problem accessing DNS 323 in Ubuntu

I am attempting to use a D-Link DNS 323 with Ubuntu 8.04.
For awhile I had been dual booting into Windows XP and Ubuntu 7 (Gibbon). I was able to connect to the NAS in both Windows and in Ubuntu. On occasion I would have issue connecting in Ubuntu but this usually occurred after the NAS had gone into power saving mode. A quick reboot would fix the issue. I had no troubles (relatively anyways for a few months)

I re-formated my PC after vacation and now only have 8.04 Hardy installed.
I'm unable to connect to the device at all. My router is showing good lights but i'm pretty well out of ideas as i'm fairly new to linux...

any help would be appreciated.

thank you.

#2 2008-07-30 13:55:19

bscott

Re: Problem accessing DNS 323 in Ubuntu

When you say you can't connect at all, do you just mean via SMB (Windows-style) drive shares, or "at all"? Can you get to the web admin interface, or via FTP?  Try to ping the device's IP address, using a terminal (it's the same command as in Windows) and if possible, try accessing it from another desktop or laptop on the network to narrow down the possible problem.
FWIW there's no reason to believe the Ubuntu upgrade is the problem, as I've used my DNS from Windows, OSX and Ubuntu all at the same time without difficulty.  But SMB networking is often quirky for one reason or another, especially when no Microsoft hosts are on your network.

Last edited by bscott (2008-07-30 13:56:40)

#3 2008-07-30 15:25:06

terry_opie

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and have no issues.  No issues with 7.10 either, previously to that.  I have ffp installed, along with the required elements to allow me to nfs mount (rather than smb). 

Do you have the volumes mounted?  in /etc/fstab? 

If you've attempted to mount the dns, and its failed, there should be messages in /var/log/ somewhere that would (should) indicate what is going on.

#4 2008-07-30 17:32:53

Brain_of_J

I can't connect "Windows style".
"Normally" (last time it worked) when the NAS was connected, I could view the drive as if it were a shared network drive within the  "Places" tab (Places -> Network Devices or something like that...sorry at work and am doing this from memory).
I haven't tried pinging the device but I also don't have/ forgot to memorize or write down the IP address. Is the IP address a standard one?
Unfortunately there aren't any other systems on the network...

#5 2008-07-31 02:58:18

bscott

Brain_of_J wrote:

I haven't tried pinging the device but I also don't have/ forgot to memorize or write down the IP address. Is the IP address a standard one?

Assuming you have a standard-ish "router" (NAT/firewall sort of gizmo between your broadband connection and your computer(s), which gives you multiple network ports which share the internet connection) then it's the thing which gives the -323 its address, via DHCP.  Somewhere in its interface will be a list, one of which will be your PC and the other will be the -323.  It will probably start with 192.168.0.* or 192.168.1.*

Switching from Windows-style networking to NFS is a few extra steps but is worth it  for stability and performance, particularly for Linux users.  The Wiki (links above) has all the info you'll need.

#6 2008-07-31 08:10:22

Brain_of_J

huh.
that's more than a little odd.
i can't log into my router...i'll have to see what's going on.
give me a bit.

#7 2008-08-05 03:10:14

Brain_of_J

Alright.
I got my router sorted out.
I'm able to ping my -323 with out an issue.
However, I'm not able to see the device yet.
As soon as I'm able to get into the device, I'm going to try to switch over to NFS as suggested above and see what happens...

terry_opie wrote:

I'm using Ubuntu 8.04 and have no issues.  No issues with 7.10 either, previously to that.  I have ffp installed, along with the required elements to allow me to nfs mount (rather than smb). 

Do you have the volumes mounted?  in /etc/fstab? 

If you've attempted to mount the dns, and its failed, there should be messages in /var/log/ somewhere that would (should) indicate what is going on.

here's what that file says.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
#
# <file system> <mount point>   <type>  <options>       <dump>  <pass>
proc            /proc           proc    defaults        0       0
# /dev/sda1
UUID=394e8055-d6b9-4953-9e38-6284260a1d49 /               ext3    relatime,errors=remount-ro 0       1
# /dev/sda5
UUID=05439293-0ddc-499c-b1e3-f43e074db097 none            swap    sw              0       0
/dev/scd0       /media/cdrom0   udf,iso9660 user,noauto,exec,utf8 0       0

so...apparently not?
i'm having trouble deciphering the ubuntu help forums advice on mounting external drives through that file...

Last edited by Brain_of_J (2008-08-05 04:46:18)

#8 2008-08-06 15:18:07

bscott

Brain_of_J wrote:

Alright.
I'm able to ping my -323 with out an issue.
However, I'm not able to see the device yet.

"See" as in via Windows sharing, or via something else like FTP or the web admin interface?  Have you tried accessing the web admin interface after pulling out both drives?

terry_opie wrote:

here's what that file says.

# /etc/fstab: static file system information.
[...]
i'm having trouble deciphering the ubuntu help forums advice on mounting external drives through that file...

It's a bit much to wrap your head around all in one bite - the fstab, the mount command, NFS, all their own topics.  Don't be discouraged if it's confusing at first, they'll yield to perseverance...

The fstab is a place to store particulars of how to mount your standard drive shares, whether NFS or local or etc.  Everything in fstab will be mounted on startup (unless you specify otherwise), so adding something like the following - after enabling NFS on the -323 - should help:

Code:

# from my /etc/fstab:
192.168.0.177:/mnt/HD_a2  /mnt/dns-323   nfs  nodiratime,noatime  0  0

The above line puts the left-hand drive's root (/mnt/HD_a2, since I'm not running RAID) onto my system at /mnt/dns-323, over nfs, with a few options set to speed things up. 

However, the mount command by itself is similar -
command prompt$ mount -t nfs 192.168.0.177:/mnt/HD_a2 /mnt/dns-323
(you can add other arguments here too of course, see the man page for "mount")
or, for Windows-style mounts:
command prompt$ mount  192.168.0.177://   /mnt/dns-323
(for some reason, on my system adding  "-t smbfs" causes problems, but the above works...)

As an added tip, you can edit your /etc/hosts file to have this:

Code:

# from my /etc/hosts:
192.168.0.177   server

This assigns the name "server" to the DNS-323 IP address - so the line from /etc/fstab becomes:
server:/mnt/HD_a2  (...and so on)

Enabling NFS on the DNS-323 was straightforward, just install fun_plug, change the protection bits on a couple files, then edit /etc/exports to have a line like:

Code:

/ 192.168.0.0/24(rw,no_root_squash)

(this exports the "/" drive to every host on 192.168.0.* read/write - again, check the man page of "exports" for particulars)

All the above may or may not help, by comparison with the 3 million other tutorials out there - good luck!

#9 2008-08-07 03:22:39

Brain_of_J

Thanks for the information. That will help once I get this up and running.
Back to the troubleshooting though...

I'm able to access the device via the web admin interface (with both hard disks installed) . I can perform the normal admin functions...resetting passwords, checking status and the like and i'm able to "save" my settings.
I currently only have an Ubuntu machine so I can't view the device in Windows.  Normally (ie prior to the issue) I could view the device within the Ubuntu GUI by navigating to "Places"->"Network"->"Network Servers".  This no longer works.
While I was in the Admin Interface I set it to act as an FTP server and I'm able to access the device that way...just not in the "windows style" of access I was able to before (as a networked device)
Seriously strange.

#10 2008-08-08 06:00:36

bscott

Brain_of_J wrote:

While I was in the Admin Interface I set it to act as an FTP server and I'm able to access the device that way...just not in the "windows style" of access I was able to before (as a networked device)
Seriously strange.

All I can tell you is that you may need a Samba expert to figure this out for you.  I've been mystified by Windows networking since Win3.11 back in 1994... I mean, you can get it going most of the time, but between mysterious outages/slowdowns and hosts appearing and disappearing for no apparent reason, keeping it running has been a matter of POTM and CFAH (Phase Of The Moon and Cross Fingers And Hope) for me, as both a casual user and an IT admin.  It gets even weirder when you have non-Windows clients in the mix, and by the time my last Windows machine was retired I'd gone all NFS so I don't even have a setup like yours to draw experience from.

I'm sure better-educated people can figure out your problem, but in their absence, I'd just go NFS if I were you.  SMB is a nice backup for in case friends with laptops visit, or if you have to reinstall and lose your NFS settings, but it's just not what you want to use day-to-day when a better option is available.

#11 2008-08-08 17:21:09

Brain_of_J

bscott
thanks for the advice and i'm starting to agree with you.
it looks like i have a project for this sunday.
thanks for the help and i'll check back if i need any help.

Board footer