DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1301 2010-09-09 15:38:15

TiVa

Re: [REL] Transmission 1.3

KyleK wrote:

AFAIK there's no funplug 1.0. Are you sure you aren't just referring to the normal NAS firmware?

Can you post a link to where you got that funplug?

EDIT: Found it. This looks like a modified version of funplug, specifically for the CH3HNAS.

What happens when you issue the command "su nobody -c ..."?
Type 'cat /etc/passwd' to make sure the user nobody exists. Otherwise you have to create a new user.

when i issue the command "su nobody -c ..."
i get the message: can't load sbin/nologin no such file
while the nologin is present in the sbin folder, so don't understand why it can't be loaded...

i tried with "sulogin nobody -c ...", then i get the message the user nobody doesn't exist

i guess the funplug for the CH3HNAS is too experimental at this point and i know too little about linux to get around the problems i stumble upon on installing extra software...

i also can't establish a ssh connection, only a telnet connection to my nas

Last edited by TiVa (2010-09-09 21:18:02)

#1302 2010-09-10 01:35:21

ABCC

KyleK wrote:

Error code 127 means "Command not found". Either Transmission was unable to find the script it should execute, or an executable that is referenced in the script has the wrong path.

Ah yes, I was merely calling 'transmission-remote' rather than /ffp/bin/transmission-remote. Thanks for the tip, with that addition my scripts are once again running like they ought to.

TiVa wrote:

Assuming conceptronic's funplug is like ffp 0.5 you'll need to manually enable it with a `chmod +x /ffp/start/sshd.sh`.

TiVa wrote:

i installed funplug 1.0 (for ch3hnas, provided by conceptronic itself) but can't install all the packages included in 0.5

Rather than use the funplug from conceptronic, why not use the one from http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/ ?

#1303 2010-09-10 08:16:55

KyleK

I'm not sure the binaries from funplug 0.5 are bit-compatible with the CH3HNAS. It might use different hardware, or just a different version of Linux.

#1304 2010-09-10 10:44:28

TiVa

ABCC wrote:

TiVa wrote:

Assuming conceptronic's funplug is like ffp 0.5 you'll need to manually enable it with a `chmod +x /ffp/start/sshd.sh`.

there isn't even a sshd.sh file in the start folder...

ABCC wrote:

TiVa wrote:

i installed funplug 1.0 (for ch3hnas, provided by conceptronic itself) but can't install all the packages included in 0.5

Rather than use the funplug from conceptronic, why not use the one from http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/ ?

won't install, so i'm bound to the 1.0 version...

#1305 2010-09-10 11:50:34

ABCC

Odd, according to http://www.conceptronic.net/site/deskto … mp;ni=2883 only the CH3MNAS has "funplug capability". I guess they mean that the CH3MNAS comes with their funplug preinstalled. Googling doesn't give many good results, but according to http://www.aroundmyroom.com/tag/ch3mnas/ funplug does work on the newer conceptronic nas'. That blog is run by  user zeroday on these forums, perhaps he can confirm whether or not fonz' funplug works.

Don't forget that it's easy to "dual boot" your NAS by swapping the drives around, handy for trying out different funplugs without destroying a working one.

#1306 2010-09-10 12:35:03

KyleK

Download openssh from here: http://inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/packages/  to your NAS

Then, in Telnet, type:

Code:

$ funpkg -i openssh-5.2p1-2.tgz

This should install SSH.
Then follow step 5 from here: http://dns323.kood.org/howto:1st_steps

If the DNS-323 packages work on the CH3HNAS, then you can basically follow every how-to or tutorial that is valid for the DNS-323 (or the CH3HSNAS).

#1307 2010-09-14 00:07:29

AdamBrunt

Ok, everything appears to be working fine (especially on the downloading side) - but I am not sure if uploading is working correctly.

I am using Transmission Remote GUI to 'monitor' what the Deamon is doing and whilst the Seeds and Downloading stats look correct I seem to only get Peers as 0/0 (x), where x seems like the correct number, and nothing for Upload. Despite this, the stats on the tracker site do show my upload amount as going up (albeit very slowly) and the Stats column is similar to what it reported on the tracker site.

Is there something I haven't done correctly ? Permssions not set perhaps ? Or is this just a 'bug' in the GUI I am using ?

#1308 2010-09-14 18:40:30

pchang

Hi Forum.

I have not been able to get transmission to work at all after many tries and I'm hoping someone will be able to help me.

Here's what my current environment consists of:

- installed Transmission 2.04 (Stopped/Restarted transmission via the transmission.sh script)
- Not sure what version of curl I have (How do I check version#)?
- The following 2 directories are owned by nobody
  /mnt/HD_a2/.transmission-daemon
  /mnt/HD_a2/bittorrent/Downloads
- in settings.json configuration file, I'm using *.*.*.* in the whitelist

I'm using port# 8181 and I'm able to bring up the web interface.  When I upload a torrent file in transmission, I see the torrent in transmission but nothing happens.  I tried the same bittorrent file using another client "utorrent" and I see that the torrent file gets downloaded.

I've stopped and restarted transmission multiple times and I've also shut down my DNS box but to no avail.

Can someone help what I'm doing wrong? 

Thank you for any feedback that you may have.

As a side note, I'm also using nzbget on my dns to download from newsgroups and that's working fine for me.

#1309 2010-09-21 21:41:01

KyleK

Transmission uses two different ports: one for the web interface, which is usually only accessed within your local network, and the BitTorrent protocol port, which is used to "talk" to the peers. The latter one has to be accessible from outside, so depending on your router and/or a firewall, you have to open that port.

Transmission supports UPNP and NAT-PMP to automatically tell the router which port to open, but the router has to support that feature.

#1310 2010-09-23 07:08:57

blizzak

Man, what a beast of a thread.  In trying to get my question answered and realizing you can't search a specific thread on these forums, I manually searched each page of this thread with the term "dynamic" and came up with nothing ("dns" would have come up with way too many hits).

So perhaps this question is not an issue, but I was wondering if it was possible to add dynamic DNS information to the device's whitelist.  I'd like to be able to remote in from wherever and manage torrents via the web interface.  A lot of places I will be are dynamic IP's so it would not be feasible for me to SSH in and add an IP to the whitelist each time I wanted to use the web interface.  Being able to specify a dynamic dns instead would be better but still not perfect.

Is there a way to disable the whitelist altogether or does someone know of another workaround which will let me access the web interface from wherever?

#1311 2010-09-23 13:29:07

sharks

Hi,
Can somebody say to me what command line I have to write for disabling the automatic launch of Transmission at the nas startup? please.

Thanks!

Last edited by sharks (2010-09-23 13:29:32)

#1312 2010-09-23 14:07:28

KyleK

sharks wrote:

Hi,
Can somebody say to me what command line I have to write for disabling the automatic launch of Transmission at the nas startup? please.

Thanks!

Here you go:

Code:

$ chmod -x /ffp/start/transmission.sh

(If you log in via SSH and not as user 'root', put "sudo" before chmod).

#1313 2010-09-23 14:15:35

KyleK

blizzak wrote:

Man, what a beast of a thread.  In trying to get my question answered and realizing you can't search a specific thread on these forums, I manually searched each page of this thread with the term "dynamic" and came up with nothing ("dns" would have come up with way too many hits).

So perhaps this question is not an issue, but I was wondering if it was possible to add dynamic DNS information to the device's whitelist.  I'd like to be able to remote in from wherever and manage torrents via the web interface.  A lot of places I will be are dynamic IP's so it would not be feasible for me to SSH in and add an IP to the whitelist each time I wanted to use the web interface.  Being able to specify a dynamic dns instead would be better but still not perfect.

Is there a way to disable the whitelist altogether or does someone know of another workaround which will let me access the web interface from wherever?

The easiest way is probably to allow any IP to access the web interface.
You have to forward the RPC port in your router so you can talk to it from the outside. And you have to disable the RPC whitelist.

(There's a setting in the settings.json to enable or disable the whitelist. Quit Transmission, edit the file appropriately, then start it again).

Another solution is to run a webserver (i.e. lighttpd) on the NAS, and configure it so that it redirects any requests to transmission-daemon.

The latter is a bit trickier to set up, but it gives you a lot more flexibility. I use this variant (although that is because back in the old days Transmission didn't have its own webserver, so you actually needed lighttpd in order to use the web interface).

#1314 2010-09-23 14:50:05

sharks

KyleK wrote:

sharks wrote:

Hi,

Thanks!

Here you go:

Code:

$ chmod -x /ffp/start/transmission.sh

(If you log in via SSH and not as user 'root', put "sudo" before chmod).

thanks, it works perfect smile

#1315 2010-09-23 17:21:45

sharks

KyleK,

My LAN activity led blinked always. I changed the rpc port and the torrent port. Since that, the lan activity led blink normally. Have you got an idea?

#1316 2010-09-23 19:14:14

FunFiler

Do you have Peer Exchange and/or DHT enabled?

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#1317 2010-09-24 07:48:18

blizzak

Transmission has been sorta unreliable so far for me but hopefully things will change.  I first fresh installed 2.04 (never had transmission installed before) but then realized my main private tracker won't allow it, so I downgraded to 2.03.  Installing 2.03 could have been cleaner but it seemed to go okay.  I'm just having some random crashing problems, doesn't appear to be much rhyme or reason to them.  Although last time it crashed, it did it just as I was trying to SSH in, so they seem to be related (out of memory/memory leak maybe?).  SSH becomes inaccesible after Transmission crashes but my Twonky web interface and the 323's factory web interface still work.

How is everyone else with a DNS-323 and 2.03/2.04 finding the reliability?  Long while back I configured the 323 with funplug and twonky and it has always been rock solid.  I even configured the funplug files to run off a USB drive so the drives wouldn't spinup so much.  The Transmission config directory I actually placed on the USB drive, in fact here's the initial config line:

su nobody -c "transmission-daemon -f -g /mnt/USB/.transmission-daemon -c /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-watchdir --incomplete-dir /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-incompletetorrents -w /mnt/HD_a2/transmission-downloads -t -u user -v pass -a 127.0.0.1,192.168.*.* -O -Y -ep"

I also disabled the whitelist in the settings.json file.  There's really no reason for me to SSH into the 323 anymore so it'll stop crashing because of that and we'll see how long it lasts for.  But if anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate them.  I don't know how much log reading I can do simply because I can't seemingly even SSH in right now.  Although I suppose if I removed the torrents and data using the web interface, things would get a lot more stable.  I will probably consider an uninstall/reinstall if the crashing persists, hopefully that would help.  Anyone got any uninstall instructions?

FunFiler, are you from funfile?  Because I notice you're using 2.04 yet that's not supported on funfile...

#1318 2010-09-24 14:47:59

FunFiler

I have no stability issues. I don't run SSH or Twonky though. My DNS323 with Transmission has run for 3 or so months before I've rebooted (for other reasons). I also recently installed and run most of my ffp stuff from a USB stick.

Sorry, I have no idea what funfile is or have no relation with them. I just grabbed 2.04 from the link from KyleK.

As for installing or uninstalling, I just use funpkg with the appropriate option to install, upgrade or remove apps.

#1319 2010-09-24 22:29:07

blizzak

Some sort of curse going on here...I only had to reboot the dns-323 once today.  I also decided to try the standalone client which appeared to really help stop the crashing as it had been stable ever since I started using it.  But as soon as I come on these forums to post up with my findings, it crashes right on cue.  I'm not gonna kill twonky anytime soon but I might disable SSH.  One thing that's for sure, I'll unforward my SSH port on the router...perhaps some stray packets are coming by and knocking it out each time any SSH request is sent (which is what I was seeing when I was at home).  I'll try that first actually.  If that doesn't help then I'll try reinstalling transmission...if I can SSH/telnet into the device even...

#1320 2010-09-25 10:22:40

sharks

FunFiler wrote:

Do you have Peer Exchange and/or DHT enabled?

It did that since the nas started and transmission wasn't launched (I verified with the command line "transmission.sh status").

#1321 2010-09-26 03:36:25

tontsakka

Hey there!

I just put my dns-323 working and run some trouble. Daemon seems working fine but dont recognize any scandinavian characters like ÖÖÖ ÄÄÄ sad  and some of my torrentfiles wont work.. any help? smile

i tried different things and it seems that I can download but cant upload straight away new torrents with those characters...

Last edited by tontsakka (2010-09-26 20:50:18)

#1322 2010-09-26 08:14:29

irotjaf

irotjaf wrote:

Hi Kylek and thank you for preparing Transmission 2.03

I had problems with 2.01 crashing every 1-3 days. Now I upgraded and the next day the problem arose again. It just kept crashing. Transmission stopped without any error in logs, without any specific reason. Moreover, the files had to be verified after the crash, which took many many many hours.

All this until... I disabled Google Desktop from all computers at home. It was for other reasons, but since then (3-4 days) transmission has not crashed at all. Yes, I had the NAS volumes listed to index with Google Desktop.

Does all this make sense? In particular, can Google Desktop be the reason for transmission crash? Maybe during parsing of files which Transmission is using?

Recently I also changed the way I logout with Transmission Remote (thinking that could be a reason after checking the logs and finding the crash happened when I closed T. remote). Instead of just closing the application now I always click Disconnect. Can this be a reason too?

Hope to get some insight about the problem here.

Thank you.

Hi Blizzak,
This was my problem with stability. Now its ok, never crashing since then.

#1323 2010-09-28 18:11:53

nau

could someone tell me how can i rename downloaded files?

#1324 2010-09-28 20:47:56

FunFiler

Once a file has been downloaded, it can be managed the same as any other file. Map a drive and rename in windows explorer or if you have telnet/ssh access then you can use the 'mv' command.

#1325 2010-09-28 22:37:41

blizzak

Well Transmission 2.03 is coming up on about 90 hours of uptime for me.  I haven't downloaded anything since resetting on Friday night, just been seeding 17 files.  I'm probably going to verify some more files tonight and download some as well; the file verification seems to be pretty tough on it so we'll see how she holds up.

irotjaf, thanks for the message.  I'm not sure what could have been causing my crashing but I don't have google desktop installed.  I haven't touched SSH in a while either though.

One thing that I wonder if anyone else is experiencing is slow LAN transfers while torrenting.  After enabling jumbo frames I was squeezing around 30 MB/s read off the DNS-323, now I'm getting like 7-8 MB/s.  I suppose the torrenting is pretty tough on the processor.  Price to pay for having an extremely low power torrent box I guess.

Board footer