DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-08-03 04:24:37

slandrs

Depend on something new and then it starts getting scary

After using my DNS-323 for about a year on a network using XP on RAID 1, the left drive indicator no longer illuminate suspecting perhaps a failed drive.  I've reseated the drive and performed several power cycles with no change.  I tried a new drive hoping for an automatic resync and no indication of success.  I tried logging in as admin to the array only to find that no combination of username or password will gain me access into the unit configurations and status.  I need some help to:
1. restoring mirroring
2. restore admin access
3. help with plan to rotate a third drive that can be kept off site as disaster recovery plan
4. discussion on dns to note whether this unit may be responsible for Windows notebook no longer able to access internet but can access cabled and wireless local network and networked resources.

While I cannot be considered a Windows administrator (no training but have admin rights), I've used Windows for almost 20 years now and am a professional UNIX and SAN administrator but have no UNIX or Linux systems on my network.  I have a copy of Ubuntu if needed.

While my profession relies on providing this type of assistance to others, I'm humbled now to ask for similar.  Help me and let me know how I may can help you.  Thanks

#2 2008-08-04 00:11:09

bq041

Re: Depend on something new and then it starts getting scary

1) A light out on a drive usually indicates a failed LED, not a drive problem.  It turns Amber / Purple when the drive has a problem.  What does the web admin tool say?  If you install ffp, you can telnet in and use mdadm to add a drive to the array and sync will begin immediately.

2) admin is the login name.  Try it with no password, or try passwords you know.  To no avail, do a hardware reset using the button on the back of the unit.

3) Bad idea.  This unit is not designed to do this and in its stock state bad things WILL happen.  I can elaborate, but if you search the site, you will find out why.  Each time the drive gets swapped, there are several files you would need to update manually (including in flash).  If you really want a third drive, get a USB enclosure and connect it via the USB port on the back.  See the wiki for USB support (ffp has this built in).

4) No, that is not possible.  Check your router settings and your settings on the notebook.  Make sure you have proper DNS servers set on the notebook.  You can probably use the router's ip address for it if it is a home setup.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#3 2008-08-04 01:47:26

vishcompany

4. discussion on dns to note whether this unit may be responsible for Windows notebook no longer able to access internet but can access cabled and wireless local network and networked resources.

4) No, that is not possible.  Check your router settings and your settings on the notebook.  Make sure you have proper DNS servers set on the notebook.  You can probably use the router's ip address for it if it is a home setup.

Sorry, if I disagree, I had this kind of situation only a few weeks ago in a small company. I had left the backup NAS (freecom single drive; will never buy this *bleep* again) on overnight (usually it's taken out of the drawer once a week for data backup), the next morning the whole office had no internet access. I finally found out, that all DHCP-client PCs had booked the address of this NAS as the primary DNS server. Once the NAS was taken off the network and the PC rebooted, everything was fine.
No clue, why and how this happened, but it definitely was this box' address.

Last edited by vishcompany (2008-08-04 01:47:44)

#4 2008-08-04 06:35:53

bq041

vishcompany wrote:

Sorry, if I disagree, I had this kind of situation only a few weeks ago in a small company. I had left the backup NAS (freecom single drive; will never buy this *bleep* again) on overnight (usually it's taken out of the drawer once a week for data backup), the next morning the whole office had no internet access. I finally found out, that all DHCP-client PCs had booked the address of this NAS as the primary DNS server. Once the NAS was taken off the network and the PC rebooted, everything was fine.
No clue, why and how this happened, but it definitely was this box' address.

This box is not set up as a DNS server, and in such cannot give out this information to client computers.  You are correct that it is possible.  However, the only 1 possibility of this is if this box is setup as a DHCP server on the network.  Since this is by default turned off, then somebody would have had to turn it on.  Even if this is the case, the computers on the network would still have had to get a lease from it and not another DHCP Server.  Also, this was setup as the DHCP server, then the person setting it up should have put in the correct gateway address, which in turn would still make it work correctly.

#5 2008-08-04 19:16:56

vishcompany

Well, believe it or not, but this little freecom box was definiteley NOT setup as a DHCP/DNS server, why should I take such a rediculous move. What I wanted to say is, that it - don't ask me how - had cahnged it's settings overnight and thus disturbed the network. All I can imagine is, that it also has a sort of automatism, if it sort of gets lost, it tries to act as a server. (a similar function is implemented in another NAS-box, which I happen to know pretty well, the IB-4220-B).
As the freecom-thingy was (and is) configured with a fixed ip-address, this simply should not have happened, nevertheless it did. And this is all I wanted to tell.

Last edited by vishcompany (2008-08-04 19:18:44)

#6 2008-08-04 21:39:38

fordem

vishcompany - let's look at your two posts together.

In the first one you tell us that ....

all DHCP-client PCs had booked the address of this NAS as the primary DNS server

and in the second that ....

this little freecom box was definiteley NOT setup as a DHCP/DNS server

What you've just done is confirm that the freecom box was not the cause of the problem, your DHCP server for some reason that you didn't bother to determine set the DNS server option incorrectly - if the freecom box was not doing DHCP duty then it could not have been responsible for the PCs acquiring incorrect information.

#7 2008-08-04 23:33:03

bq041

As the freecom-thingy was (and is) configured with a fixed ip-address, this simply should not have happened, nevertheless it did. And this is all I wanted to tell.

Beong set-up as a static ip address or a dynamic address has nothing to do with it.  It is the setup as a server that is important.  If the unit was set-up as a DHCP server, then I would expect it to be configured with a static IP adress.

#8 2008-08-05 03:04:59

vishcompany

@ fordem: I agree with you. The box actually cannot - or at least should not - be the reason for this incident.
The DHCP serving is done by a zyxel zywall, hooked up to a 24-port switch, managing about ten workstations, laptops, printers, some VoIP-phones, etc. Typical office business. Everything went flawlessly for months. Only this particular morning, the client PCs (having been switched off over night) could not reach the internet. After I had taken the freecom-box off the network, everything went back to normal.
The router's IP certainly was/is set as the gateway-address in the freeom box.
The IT-guy of the company set up two correct DNS in the router.

@ bq041: The box was and still is configured as a DHCP client.

Now, why all this had happened is hard to determine, because once I had discovered the wrong DNS in the PC and the box still running, i did not check it's settings (would have been interesting though, at least for this discussion), but simply switched it off.
When fired up again a few days later, everything worked as usually.

The firmwares (sometimes even the hardware) of consumer-NAS boxes simply are more or less buggy. You guys know this forum and it's wiki-issues-list much better than me, I know the 4220-forum pretty well, I checked the freecom-forum, when I started to find out, that this box does strange things (there are other bugs). Users are pointing out issues on each of these places. Some are small bugs, others are seriuously dangerous (I still remember my test-CH3SNAS formatting the "old" drive, after I had installed a second hdd).
I stopped thinking "this must not have happened, because I did everything right" a while ago with computers in general (doing the very same thing in word 10 times, but something completely different on the 11th try) and with NAS-boxes in particular (the 4220 not recognising some kinds of hdds, after it had been running for weeks smoothly. RS finally came up with an exchange-mainboard for everybody). I still like tech stuff, i just stopped believing , that it never fails (although I am very aware of the fact, that the biggest source of errors is to be found in front of the screen).

Board footer