DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-09-10 10:41:25

ismora

input/output error

Yesterday evening I had yet another interesting thing happening: while doing quite intensive use of the DNS323, suddenly any read/write attempt to my (unfsd) NFS-mounted home directory gave me an "input/output error".

I quickly connected using ssh, and rebooted into fonz fsck ramdrive: first strange thing is that e2fsck did not report any error at all.
Second strange thing is that after issuing the "reboot" command after fsck, the DNS323 did not reboot successfully, and started an endless loop of unsuccessful reboots. I had to cut the power and turn it on again to return to normal state.

Did anybody here encountered this kind of behavior?
What can be the cause for this "input/output error" as the file system did not appear corrupted (the most frequent cause I think for that kind of message)? Maybe an unfsd crash?

DNS-323 • 2x Hitachi 500MB • RAID1 • FW1.04 • ext3 • Fonz's v0.5 fun_plug
DNS-325 • 2x WD Green 2TB • RAID1 • FW?.?? • ext3 • Fonz's v0.7 fun_plug

#2 2008-09-25 14:00:19

ismora

Re: input/output error

I had this error once again, while compiling C++ sources on the DNS.
Obviously, the lack of remaining memory caused the DNS to crash, and not only unfsd, but likely at the kernel level (DNS not even reachable any more with ping, or anything). I had to unplug the power cord to reboot the DNS.

Am I the only one encountering this?

I was once again very happy, because as usual it happened late at the end of an evening of work, and then I had to spend more than one hour watching a fsck with multiple times reclaimed blocks resolution.
I switched to ext3 hoping for faster recovery next time (I am now confident that there will be a "next time"), following bspvette86's instructions; thanks to him for his post on the subject.

DNS-323 • 2x Hitachi 500MB • RAID1 • FW1.04 • ext3 • Fonz's v0.5 fun_plug
DNS-325 • 2x WD Green 2TB • RAID1 • FW?.?? • ext3 • Fonz's v0.7 fun_plug

Board footer