DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-03-05 01:04:11

WildSioux

FTP Newb: How to access from outside world?

Hello first post here, I have two of these DNS 323 boxes.  I bought one for my parents with 2-250gb Seagate barracuda drives.  After setting their box up with the original firmware, Raid 1 EXT 3 and copying 20gb of files with some missing, I found out later that EXT 3 was unstable through reading these forums.  So I reformatted and just did 2 seperate drives under EXT 2.  It has since then been updated to the 1.02b firmware with Raid1 and no problems.   In mine I have 2-320gb Seagate barracuda drives with the original firmware, Raid1 and EXT2.  I will be updating mine to the 1.02b firmware once I find time.  Both boxes have been on 24/7 for 3 months straight without any problems other than the EXT3 issue.

Today, on mine I setup a FTP for mine music folder I have on it.  I can access it on my fiances wireless laptop and on my computer connected to the network at home no problem.  This is with port 21 forwarded.  I have been trying to access it here at work but its not working. 

What do I type in internet explorer to access it at work, or on the wireless laptop at a coffee shop?  It should be ftp://"WHAT GOES HERE"????

Sorry for the dumb question but I am new to this.  I don't know anything about Linux.  Is there something I need to change in the settings or a file somewhere? 

Accessing the FTP folder at home I can only open up one music file at a time.  So for music and pictures, would UPnP server or iTunes server be better?  I use Windows Media player for music and normally picture viewer for pictures.

I would also like to be able to use FTP to post pictures to a website for occaisionaly selling stuff or for family members to view.  Is this possible?

Thanks for any help.

#2 2007-03-05 02:23:27

kimhav
Website

Re: FTP Newb: How to access from outside world?

Regarding the ftp problem, try to check the wiki for the dns-323 first to see if that solves the problems you have.

If you want to use your browser for ftp access the url should look like this:

ftp://userid:password@192.168.0.10/

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden
http://kim.haverblad.se

#3 2007-03-05 16:05:57

jiggysmb

My FTP worked for a few weeks and then I upgraded FW and couldnt connect.  I was able to change an option for Passive FTP and it worked for a few days but now nada.  Is it not recommended to use IE?

#4 2007-03-05 21:50:13

kimhav
Website

I'm running with the current 1.02 eu fw and it works fine both internal and external to access it via ftp. The external connection is via Intertex IX68 unit using NAT. No problem at all. I know that answer doesn't help you out. But, you can't even access it internal via ftp? I don't know, but could it be that the fw has changed some of the config parameters so that you might need to redo all the configuration of the unit?

Last edited by kimhav (2007-03-05 21:56:22)

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden

#5 2007-03-06 05:06:18

WildSioux

kimhav...I checked out that wiki for the DNS323 and I need to look at it more since it is greek to me.  There was something about changing some paramters in a file to show the what my routers IP address is on the internet.

Just to verify, I can access the ftp internally on my own network at home.  But here at work, I tried what you said above with the ftp://userid:password@192.168.0.10/  I realize the 192.168.0.10 isn't my IP address so I changed it to mine at home.  But its still not working...

Could it be that there is a firewall at work preventing access to this kind of thing???

#6 2007-03-06 08:57:49

Apskaft

WildSioux wrote:

kimhav...I checked out that wiki for the DNS323 and I need to look at it more since it is greek to me.  There was something about changing some paramters in a file to show the what my routers IP address is on the internet.

Just to verify, I can access the ftp internally on my own network at home.  But here at work, I tried what you said above with the ftp://userid:password@192.168.0.10/  I realize the 192.168.0.10 isn't my IP address so I changed it to mine at home.  But its still not working...

Could it be that there is a firewall at work preventing access to this kind of thing???

As I've written in the wiki, the problem you're facing are NAT related and can be fixed. The first thing you should check is your firewall/router/nat capabilities. Many routers out-there can fix this for you. The DGL-4300 has it's Virtual Server which does this for you. Most likely your router has similar features, consult the manual.

If your router does not support this, the second option is to try active (port). In your ftp client, disable PASV(passive) and and enable PORT (active). However, if both the server and client are behin NAT then this is not an option and you need to manually edit the /etc/ftpaccess file on the unit as described in the wiki.

And, remember to redirect port 21, 65501-65510 in your router so that they are sent to the DNS (192.168.0.10).

/Apan

#7 2007-03-06 19:48:00

votum

Sorry if I post a double post here but I need to get an answer...
I read the wiki but I couldn't find the answer there. I try to access via FTP on my external IP (as found here; http://www.canyouseeme.org/) but the IP changes from now and then. I guess it's becuase my supplier (Telia) uses dynamic IP. How do I solve that? I mean, I don't know if the IP has changed if I try to access my DNS from work.

A little help is wanted from a dumb newbie... ;-)

#8 2007-03-06 20:27:45

kimhav
Website

Well, regarding the dynamic IP issue, ie that your IP changes once a while can be partly solved by using for example DynDNS.org. What you do is to create an account there that then will map your dynamic IP to an domain name, for example votum.dyndns.org. But, to get it to work you have to run a dyndns client, this can either be done from a client or server. Also a lot of routers supports dyndns so that your router will update your dyndns data when your IP changes.

Another things is that you can't access your own public IP from the inside, so you need to get someone to test for you from the outside.

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden

#9 2007-03-06 22:35:13

WildSioux

Apskaft wrote:

And, remember to redirect port 21, 65501-65510 in your router so that they are sent to the DNS (192.168.0.10).

/Apan

I set the redirect port 21, 65501-65510 in the virtual server list for my router (Belkin Pre-N).  I tried again at work to access but its not working.

Right now, I have it set to the actual IP address that the DNS-323 is set to.  I am going to try this 192.168.0.10 and see if it works.

At home on either my computer or the wireless laptop:  ftp://192.168.x.x and it works.  But at work, it doesn't recognize it.  I understand that the home is the inside network and it works fine.  But being able to access it at work or other places is turning out to be a challenge.

Sorry if I don't know what I am doing but am looking for help.

#10 2007-03-06 22:53:41

votum

WildSioux wrote:

I set the redirect port 21, 65501-65510 in the virtual server list for my router (Belkin Pre-N).  I tried again at work to access but its not working.

Right now, I have it set to the actual IP address that the DNS-323 is set to.  I am going to try this 192.168.0.10 and see if it works.

At home on either my computer or the wireless laptop:  ftp://192.168.x.x and it works.  But at work, it doesn't recognize it.  I understand that the home is the inside network and it works fine.  But being able to access it at work or other places is turning out to be a challenge.

Maybe I'm way off here and maybe I haven't read the post well enough, but aren't you supposed to use your external IP when accessing from the outside? 192.168.0.10 is the internal IP isn't it? Find out here http://www.canyouseeme.org/ what's your external IP.
Since my IP is changing all the time due to dynamic IP I got help from kimhav to set up dydns. See post above.

Good luck.

#11 2007-03-06 22:59:29

kimhav
Website

Correct 192.168.x.x IP-serie can only be accessed on the inside or on the local network. Another resource to figure out the public IP is http://whatismyip.com

Last edited by kimhav (2007-03-06 23:44:41)

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden

#12 2007-03-06 23:40:28

WildSioux

Ahha (I hope), I am at work now so I can't try this canyouseeme.org link.  But when I get home I will see what the external IP address is and then try tomorrow at work.  This is the problem...I just didn't know how to find the external IP so I had no idea what to type in the ftp client.

#13 2007-03-07 07:10:26

votum

There you go. Now you can get it to work. Just remeber, if you have dynamic IP it will change thus "killing" your FTP-setup unless you fix a dyDNS client.

#14 2007-03-07 09:03:15

phil

If we don't sign up for dyndns there is another way to figure out the ip address... enable the email alerts and set it to 1 hour (or whatever) and the box will send emails to our email account.  In the email client (for example Outlook), click View - Options and our latest IP address will be listed there.  Then we know where to find this box over the internet and can ftp it...

cool D-Link DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda 7200.9 ST3500641AS 500GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB NCQ • RAID1 • F/W: 1.03 • ext2
cool D-Link DSM-320RD MediaLounge Streaming Media Player with DVD and Card Reader • F/W: 1.04 • wired network
big_smile D-Link DSM-510 MediaLounge Streaming Media Player • HDMI 1080i • F/W: 1.07 • wired network

#15 2007-03-07 09:48:36

Apskaft

Dynamic IP + NAT + wu-ftpd doesn't work. Every time the external IP changes, changes has to be made to the /etc/ftpaccess and the ftp deamon has to be restarted.

The only way to get this working is to write some script which occasionaly (cron) ping's an external note, finds the IP, modifies the /etc/fptaccess and restarts the fpt-deamon.

If your router supports virtual ftp server, then that's the proper way to get this working.

For a free and simple dynamic DNS service, check out http://freedns.afraid.org - a simple wget in your fun_plug or in a cron job will set the IP.

/Apan

#16 2007-03-07 11:24:23

votum

Hmmm... So, apskaft, what you're saying is that it's not possible to get it to work? I've set up an FTP using dydns and I can access all files and folders from work but there seems to be some issues copying them to my work computer. The copying never starts. The window "copying" is there but nothing seems to happen...
Too slow upload rate or what?

"Help me if you can I'm feeling down..." (Beatles)

#17 2007-03-07 12:28:35

Apskaft

votum wrote:

I can access all files and folders from work but there seems to be some issues copying them to my work computer

If you can access the file-listings from work then you should be able to download. Assuming PASV, this is how it works - in essence:

1. Client and server communicates on port 21, sending commands and responses (Ok/Not-Ok),
2. When the client sends a command, the server answers with IP and port
3. Client opens a data channel on IP+port and downloads or uploads the content, depending on command
4. Client closes the data channel
5. Goto step 2

The command can be LIST, STOR, RETR, etc. and the result can be directory listing, a file, etc.

The client will (mostly) stay connected on port 21, which allows it to send new commands and initiate more work for the server - in parallell. And, most important, the client can also send ABORt to cancel an ongoing transfer.

The DNS-323 is setup to use port 21 for commands. This can be modified using the WEB GUI. It is also setup to use the range 65501-65510 for the data part. This can also be modified, but only by editiing the /etc/ftpaccess.

The problem with Dynamic IP and ftp servers behind NAT is that the servers doesn't know that they're behind NAT. They think they are on the internet. A ftp-server behind NAT must be told that it's behind NAT - or discover it. Wu-ftpd cannot discover this and must be told which IP to send (step 2 above) to the client. If the externa IP changes, then Wu-ftpd has to be re-configured and re-started before it can work properly again. Sure, step 1 works fine but the client will try to fetch the data from a another server.

The problem you're facing, might and only might, be proxy related. Your corporate proxy maybe doesn't close the data sockes immediately. After 10 dir-listings, there will be no ports left for the wu-ftpd to use. Try to increase the span (65501-65510 => 65000-65100) that wu-ftp can use to see if it works better.

votum wrote:

So, apskaft, what you're saying is that it's not possible to get it to work?

Oh, it's possible but my strong opinnion is that this should be solved in the router and not in the ftp server. Basicly, a virtual server will interfer the communication on port 21 and replace the IP the server thinks it has with the real external IP.

Generally, Dynamic IP + NAT + servers is a bad combination. Remove one and it'll work. If you insist of keeping all three, then perpare for heavy configuration of your equiment.

For more information, see rfc 959

/Apan

#18 2007-03-07 12:33:11

votum

Maybe I'm having these problems 'cause I never opened the ports 65501-65510 in Virtual Server in my router. I only have port 21 open for the FTP.

#19 2007-03-07 12:44:49

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Apskaft wrote:

Generally, Dynamic IP + NAT + servers is a bad combination. Remove one and it'll work. If you insist of keeping all three, then perpare for heavy configuration of your equiment.

The only real problem is dynamic IP, because it disrupts all established connections. NAT can work well if carefully implemented, but that seems to be hard (e.g. netgear ships fucked up NAT in their WPN824). Dynamic IP without NAT is still annoying, even if not having/using local servers.

#20 2007-03-07 20:41:15

kimhav
Website

Apskaft wrote:

Dynamic IP + NAT + wu-ftpd doesn't work. Every time the external IP changes, changes has to be made to the /etc/ftpaccess and the ftp deamon has to be restarted.

Are you ref to the DNS-323 with above? Since this can't be true since I checked when the public IP changed and there was no difference when connecting to the ftp server from the outside so no restart of the ftp daemon was needed. Running with fw 1.02 EU version.

Kim Haverblad
Klagshamn, Sweden

#21 2007-03-07 23:51:08

WildSioux

SUCCESS!!!!  I found out my IP address at home this morning by using that www.canyouseeme.org link, just tried it here at work and the FTP server is working!  This is setup on my router with ports 21, 65501-65510 opened.  Now, I can't remember if I have Dynamic IP or dyDNS client.  How would I check this setting?  In my router?

My next question is, how secure is this FTP server?  And can I limit access to user and time of day?  I have a password set up on it now.  But I just don't want anyone to go on and see what I have.

Next thing I need to do is setup a folder for pictures so I can have family and friends view them online.

#22 2007-03-08 00:14:15

votum

Apskaft wrote:

The problem you're facing, might and only might, be proxy related. Your corporate proxy maybe doesn't close the data sockes immediately. After 10 dir-listings, there will be no ports left for the wu-ftpd to use. Try to increase the span (65501-65510 => 65000-65100) that wu-ftp can use to see if it works better.

I'm trying to figure out how to open the ports 65501-65510 in virtual server in my DIR-635. It is only possible to open one port at a time there. Is it possible to open them up using Port Forwarding?

#23 2007-03-08 05:05:24

WildSioux

I have been messing with this some more.  I have a bunch of mp3's in a folder and when I log on I can see all of the mp3's, but very few of them play.

When I double click on the file it opens another internet explorer window.  Sometimes it will give me the "This page cannot be displayed" and nothing more happens.  And sometimes it will open the media player to start playing (very few of them do this though).

Then there are those that open and, I get an error something like this...

0xC00D1197: Cannot play the file
Windows Media Player cannot play the file. You may encounter this error message for one of the following reasons:

Your computer is not connected to the local area network (LAN) or to the Internet. Connect to the network or Internet, and then try again.
The path to the file is not valid. If you typed a Uniform Resource Locator (URL) in the Open URL dialog box, ensure that the file name is spelled correctly and the path to the file is correct, and then try again. If you clicked a link on a Web page, the link may not be valid.
The server is down or busy. Try again later.
Some network protocols in the Player are not enabled. Enable all network protocols, and then try again.
The proxy server settings for the Player are not configured properly. Verify that your proxy settings are correct, and then try again.

I tried to go into the settings, but there is little I can do there since I don't know what the proxy settings are.

Any other suggestions?

#24 2007-03-08 08:20:33

Apskaft

kimhav wrote:

Apskaft wrote:

Are you ref to the DNS-323 with above? Since this can't be true since I checked when the public IP changed and there was no difference when connecting to the ftp server from the outside so no restart of the ftp daemon was needed. Running with fw 1.02 EU version.

Yes, I am and I'm quite certain that it's like that. This is why I strongly suggest to solve this issue in the router because the router will 'fix it' for you. If you only make a port forward of 21, 65501-65510 to the DNS-323 and uses PASV then you must change the configuration files.

If you have Virtual Server enabled in your router or if you're using PORT then it'll work.

/Apan

#25 2007-03-08 08:48:35

Apskaft

WildSioux wrote:

Any other suggestions?

Seriously, are you trying to stream music from the DNS-323 over the internet using ftp? Don't. The protocol or the server was not made for it. If you want to stream over the internet I suggest that you instead install lighttpd and stream using http instead.

/Apan

Board footer