DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-09-26 08:50:37

puterboy

Changing password via web deletes user...

When I tried to change one of my user's password via the web, his account DISAPPEARED.
Specifically, the user name was deleted from the password and shadow files but not from the group files (indeed grpchk reported this as an error).

I then carefully restored the password and shadow files from a backup and also ran store-password.sh to save it to flash.

Everything now looked good both at the Linux file level and on the web interface with the user restored. Except for one weird inconsistency.
The user appeared properly in the "list of all users" and "users in group" under group settings and also appeared properly in the Group List table (as belonging to the proper group). Also, the Network Access list (and corresponding /etc/samba/smb.conf and /mnt/HD_ar/.systemfile/smb.ses files) were magically intact (and never erased).

However, in the User List, there was *no* group listed under his name (even though conversely his name appeared properly in the Group List).

Also, when I again tried to change his password, once again he was deleted from the password/shadow file but remained in the group file.

What is going on here?
Specifically:
- Why does the user get erased when the web form is used to change his password?
- Why doesn't the user's group show up on the web form User List whereas his group appears properly on all the other web forms and in the config files?

Note I grepped through all the /etc and .systemfile/ files and this user is treated consistently with other users in all files -- i.e there is nothing weird or different about him in any of the accessible files in these system directories.

Board footer