DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-08-09 20:01:01

borgoe

funplug information request

hi guys,

Sorry i am not experienced at all about the working of the funplug at the dns-323. I just bought one and i want to use it for downloading. Now I download with grabit (nzb files). Does anybody know witch steps i have to take to start downloading?
Where can i find a BASIC userguide for using and installing the funplug??

#2 2008-08-19 08:29:36

bscott

Re: funplug information request

In all honesty, if you need documentation simpler than what's provided, fun_plug may not be for you.  It's a hack, exploiting a backdoor left by the makers of the DNS-323 to enable hobbyists to tinker around, not a finished product intended for use by people who don't really understand what it's all about.  There's no shame in not having this kind of background, but it's smart to know your limits and get a grounding in the basics before stepping out into uncharted territory!

#3 2008-08-19 13:11:30

borgoe

yes your are right, i notiched that it is complicated. Is it possible to help someone installing an nzb downloadprogram via remote control? Or is it to much work?

#4 2008-08-20 06:54:29

bscott

borgoe wrote:

yes your are right, i notiched that it is complicated. Is it possible to help someone installing an nzb downloadprogram via remote control? Or is it to much work?

No idea, I've never heard of them.  But it's less a matter of getting it going than it is of understanding the risk you're taking by fooling around under the hood.  What happens if/when something goes wrong down the road, and the first thing you try to get it going again ends up making matters worse - should whoever sets it up sit down and warn you about every possible failure mode?

And on another hand, a fuller understanding of what you're doing may well help you realize a simpler way to get the job done, or even some not-so-obvious reason why you shouldn't be approaching your goal in the way you're doing it.  Maybe downloading nzb on the DNS-323 isn't the best idea? 

And on the third hand, learning is good for you anyway, so it's not like I'm suggesting you pay more money or something.  I Googled "getting started in Linux" and got around 2.5 million links so it's not hard to find references, even if you ignore the good ones already posted to this forum by others.

It may be you're one of the first people to consider putting NZB on a low-end NAS like the DNS-323, so if you figure it out for yourself and document the journey for others, you might be doing a service to the community!

#5 2008-08-20 10:41:49

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

bscott wrote:

I Googled "getting started in Linux" and got around 2.5 million links so it's not hard to find references, even if you ignore the good ones already posted to this forum by others.

or http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2648-Gett … Linux.html

bscott wrote:

It may be you're one of the first people to consider putting NZB on a low-end NAS like the DNS-323

There's nzbget in ffp.

#6 2008-08-22 08:45:58

bscott

fonz wrote:

bscott wrote:

It may be you're one of the first people to consider putting NZB on a low-end NAS like the DNS-323

There's nzbget in ffp.

All you've really proven here is that I'm too lazy even to Google what "nzb" is in the first place... for all you know, I may have quite reasonably assumed it's a bank in Auckland or something.

Board footer