DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-07-31 10:40:18

ismora

A wish: dar for ARM (backup software)

Fordem is right: "RAID1 is for disk redundancy, not data backup".
So I wondered how to backup my data, given that I wanted to use DVD-R, which is not very practical when you want to save data sets bigger than 4GB.
Then I looked for a Linux software allowing me to backup my data, slicing it for DVD-R, and if possible with an incremental backup ability using a database of previous backups.
And... I found one!! This is "dar", for Disk ARchive, see http://dar.linux.free.fr/
I spent some time writing a script calling the program with all the good options, but now I can go back to a quiet sleep.

I use it to save the data on my DNS323, through the network, from my Mandriva box.
I guess it would be interesting to have it running directly on the 323. For this it should be cross-compiled for ARM. I must admit I don't know how to do this and I won't take the time to learn. So if other knowledgeable people here find the software useful, maybe they will be interested in building the binaries wink

DNS-323 • 2x Hitachi 500MB • RAID1 • FW1.04 • ext3 • Fonz's v0.5 fun_plug
DNS-325 • 2x WD Green 2TB • RAID1 • FW?.?? • ext3 • Fonz's v0.7 fun_plug

Board footer