DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-09-03 10:38:19

c9806103

Left hand side hard disk LED never lights up or detected!

Hi All,

I have a brand new DNS-323. It came with 1.04 firmware. I have just updated to 1.05 firmware.

I have two brand new SAMSUNG 500Gb SATA drives and also a Seagate 320Gb SATA drive.

Now regardless of which drive I plug in and their configuration, when I power up the DNS-323, the left hand side disk LED NEVER lights up!
It only seems to detect drives in the right hand side bay..

If I ignore this anyway and login to the web configuration utility, the drive detector thing at the start only displays one drive detected.

Both SAMSUNG disks are brand new and the Seagate drive is only 1 year old and works fine in another external USB HDD case.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, is there a quick fix or explanation, or is my unit busted and now I have to go through hell getting a refund?

Thanks heaps in advance.

Aaron.

#2 2008-09-03 10:46:05

bq041

Re: Left hand side hard disk LED never lights up or detected!

If you plug in only a drive in the left (none in right) does it work?  If it does not, you probably got a bad DNS.  If it does, you probably have a bad power supply.  The right drive is the the first one to pick up and the left drive is second (right=drive 0, left=drive 1).

Last edited by bq041 (2008-09-03 10:46:55)

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#3 2008-09-03 10:56:15

c9806103

Hi there,

Thanks for the fast reply!

If I plug in ONLY 1 drive in the LHS, it still DOESN'T detect the disk, i.e. no disk lights come on. So if I continue and let the unit boot up, it finds no hard disks when I run the web config/wizard utility etc.

On the phone RIGHT NOW to DLINK support, a lady just asked me all about it, now i'm on hold and she's going to find something out...

I actually have another identical power supply that I could try just as a test for the hell of it.. Might do that, thanks for the idea. But I have a feeling the DLINK is just dead ;(

Regards

Aaron.

#4 2008-09-03 11:10:03

c9806103

After the troubleshooting I described to them over the phone, they simply said "We'll send you out a replacement".

Because I have only had this item for < 1 month.

Great that they were easy to get along with. DAMNIT that my thing is busted and that's however many more weeks until I have my NAS back up online.

That's electronics and mass-production in the 2000's for you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I reckon this is how bad it is getting thesedays, for every 5 electronic devices/gadgets you buy thesedays, chances are that one of them will be faulty and cause a hassle. It seems to be about a 1 in 5 chance for me, for anything at all related to computers that I buy.

Thanks a lot for your help.

Aaron.

#5 2008-09-03 15:27:04

fordem

For anyone else who has this problem and may be out of warranty - the drives plug into separate "paddle" cards which in turn plug into the main PCB, try reseating the paddle cards as the first step.

#6 2008-09-03 15:43:43

rap

fordem wrote:

For anyone else who has this problem and may be out of warranty - the drives plug into separate "paddle" cards which in turn plug into the main PCB, try reseating the paddle cards as the first step.

I might give this a try - both my left and right LEDs have failed and also the dim light that used to show when the discs spin down sad

RAP

#7 2008-09-03 16:43:43

fordem

rap wrote:

fordem wrote:

I might give this a try - both my left and right LEDs have failed and also the dim light that used to show when the discs spin down sad

RAP

The LEDs are on the main PCB - so reseating the paddle cards is unlikely to solve that problem - and I don't know if it's just my imagination, but blue LEDs seem to me to have a higher failure rate than the other colors, and in fact, they are the only ones I've seen go dim, before they go out altogether.

Board footer