DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-08-27 01:08:29

dmulligan

ushare vs twonky - which is better for XBox 360 media support

I am looking to be able to stream xvids etc to my xbox from my dns-323.  I understand that there is a ushare project coming soon and that there is already a package for twonky but it requires a pay registration.  What advantages does twonky have over ushare if any?

Thanks,
David

#2 2008-08-27 16:47:22

geegeez

Re: ushare vs twonky - which is better for XBox 360 media support

On my Xbox 360 ushare seems to have a 1000-file limit that I haven't been able to figure out how to get around.  My media collection sits at approximately 5200 individual files and I wasn't able to get ushare to show it in its entirety.  With Twonky (demo version) I was able to get all files to show up on my 360 media browser.  It was also significantly faster than ushare in terms of displaying the files in the media browser too.

However, I use a wireless connection, and both ushare and Twonky cannot play music properly over wireless.  Music will stop after 30 seconds to 1 minute of play and just dies off.  Video streaming works well enough over wireless, as well as pictures.  They don't seem to have problems over a wired network at all, so if you don't use wireless you should be okay. 

In short, I ended up using neither as they didn't suit my needs.  I ended up using my laptop as a media server (WMP11) streaming wirelessly to my 360, with no playback issues on video/audio/pictures.  From doing some Google searching, both Twonky and ushare have the same problem over wireless, so again if you're on a wired network you're not likely to run into any streaming issues with either program.

#3 2008-08-28 22:19:21

dmulligan

Interesting.  However since I am not currently wanting to stream music the 1000 file limit would work alright for me.  How do they differ in terms of offering new content?  I mean if I copy/move new content into the right place does either scan the new content?  Do I have to manually tell them that there are new files?  Other than the 1000 file limit are there other reasons to favour one over the other?

I wonder how WMP11 differs from the linux based solutions in terms of wireless streaming.  I will be using a wired connection between my NAS box and my xbox but I do have several wireless computers.

#4 2008-08-29 19:28:14

geegeez

I know that there's a refresh script for ushare that another user on this forum (RimBlock) wrote so that media files get updated regularly.  I'm not sure how Twonky approaches new files being added but I imagine that it has a similar function. 

As for choosing between the two, just try both and see for yourself.  The Twonky demo is full-featured and works for 30 days I believe.

#5 2008-09-02 11:41:17

BikNorton

I've found that if I turn on DLNA support in ushare so that my PS3 can see the DNS323 properly, my 360 can no longer connect to it. Which is frustrating.

#6 2008-09-13 22:56:47

jmcqup

While I am very (VERY) new to Linux and the DNS 323 based on the advice on this forum I went straight to installing Twonky. It works a perfectly to stream music and video through my X-Box 360 with more than 5000 files. Thanks for a great forum! -james

Board footer