DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-14 22:47:18

crs2027

questions

G'day all,

I am seriously considering purchasing a DNS-323, it seems to have a good rep but I've just a few questions I'm sure can be answered easily enough.

What sort of average transfer rate should I expect through a 10/100 router?  Say copying a 1GB file for example?  Does the transfer rate get affected when extra applications are installed/running on the drive?

I'm very sad to see there is only 1 single USB HOST port, however could a unpowered USB hub or powered USB hub be used to expand for more USB storage devices along with a printer?  If a usb hub is an option I'm looking for comments mainly on users experience with a un-powered usb hub.

This might seem like a silly question but the unit will work with *only* 1 hard drive installed - right?

If you use the device with 1 solo drive for a few month.. then decide to install a 2nd for RAID clone type backup - will it 'just work' or would I need to reformat it all and start over?

These are my main questions to get started, I'll be researching the plugins/custom firmware stuff too.

Thanks a lot for comments!

#2 2008-10-15 01:12:13

fordem

Re: questions

I'll answer the questions I can, and leave the others - for others wink

Transfer rate on 10/100 will be no more than 8~9MBytes/sec, the unit will run with only one hard drive (please put it in the right bay when facing the unit) and if you start with one drive and add a second one you can - if you are running fw 1.05 configure the unit for RAID1 without having to "start over".

I WILL suggest that you backup before adding a second drive - purely out of an abundance of caution - and also point out that "RAID clone type backup" is not how it works - RAID is not a form of backup.

#3 2008-10-15 11:04:01

crs2027

Thanks for the reply, fordem.

My understanding of the RAID features was to either have a 2nd drive act as an expansion to the 1st one, or to have the 2nd drive mirror/clone the 1st one.  I've never used RAID before so if I need correcting please do so smile

So has anyone used a USB hub to expand the USB host?

Thanks!!

#4 2008-10-15 15:10:40

bq041

USB hub works great, I've used multiple hubs with multiple hard drives / flash drives.  Make sure you get everyhting self powered, as it is easy to run the DNS's USB power out very quickly.  I have run self powered hubs on the unit, but keep in mind, there is limited power available.  Also, there are some 2.0 devices that do not like to work on the DNS.  Some of these will work fine if connected through a 1.1 hub to knock their speeds down first.  I have a 2.0 hub connected tothe DNS, and a 1.1 hub connected to the 2.0 hub.  This way I can connect the good high speed devices and still connect the ones that need to be clocked down.

To expand on what fordem said, RAID1 is definately not a backup, it is to ensure that data is still online and available after a drive fails.  As far as starting over, he is correct, assuming you are configuring using the web utility.  If you are handy with Linux, or want to learn, the second drive can be setup manually and synced to the existing one without data loss.  It is a fairly involved process due to some DLink specific configuration files, but it is doable.

Last edited by bq041 (2008-10-15 21:41:01)

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

#5 2008-10-15 15:22:11

fordem

There are different types or levels of RAID - this device supports two - RAID0 & RAID1

RAID0 "stripes" the data across both disks - it writes a chunk of data to disk0 and then a chunk to disk1, and then writes to disk0 and then disk1 and so on - the idea here it to extract as much speed as possible, this works well when the disk and it's interface is the bottleneck that causes the slow down - BUT - that is not the case with the DNS-323 and you will find if you test that there is no performance advantage to RAID0.

With RAID0, if either disks fails you WILL lose ALL the data stored

RAID1 "mirrors" the disks - whatever data is written to disk0 is also written to disk1, the idea being that if a disk fails the data remains available from the second disk.  Many people mistakenly feel that RAID1 can be considered a form of backup (hence my warning) - if a file is deleted either deliberately or accidentally, it's deleted - same thing goes if it's corrupted by a virus, it's gone.

With RAID1 you lose 50% of the available drive capacity - there is a theoretical performace improvement when reading as both disks can be read, but as with RAID1 this is not realised with the DNS-323

Neither form of RAID supported on the device allows the second drive to act as an expansion of the first, although with RAID0, the two disks shows a single disk, which I suppose could be considered an expansion, there is however an additional format option called JBOD - or Just a Bunch of Disks - which also creates a single volume.

With JBOD (on a DNS-323) data is written to the first disk and when that is filled any additional data goes to the second disk - this is different to RAID0 where data is written to both disks all of the time - but - like RAID0, failure of either disk results in loss of all data (even if all of the data is stored on one disk)

The generally accepted position on this forum seems to be that the best usage of the device is with each disk separate and run somesort of backup from one disk to the other.

#6 2008-10-15 15:37:18

nurunet

Concerning the USB hub questions: I've got a Conceptronic CH3SNAS, which is essentially the same thing as the DNS 323. I'm running a Kyocera laser printer and a Kingston USB flash drive connected to the NAS via a cheap USB 2.0 hub (power cable exists, but not used). This works fine and I even run ffp from the USB key.

Conceptronic CH3SNAS FW 1.03, ffp from USB key.

#7 2008-10-15 21:40:05

crs2027

Thanks a lot for all these replies, its really answered everything I wanted to know about the device and much appreciated.

Now I can see why RAID1 is confused as a backup but like you suggested, fordem, might be best to have drives running independently - thanks for explaining how it all works.

I'm so glad to hear USB hub as a possibilty! smile

Board footer