DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-05 02:53:38

phantom

iTunes server has stopped working

I recently got a DNS-323.  My initial setup was RAID-1 with firmware 1.5 (I upgraded from the 1.4 that came with the device).  My DNS-323 was visible in iTunes and I could browse the music.

Then I made several changes.  First, I decided to use a standard two drive configuration instead of RAID-1.  I made the change using these steps I found on the forum:

1. Power down unit
2. Remove RIGHT drive
3. Power up unit
4. Format LEFT drive (using the unit's GUI wizard under Tools>>Raid>>Set Raid Type and reformat - even though you do not want a Raid setup)
5. Power down unit after reformat is completed
6. Install RIGHT drive
7. Power up and use

This worked great and I now had two standard drives.  It did, however, cause my Volume_1 and Volume_2 to get switched (Volume_1 is HD_b2 and Volume_2 is HD_a2).

I then installed fun_plug 0.5 on Volume_2 (it didn't work on Volume_1, because of the switch mentioned above, I guess).  This worked great as well!  (Thank you fonz for your awesome work!)

I made a few other changes: I enabled the root account and ssh and disabled telnet.  I also installed subversion.  Everything is working.  Cool!  Except the iTunes server.

I've tried restarting the iTunes server from the web UI.  I've tried restarting it from the command-line (/usr/sbin/mt-daapd).  No matter what, I can't get it to show up in iTunes anymore.  More than that, I can't even get it to listen.  netstat -l shows that there's nothing listening on port 3689, and no, I haven't changed the default port.  But when I restart the server I can see that it does scan for music (I see those detect_char_encode commands in ps).

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance!

#2 2008-10-07 02:59:13

phantom

Re: iTunes server has stopped working

No ideas?  Should I just give up and install the latest Firefly?

#3 2008-10-07 09:43:35

RunaR

#4 2008-10-12 05:35:49

phantom

Thanks for the suggestion, RunaR, but the problem was something else.

My problem was caused by a few mp3s with unicode text in the ID3 tags.  It seems that mt-daapd (the iTunes server) exits with a seg. fault when scanning those mp3s on startup.  I didn't notice this before because I didn't know there was a lengthy startup procedure (around 20 min for 60 GB of music!).  The server would crash silently after a few minutes and, as it turns out, it starts listening on port 3689 only after startup is finished.  Since it never got that far I never saw anything listening on the port, even though mt-daapd is visible as a running process for a while.

I hope unicode support is fixed in newer versions of the server!

#5 2008-10-13 03:05:42

phantom

For anyone who is interested, installing Firefly from http://files.hesse-n.com/ch3snas/ fixed the issue for me.

#6 2008-12-20 23:33:55

sbabolat

Hi,

Just stumble upon this post.

I have a dns-321. Was working well with latest firmware (1.01 i think). But after putting some music that i had on different hdd over the years, i can not see the server on my itunes anymore.

i tried to telnet the command from the link for broken itunes, but only got:
/ffp/bin/sh: cp/sys/crfs/default/mt-daapd.conf/etc/mt-daapd.conf: not found

do i still need to telnet this command or my issue is similar to the one on this post ?

Thanks

Sebastien

Edit: i am a noob at command and stuff.
- how do i install all of those packages ?
- can i remove them later on ?
- what do i need to change in the conf file if my music is under Volume_1/Music ?

Last edited by sbabolat (2008-12-21 17:01:16)

Board footer