DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-08-31 19:48:01

nurunet

CH3SNAS: Various questions

Hi there!

I just bought myself a CH3SNAS. Now I'm a little confused, whether or not this was a good idea. I had thought that RAID functionality would be a great thing for data security, but then I read in this forum that RAID is good for maximum up-time, rather than data security. Now I wonder, whether the NAS was a good choice or if two USB-HDD-cases would have been a better choice. They would come a lot cheaper than the NAS with HDDs of the same capacity, and I could use one of them for storage and run a backup with rsync/robocopy every evening.

The network functionality of the CH3SNAS would be a nice extra, as well as the print server. On the other hand, is it worth EUR 130,00? So, I've got some questions left.

Is it possible to use another file system on the CH3SNAS? Reading this forum, I came to the conclusion that ext2 is a little touchy. Could I use NTFS instead? The pro would be, that I have got some quite good data recovery software for NTFS.

Then again, I really like the idea of running extra software on the CH3SNAS. However, I guess there is hardly any of the extras I'd really need. I couldn't find a list of fun_plug-Software with short information on what it is good for. Is there some sort of commented repository? (Yes, I know the wiki. There isn't much info on what the optware actually does.)

Last but not least, I saw a thread about smartmontools in this forum. What sort of output does smartmontools offer on a CH3SNAS? Can you access it over the web interface or only via telnet?

So many questions. Have a nice Sunday evening though!
Ben

Conceptronic CH3SNAS FW 1.03, ffp from USB key.

#2 2008-08-31 23:56:05

bq041

Re: CH3SNAS: Various questions

EXT2 is fine.  DLink had some problems with early firmwares (1.02 and lower), but seem to have straightened them out.  There are other filesystems you can use, but you really need to be very proficient in Linux to use them.  The DNS only supports ext2 via the web admin tool.  You do not want to use NTFS at all.  I have done a little playing around with it on the DNS and very bad things can happen.  Since the DNS is a Linux machine, a linux native format is best (ext2, ext3, minix, etc.). 

If you search the forum for rsync, you will find several people who use this to back up one hard disk to another using 2 disks in standard mode.  This provides the backup.  If you have only 1 computer at home and all you want is a backup, 2 USB devices may be exactly what you want.  The DNS does have wonderful functionality and fun_plug add-ons, but how much that is worth can only be determined by you.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#3 2008-09-01 00:04:16

hell0

nurunet wrote:

Then again, I really like the idea of running extra software on the CH3SNAS. However, I guess there is hardly any of the extras I'd really need. I couldn't find a list of fun_plug-Software with short information on what it is good for. Is there some sort of commented repository? (Yes, I know the wiki. There isn't much info on what the optware actually does.)

http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/PACKAGES.html
http://ipkg.nslu2-linux.org/feeds/optwa … e/Packages

CH3SNAS firmware 1.05 with WD1000FYPS and ffp 0.5 on USB Stick

#4 2008-09-01 12:24:18

nurunet

Hi there,

and thanks so far for your replies. You're great! I still wonder about S.M.A.R.T. I read that smartmontools run on the CH3SNAS (http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2024-SMAR … 23%3F.html). Do they offer any possibility to check the disks' S.M.A.R.T.-attributes periodically and send the admin an email, if something is wrong? In http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t1624-Remo … ring.html, I found the hint to use Nagios client on the NAS, but I do not run a Linux server. So, this is no solution. Any suggestions?

I'd love to have constant monitoring for HDD health.

Greetings, earthlings!
Ben

Conceptronic CH3SNAS FW 1.03, ffp from USB key.

Board footer