DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-09-17 19:58:35

kennedy101

Optware or Debian/chroot - Is there a performance hit for using Debian

First I would consider myself an expert linux user. I stumbled onto the DNS-323 while looking for ways to keep my file server online (P4 Prescott HT, 600 watt power supply - need i say more about power usage, heat and noise issues?) and save some money in the long run on my power bill. Plus keeping the fans on to circulate the air in my office is an eye sore. So I starting looking for a very hackable NAS. What a little wonder this 323 is, and may i compliment the community for all the howto's, well organized site, and last it's members for making this easy!

OK, onto what I know i need out of my slim low power replacement server. Initially I would like an openvpn gateway and file server. An added print server for two printers, both GDI (HP 1018, Epson R200), moving all /tmp and print spooling to a USB stick (spin down drives), and finally add two external USB hard drives. Anything else would be built up after I have my essentials back online.

Having become accustomed to a full featured Ubuntu or Slackware box at my disposal when I ssh to my server I am curious how stripped down the toolsets are when using optware? If I were to "trick" out optware with all the possible toys I would want would there be a substantial performace hit (limited 64meg RAM)? Would I be better off to stick to what I know, a full featured linux OS with all the flat files I am used to modifying ect, versus learning all the scripting needed for funplug and optware?

Last, if i do choose to chroot to get a full blown debian install is there a noticeable performance hit? Knowing that I want the device to do (file server, vpn gateway, print server (multiple printers), and usb drives is Debian an easier install to get up and running?

DNS 323 (Hardware B1, Firmware 1.06). 2x 1.5TB Seagate HDs.
Chroot Debain (Lenny) on USB (not reloaded). Edna server. USB print server. USB drives added to samba share. All init.d scripts in place.
Future projects: FFP reloaded then chroot on B1 hardware.

#2 2009-09-18 23:43:52

kennethxu

Re: Optware or Debian/chroot - Is there a performance hit for using Debian

kennedy,
I'm wondering the same question as you had. Would you mind to share what you have finally settled down. optware or chroot?
Thanks,
Kenneth

#3 2009-09-19 00:12:34

kennedy101

Re: Optware or Debian/chroot - Is there a performance hit for using Debian

I dont really think there is a difference in performance other than more RAM is used. I have kept an eye on my swap usage and dont ever see more than 10,000 bytes in use - it's usually at zero though. That's with openvpn and some other apps running. Just my two cents, but it's hard to beat the debian after it's upgraded to lenny. I'll take the hit on RAM for ease of use!

DNS 323 (Hardware B1, Firmware 1.06). 2x 1.5TB Seagate HDs.
Chroot Debain (Lenny) on USB (not reloaded). Edna server. USB print server. USB drives added to samba share. All init.d scripts in place.
Future projects: FFP reloaded then chroot on B1 hardware.

Board footer