DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#101 2008-10-16 08:59:33

lekeur

Re: [REL] Transmission 1.3

Thanks. I will try this tonight.
Can you tell me the path to find the startup script ? Is it fun_plug.init in /ffp/etc ? (because I don't find "run commands" block in this file ?

Sorry again for these noobs questions.

edit : ok I found it (in /ffp : fun_plug file)
I add the line but it does nont work :

Code:

**** fun_plug script for DNS-323 (2008-08-11 tp@fonz.de) ****
Thu Oct 16 18:59:22 GMT 2008
ln -snf /mnt/HD_a2/ffp /ffp
* Running /ffp/etc/fun_plug.init ...
/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug: /ffp/bin: Permission denied
* Running /ffp/etc/rc ...
* /ffp/start/syslogd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/SERVERS.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/portmap.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/unfsd.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/transmission.sh ...
Starting transmission-daemon
Transmission 1.34 (6794) started
Port Forwarding: Opened port 51413 to listen for incoming peer connections
Blocklist "level1.bin" updated with 222644 entries
Blocklist "level1.bin" contains 222644 entries
Serving the web interface files from "/ffp/share/transmission/web"
Blocklist "level1.bin" contains 222644 entries
Loaded 4 torrents

Permission denied ... ?

Edit 2 : OK it works. I edited your line like this :

Code:

#add the following line before the block that says "# run commands"
chmod -x /ffp/start/transmission.sh

SO I finally post my transmission.sh edition :

Code:

name="transmission-daemon"
command="/ffp/bin/transmission-daemon"
start_cmd="transmission_start"
stop_cmd="transmission_stop"
status_cmd="transmission_status"
user=nobody

transmission_start()
{

if [ ! -d ${TRANSMISSION_HOME}-daemon ]; then
                su $user -c "mkdir ${TRANSMISSION_HOME}-daemon"
        fi
        echo "Starting transmission-daemon"
        su $user -c "$command -b -f
1>${TRANSMISSION_HOME}-daemon/$name.log 2>&1 &"
}

What's wrong ?

Last edited by lekeur (2008-10-16 20:19:37)

#102 2008-10-19 10:07:13

w00blyn

Hello
First off, thanks KyleK for all your efforts.  I'm totally new to linux, and tonight I've managed to get transmission/clutch installed and working, plus it's configured to download to the directory I want.  I even managed to make a script to automatically scan a folder and add torrents from it (all thanks to this post).  Here's the script:

Code:

#!/bin/bash

for file in /mnt/HD_a2/Downloads/!Incoming/*.torrent

do
if [ "$file" != "/mnt/HD_a2/Downloads/!Incoming/*.torrent" ]; 
then
echo [`date`] "$file" added to queue. >> /var/log/toradd.log
/ffp/bin/transmission-remote -a "$file"
rm "$file"
sleep 1
fi
done

exit 0

Now I just have to figure out how to use crontab wink

Does anyone know how to make transmission automatically remove torrents when they're finished downloading?

#103 2008-10-19 14:24:51

scarcow

w00blyn wrote:

Does anyone know how to make transmission automatically remove torrents when they're finished downloading?

I did a little script that stops the torrent when it reaches a certain ratio (1.0 at the moment) after it is fully downloaded. You can modify this to remove it instead of stopping (try 'man transmission-remote'). It assumes that you didn't change the default port for the interface (9091).

Code:

#!/bin/sh
#checkratio.sh to check the readyness of transmission downloads

PATH=/ffp/bin:/usr/bin:/bin:/ffp/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin

#uncomment the next two lines if you want logs
#transmission-remote localhost:9091 -l >> /ffp/log/checkratio.log
#date >> /ffp/log/checkratio.log
for torrent in `transmission-remote localhost:9091 -l |awk '$7=="Seeding"&&$6>=1{print $1}'`
do
#the next line is also only for logging
#  echo $torrent >> /ffp/log/checkratio.log
  transmission-remote localhost:9091 -t$torrent -S
done

And here is the start script that will put this into crontab - it runs the previous script every hour at the 27th minute. Please be aware that this will also spinup you drive, where the checkratio.sh script is.

Code:

#!/ffp/bin/sh

# PROVIDES: checkratio
# BEFORE: LOGIN

. /ffp/etc/ffp.subr

name="checkratio"
start_cmd="checkratio_start"
status_cmd="checkratio_status"
stop_cmd="checkratio_stop"
required_files="/mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/checkratio.sh"

checkratio_start()
{
  CRONTXT=/ffp/tmp/crontab.txt

# start with existing crontab
  /bin/crontab -l > $CRONTXT
  /bin/echo "27 * * * * /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon/checkratio.sh" >> $CRONTXT

# install the new crontab
  /bin/crontab $CRONTXT

# clean up
  /bin/rm $CRONTXT
  echo "$name started."
}

checkratio_stop()
{
  crontab -l |grep -v 'checkratio.sh' |crontab -
  echo "$name stopped."
}

checkratio_status()
{
  if [ `crontab -l |grep -c 'checkratio.sh'` -ge 1 ]; then
    echo "$name is running."
  else
    echo "$name is not running."
  fi
}

If you put this into the /ffp/start/ directory and make it executable it will start automatically when you boot your DNS. By the way, both of these are under ffp 0.5.

-sc

Last edited by scarcow (2008-10-19 14:26:44)

#104 2008-10-19 21:56:00

cheongseeker

Hi Kylek,

I would like to know if it is possible to have more than one user and password for the web login.  I've managed to follow your instruction

Code:

transmission-daemon -f -t -u myuser -v password -a +0.0.0.0/0

However, if I wish to have more than 1 username then how can I add in more user name and password?

Looking forward to your advice.

Thanks.

#105 2008-10-26 11:40:54

plasmaray

Hi, install all the required file to start up the transmission web.  The default location is download to: /
Where does the / refer to?  I got a permission denied after loading a torrents.  Help

#106 2008-10-26 16:23:37

DFreeze

Hey all. I've successfully installed Transmission on my CH3SNAS thanks to this forum. Many thanks to all involved for supplying this package!

My modem is of the cheap-ass kind, and can not be replaced since it is pre-setup from the provider (I can't access the settings to configure another modem with). Unfortunately, it allways chokes when downloading torrents, probably because of the frequent connections. Is there an option available that tells Transmission not to connect too fast (e.g. max. number of connections per second)? I've seen that with some torrent-programs, but can't find it in transmission.

Otherwise, I have to download at night, and restart my modem in the morning *every time*.

#107 2008-10-29 02:56:06

cibernauta

Hello,

my transmission says that i'm uploading at 18Mb/s or even more (see attachment) but my upload is 512kb/sec and the torrent site says that I'm not seeding anything.
The only solutin that I have is to restart transmission and it starts seeding for 2/3 hours more, before starting with the same issue. If I restart the box it last maybe all night but then the same.

hardware: dns 323
software: transmission 1.33 or 1.34 (tried both already)

Can you please help me out? Can't seed more that some hours, after that I must reboot to start seeding again sad

Attachments:
Attachment Icon Untitled-1.jpg, Size: 282,617 bytes, Downloads: 311

#108 2008-10-29 07:40:50

KyleK

Please head up to the makers of Transmission at www.transmissionbt.com and post on their forums. I'm just compiling the program for the NAS, nothing more.
It might be a bug with the web interface. You can check against  that by using the the command-line program "transmission-remote" to check the current status.
The commandline is "transmission-remote <rpc port> [-n user:pass] -l". If you use the standard port 9091 you can leave it. Same with user:pass. If you don't use these, leave the complete -n option.

May I say additionally that 27 torrents is wayyyyy too much to handle for a NAS has small as the DNS-323. You gotta reduce that to about 3 or 4!

#109 2008-10-29 12:18:25

plasmaray

After the file finished downloading, how to access it?  By the usual FTP method?
I had add "/mnt/HD_a2/Downloads/" at the preferences Download to:  On the next day (today), the settings revert back to /, the same goes for the upload/download rate.  Any idea why this happen?

Last edited by plasmaray (2008-10-29 13:34:29)

#110 2008-10-29 15:22:47

cibernauta

KyleK wrote:

Please head up to the makers of Transmission at www.transmissionbt.com and post on their forums. I'm just compiling the program for the NAS, nothing more.
It might be a bug with the web interface. You can check against  that by using the the command-line program "transmission-remote" to check the current status.
The commandline is "transmission-remote <rpc port> [-n user:pass] -l". If you use the standard port 9091 you can leave it. Same with user:pass. If you don't use these, leave the complete -n option.

May I say additionally that 27 torrents is wayyyyy too much to handle for a NAS has small as the DNS-323. You gotta reduce that to about 3 or 4!

Tks for the help.

I changed the torrents to only 2 instead of 27 and the problem persists. If someone else has any clue please hellllpp me oouuutt.

tks.

#111 2008-10-29 18:58:33

KyleK

plasmaray wrote:

After the file finished downloading, how to access it?  By the usual FTP method?
I had add "/mnt/HD_a2/Downloads/" at the preferences Download to:  On the next day (today), the settings revert back to /, the same goes for the upload/download rate.  Any idea why this happen?

If you start transmission using the included start/transmission.sh, then Transmission stores its settings (download folder, speed limits etc.) by default at /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon. If you want to use a different settings folder you have to edit that file.

If, however, you start Transmission directly (by typing 'transmission-daemon'), it will store its settings hat /home/root/.transmission-daemon, which sits on the flash and gets wiped every time you restart your NAS.
Therefore, I suggest you always use transmission.sh to start or stop Transmission, or at least use the -g switch when starting Transmission directly.

You may access downloaded data however you please. Most people access it via Samba/Windows File Sharing. FTP works too though.

#112 2008-10-30 17:56:27

cheongseeker

Hi Kylek,

I hope you are able to help with the following question that I had posted earlier.

Many thanks.

cheongseeker wrote:

Hi Kylek,

I would like to know if it is possible to have more than one user and password for the web login.  I've managed to follow your instruction

Code:

However, if I wish to have more than 1 username then how can I add in more user name and password?

Thanks.

#113 2008-10-30 18:58:43

KRH
Website

how about trying to get help from the transmission team and not the one that have spend time on compiling the program to work on the nas.

cheongseeker wrote:

Hi Kylek,

I hope you are able to help with the following question that I had posted earlier.

Many thanks.

cheongseeker wrote:

Hi Kylek,

Code:

Thanks.

First user to fun_plug the dns-323.

#114 2008-10-31 09:35:45

cheongseeker

Hi KRH,

Thanks for your suggestion.

#115 2008-10-31 10:47:50

plasmaray

KyleK wrote:

plasmaray wrote:

If you start transmission using the included start/transmission.sh, then Transmission stores its settings (download folder, speed limits etc.) by default at /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon. If you want to use a different settings folder you have to edit that file.

If, however, you start Transmission directly (by typing 'transmission-daemon'), it will store its settings hat /home/root/.transmission-daemon, which sits on the flash and gets wiped every time you restart your NAS.
Therefore, I suggest you always use transmission.sh to start or stop Transmission, or at least use the -g switch when starting Transmission directly.

You may access downloaded data however you please. Most people access it via Samba/Windows File Sharing. FTP works too though.

Now I cant even acces http://192.168.1.105:9091/transmission/web,  cant even use transmission.sh  start in telnet to start

#116 2008-11-09 11:22:48

TheCrescent

Hi,

I upgraded my firmware to 1.05 on DNS-323.

I have transmission 1.34 installed and working and am able to access through the following address: http://192.168.1.102:9091/transmission/clutch/#info

However when I upload a torrent file, I've tried a couple, no bytes are being downloaded.  Its stuck at 0.  I have put 192.168.1.102 in DMZ which didn't help, took it off then just port forwarded 51413 which should be the default port for transmission but that didn't help either.

I know the port is accessible as I have tested it through the following site: http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=51413

Another data point that is notable is that I couldn't get the native bittorent to download anything either that comes with DNS FW 1.05.

Please help, it was a pain getting transmission to install only to find out it doesn't work.

I have also noticed I don't have any Transmission directory in /mnt/HD_a2/ is that normal?

#117 2008-11-09 15:13:15

mcmurphy

Thanks for this nice client and all the good work, KyleK!

#118 2008-11-09 16:01:16

KyleK

TheCrescent wrote:

Hi,

I upgraded my firmware to 1.05 on DNS-323.

I have transmission 1.34 installed and working and am able to access through the following address: http://192.168.1.102:9091/transmission/clutch/#info

However when I upload a torrent file, I've tried a couple, no bytes are being downloaded.  Its stuck at 0.  I have put 192.168.1.102 in DMZ which didn't help, took it off then just port forwarded 51413 which should be the default port for transmission but that didn't help either.

I know the port is accessible as I have tested it through the following site: http://www.utorrent.com/testport.php?port=51413

Another data point that is notable is that I couldn't get the native bittorent to download anything either that comes with DNS FW 1.05.

Please help, it was a pain getting transmission to install only to find out it doesn't work.

I have also noticed I don't have any Transmission directory in /mnt/HD_a2/ is that normal?

1. Does the torrent download on any machine other than the NAS? (i.e. does it work with other clients)
2. Did you try with a popular and well-seeded torrent (I suggest the official torrents for Ubuntu or OpenOffice, they're very fast)
3. Transmission does not have support for DHT, so it will likely see a lot less peers than other clients.
4. How did you start transmission? You need to use the start script at /ffp/start/transmission.sh, otherwise it won't use the correct path. Kill the currently running transmission first: "killall transmission-daemon"
5. Maybe you need to enable encryption because your provider blocks/throttles bittorrent traffic. Type 'man transmission-remote' for further information.

Other than that I can't be of much help, and this really is not the place for this kind of problem. I'm only compiling the code for use on the NAS. For actual problems with the tool, please go to www.transmissionbt.com

#119 2008-11-09 16:08:24

KyleK

cheongseeker wrote:

Hi Kylek,

Code:

Thanks.

Transmission doesn't have any user rights management built-in. The option to use a login & password is only to block access for unwanted people (it's very simple HTTP authorization).
So even if you could specify multiple logins, they would all have the same rights in the web interface (add & delete torrents, pause them, change preferences etc.)

I highly doubt the devs will ever integrate something like user management, but you can always ask on their forums or create a ticket on their bug tracker. They're always open to ideas if you can provide code or a patch though.

#120 2008-11-09 20:07:05

TheCrescent

Thanks for the tip KyleK.

I tried with another clinet uTorrent one of the Ubuntu torrents and it worked.  I then tried it with Transmission and it didn't work.  I killed the service as you suggested and restarted it from /ffp/start/ using the following command: /ffp/start/transmission.sh start, still it didn't work.

Not sure what is wrong, but I am giving up for now as the native bittorent client doesn't work either.

#121 2008-11-09 22:01:25

KyleK

If you're somewhat familiar with the Linux shell, you can try the following:
1. Connect to the NAS via telnet/ssh
2. set the environment variable TR_DEBUG to 2: export TR_DEBUG=2
3. Start Transmission manually and in the foreground:

Code:

transmission-daemon -g /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon -f

You have to create that directory first if it doesn't exist yet.

A bunch of debu messages should be seen on the screen. Try to see if something shows up that might cause the problem. You can also post the log information here (best in a attached text file) and I'll have a look.

#122 2008-11-09 22:51:49

transient

Hi KyleK.. I was just about to try out your transmission build, but it looks like your webhost is down again. sad

#123 2008-11-10 06:10:28

vener

1.4 is out anyone can compile it for the nas?

#124 2008-11-10 07:40:02

KyleK

Patience, my young friend. I live in a different time zone than the devs :p
I'll probably do a compile tonight, if I have the time.

#125 2008-11-10 13:39:08

sokel

KyleK wrote:

Patience, my young friend. I live in a different time zone than the devs :p
I'll probably do a compile tonight, if I have the time.

F5,F5,F5....!!! wink

Board footer