DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2009-01-05 05:55:03

zimer

Re: New and easy installer for Debian

kennedy101 mentioned the funplug script addition to mount a second disk. Right now only the first disk is being mounted. Sorry for taking so long to read the thread neutral

#27 2009-01-05 09:58:43

beebock

no worries.
Here you go

# Root DISK1
export DISK1=/mnt/HD_a2
# Second disk
export DISK2=/mnt/HD_b2

#28 2009-01-05 11:33:04

mareque

Hi all,
Great thought with ready-to-go Debian image, thx gentleman:)

I'm interested in utilizing it to reach NFS functionality to use my 2nd volume of DNS-323 as an external storage for my satellite set-top-box (IPBOX 900HD, vel Cube-Revo mini) as with the the unfs daemon I didn't have any success so far (constant "unknown nfs server failure 22" message on the client side while trying to mount exported volume, whereas a volume exported from Debian Etch PC VM was successfully mounted by the sat-box).
Eventually, I ended up with the following error on my NAS:

Code:

dns323:~# /etc/init.d/nfs-kernel-server start
Not starting NFS kernel daemon: no support in current kernel. (warning).
dns323:~#

and this was already after fixing modprobe (missing folder, as referred to earlier in this thread).

Please advise how to make NFS service work - frmw 1.05, btw.
_
Mareque

#29 2009-01-05 12:28:35

beebock

Mareque

I have been trying to get the NFS working for 3 weeks now with absolutely no luck. Yesterday I tracked it down to the idmapd missing in this version.

I tried to install it, but not luck. It is part of the NFS-common package. I manage to install that, just will not start. Also I can configure the exports file and see them from all my linux machines on the network, but can not mount it for love nor money!

I'm using the nfs-user-server which is a userspace NFS service. The one that you have installed will not work on this distro. I'm pondering the wisdom of creating one from scratch....

#30 2009-01-06 14:30:57

xabatcha

Hi I tried to install your package and it worked well. I am using FF1.6 by the way.

I am quite rookie with linux....so I just played a bit with it. I want install subversion by following http://dns323.kood.org/howto:subversion process. However I got error for configuration script, which I am not able fix. Find the error log, the part below:

configure:2241: Configuring Subversion 1.5.2
configure:2254: creating config.nice
configure:2324: checking for gcc
configure:2340: found /usr/bin/gcc
configure:2351: result: gcc
configure:2589: checking for C compiler version
configure:2597: gcc --version >&5
gcc (GCC) 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)

configure:2601: $? = 0
configure:2608: gcc -v >&5
Using built-in specs.
Target: arm-linux-gnu
Configured with: ../src/configure -v --enable-languages=c,c++,fortran,objc,obj-c++,treelang --prefix=/usr --enable-shared --with-system-zlib --libexecdir=/us
r/lib --without-included-gettext --enable-threads=posix --enable-nls --program-suffix=-4.1 --enable-__cxa_atexit --enable-clocale=gnu --enable-libstdcxx-debu
g --enable-mpfr --enable-checking=release arm-linux-gnu
Thread model: posix
gcc version 4.1.2 20061115 (prerelease) (Debian 4.1.1-21)
configure:2612: $? = 0
configure:2619: gcc -V >&5
gcc: '-V' option must have argument
configure:2623: $? = 1
configure:2646: checking for C compiler default output file name
configure:2668: gcc    conftest.c  >&5
/usr/bin/ld: crt1.o: No such file: No such file or directory
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
configure:2672: $? = 1
configure:2710: result:

The installation supposes to work for Debian distribution I guess.

As minor taks I would like to be able to uninstall this package. Is there some simple way besides formatting?

Thanks for any suggestion. Cheers, X.

#31 2009-01-06 14:45:03

beebock

not toooo sure but should be able to go tot he source folder (where you did all the make etc...) and there should be an uninstall, or try make uninstall then uninstall

also check the /etc/init.d/  folder for the subversion program

if it is in there, shoot it (or rename it)

#32 2009-01-07 02:50:23

toolbox

a newbie question. I used update-rc.d to add a rtorrent script that I want to have it running when the system boots up. It doesn't seems to get call at startup. Should it for chroot'd debian on DNS-323?
Thanks.

#33 2009-01-07 07:32:10

kennedy101

Catching up with the posts guys. I initially bailed on the chroot install in favor of a ffp .5/optware install in hopes that this would resolve failures to load hack/OS to USB stick. Short story is that B1 hardware I have fails ffp-reloaded due to SATA issues. After fighting ffp/optware with gnump3d and other apps I'm back to this etch install for it's look and feel to my Ubuntu install. Not knocking the hard work and labor put into optware, but if you need an app outside of ipkg then you're stuck with loads of linking and dependency issues.

Now that I am committed to etch I have really one main concern. Hard drive activity. Ideally using ffp-reloaded to put the chroot install on the usb stick would be the best install. However, seeing that the vanilla kernel doesnt support ALL hardware the next best option would be to put /var onto the USB stick.

Anyone done any hacking to send log messages to a USB stick? We could use "insmod usb-storage.ko" in fun_plug and mound /dev/sdc1 as /var. I have no idea how involved this would be, but it would resolve my main concern - keeping volume one spun down to reduce heat and hopefully decrease possible failures. For me disabling logging all together really wouldnt resolve my problem for two reasons. One, I like having log messages for debugging (pink lights, clicking, etc) and two gnum3d needs /var/cache for an every chaning structure.

Finally - Thanks for all the activity on this post!!!! good to see some guys interested in using this.

DNS 323 (Hardware B1, Firmware 1.06). 2x 1.5TB Seagate HDs.
Chroot Debain (Lenny) on USB (not reloaded). Edna server. USB print server. USB drives added to samba share. All init.d scripts in place.
Future projects: FFP reloaded then chroot on B1 hardware.

#34 2009-01-07 10:42:09

beebock

Hi,

I have been toying with a different approach over the last couple of days, and that is the 'best of both worlds' ie having your cake and eating it.

I have managed to get FFP working (not hard) and have etch installed, but not chroot. All I do is script the environment and then fire up the interesting applications only.

Last night I got apache2 and hellanzb working fine. I'll post a how too in a day or so (when i have time to write one). I have not checked the disk activity, but since I have never enabled etch completely, then i doubt that the logging etc... is functional. The only thing is that you need to remember to chroot your ssh whenever you wish to do something in etch, and then port it back to ffp in the form of a script prior to logging off.

Other major advantage (for me) is that ffp provides NFS. Being a linux house that is very interesting.
I find this little nas really fascinating, and getting into trouble from the other half cause playing too much with it.....

Toolbox - Can you post your question into a new thread please. you are off topic, and I'll answer you there

#35 2009-01-07 21:32:38

kennedy101

How to use installed apps, but not chroot:
This very well could be a stupid question that will surface my ignorance, but what the heck might as well ask.

Are you saying, for example, that I could ssh into the chroot etch and apt-get a few apps that I need all their dependencies then later "disable" the chroot in the fun_plug script? Then create some type of init script to start up the installed process? I know I want gnump3d and openvpn both running. Could I install both and test as working then have fun_plug start these daemons withOUT starting chroot?

Could you post your fun_plug (and any init/startup scripts it calls)? Think seeing what is happening would make it make sense to me.

Another Question: Why is su not working? I used adduser script to create another account. When I login as a normal user then try to "su" I get an authentication error. Here's the error in /var/log/auth.log

Jan  7 19:42:57 wheezy1 su[2869]: (pam_unix) authentication failure; logname= uid=1000 euid=1000 tty=ttyp1 ruser=xxxxxx rhost=  user=root
Jan  7 19:42:59 wheezy1 su[2869]: pam_authenticate: Authentication failure
Jan  7 19:42:59 wheezy1 su[2869]: FAILED su for root by xxxxxx

Chroot Debain (Lenny) on USB (not reloaded). Edna server. USB print server. USB drives added to samba share. All init.d scripts in place.

#36 2009-01-07 21:54:04

kennedy101

FYI: Screen doesnt work on etch (not running updated lenny), need to install library.

screen wouldnt work "out of the box" issued the following and the /dev/pty devices were working.

apt-get install libc6

#37 2009-01-07 22:01:32

beebock

right.. I have done so more testing, and my original idea (as you uinderstood it) is somewhat flawed.... especially in the environmental aspect of the world.... so I have another approach

I have used FFP 0.5 and combined etch... now I have a chroot environment with ffp running underneath giving me the NFS.

I think the issue that you are hitting is the same as me when I tried to parse a rar file to be extracted. the environment variables are just not there, and i am not good enough yet to work it all out.

The way that i did it is pretty simple.

Install teh ffp 5 with the fun_plug
Then ssh in and make a copy o fhte fun_plug

cp /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug2

Enable TELNET HERE if you have disabled it. chmod a+x /ffp/start/telnet.sh
ENABLE nfs chmod a+x /ffp/start/nfsd.sh
ENABLE portmap chmod a+x /ffp/start/portmap.sh

disable SSH
chmod a-x /ffp/start/

Install ETCH as per the simple install.
Reboot

Then you need to modify the environment to get both the ffp and the chroot to work together.

Easy... open fun_plug in a text editor, then copy the contents
open fun_plug2 and past the contents at the END of the script

then override the current fun_plug with the command

cp /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug2 /mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug

Once that is done, then ssh in and go to the folder /boot and there will be a file called linuxrc
Open that up.
Comment out the NFS
comment out anything that you do not need (logging for example)
LEAVE the SSH enable

reboot

then from a linux machine run command
   showmount -e <ip of nas>

and you should see the NFS

and voila. a hybrid environment smile

#38 2009-01-08 21:10:40

airflow

Hi,

thanks for this package, which helped me installing Debian on my DNS-323. I have a little problem though, perhaps anyone can help or give a hint.

I have problems with the charset the Debian-installation uses. The pre-installed OS of the DNS-323 (I use 0.6) uses UTF8 as the charset, which I basically think is a very good idea. When I use the newly installed Linux (I upgraded to Lenny) and connect via SSH e.g, I see a corrupted filename. The same filename is correctly displayed when accessed via the "normal" way (Windows filebrowser, i.e. Samba).

Example: The file is named "testör.txt".

When accessed via SSH, it's shown as test??r.txt. This clearly indicates that the two (or more) characters, which unicode uses to encode special characters are shown as separate characters within the Linux-installation. Does anyone of you know how to fix this? I guess it must be a setting somewhere within the Debian-system - do you think so too?

Thanks,
airflow

#39 2009-01-09 08:14:29

kennedy101

airflow: Not sure if I can help, but possibly the errors I saw after installing perl might help you.

Try these..
apt-get install locales

Then
dpkg-reconfigure locales

De-select ALL and then select the langauge packages you may need. For me I selected all en_US (3 or 4 total).

Allow time for all to compile/configure. If you try selecting ALL it will take more than 10 hours.

Once your selected locales are generated they are installed. Pay particular attention to the sctip completing.

After completing these steps perl stopped complaining the needed langauge locales were not there. While searching for a solution other posts referred to your type problem. Hope this helps.

#40 2009-01-09 08:23:04

kennedy101

Another general comment for the etch image. SU does not work out of the box. Not sure what I'm doing wrong but here's what I know. I created another user with adduser. I can login to root from a new putty session, and I can login as the new user from putty. But, I cannot login as the new user and THEN su to root. It fails as follows.

user@wheezy1:~$ su -
Password:
su: Authentication failure
Sorry.
user@wheezy1:~$

cat /var/log/auth.log
Jan  9 07:17:53 wheezy1 su[17339]: (pam_unix) authentication failure; logname= uid=1000 euid=1000 tty=ttyp0 ruser=user rhost=  user=root
Jan  9 07:17:55 wheezy1 su[17339]: pam_authenticate: Authentication failure
Jan  9 07:17:55 wheezy1 su[17339]: FAILED su for root by user

wheezy1:~# ls -l `which su`
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 24728 Feb 28  2007 /bin/su

WORK AROUND
sudo was not installed, but needed.

apt-get install sudo

edit /etc/sudoers to include permissions for new user to have root access. Follow these procedures.
http://www.gratisoft.us/sudo/sample.sudoers

After this I am now able to

user@wheezy1:/var$ sudo su root
wheezy1:/var#

I'm open to other suggestions to get su to work properly.

#41 2009-01-09 13:21:46

anterus

Hi, and thank you All for outstanding discussion!!
Can someone please help me to mount the second hard drive, I tried adding this to fun_plug, but it didn't help:

# Second disk
export DISK2=/mnt/HD_b2

EDIT: just figured it out: mount /dev/sdb2 /mnt/HD_b2

Last edited by anterus (2009-01-09 13:23:23)

#42 2009-01-09 13:31:10

beebock

Anterus,

What RAID configuration have you got?

#43 2009-01-09 14:46:57

kennedy101

anterus

you need both of these lines. This is what I use. The line youre missing is at the bottom.

# Root DISK1
export DISK1=/mnt/HD_a2
export DISK2=/mnt/HD_b2
export DISTDIR=linux

cd $DISK1

mount --bind $DISK1 $DISTDIR$DISK1
mount --bind $DISK2 $DISTDIR$DISK2

#44 2009-01-09 23:21:43

kennedy101

Here's a fun_plug that will chroot debian stored on a USB stick. I also added a seperate partition for torrent downloads. After using it the hard drives spin down while actively ssh'ing around the file structure and processing a torrent. It's not perfect since a real ffp-reloaded would put the entire kernel on the flash card, but it does save some hard drive wear and tear, reduce heat and conserve some power.

I'm lazy like most hackers. I certainly could have done a better job with variables and if/trap statements, but it works. I ended up enabling telnet and running one line at a time until i got all the bugs worked out.

-----------------------------------
#!/bin/sh

#This revised fun_plug will load the linux root directory structure to a USB card.
#User is expected to undertand what is happening, at least what each command does.
#This is not like ffp-reloaded as it does NOT reload the kernel. The ramdisk that is created
#by the firmware is still present, and approx 16MB of the 64MB is used by the kernel.

#User must manually put the usb-storage.ko module in this directory.
#This allows the kernel to detect the flash cards and load them as devices.
#In my setup /dev/sdd1 was setup as swap. You must setup the flash cards partition
#and mkswap !BEFORE! running this ffp!
#In this script /dev/sdc1 is an ext2 partition I use for torrent space. /dev/sdc2 is
#where what WAS /mnt/HD_a2/linux resided. I MANUALLY copied this over before
#running this script.

insmod /mnt/HD_a2/linux/mod/usb-storage.ko

sleep 5
mkdir /mnt/usb-sdc1
mkdir /mnt/usb-sdc2

mount -t ext2 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/usb-sdc1
mount -t ext2 /dev/sdc2 /mnt/usb-sdc2

#Killing the swap space on the hard drives.
swapon /dev/sdd1
swapoff /dev/sda1
swapoff /dev/sdb1

#Edited fun_plug mounts
export DISK1=/mnt/HD_a2
export DISK2=/mnt/HD_b2
export TORRENT=/mnt/usb-sdc1
export USBROOT=/mnt/usb-sdc2
export DISTDIR=/mnt/usb-sdc2/linux
export USBTORRENT=/mnt/usb-sdc1

cd $USBROOT

mount --bind $DISK1 $DISTDIR$DISK1
mount --bind $DISK2 $DISTDIR$DISK2
mount --bind $TORRENT $DISTDIR$TORRENT
mount --bind / $DISTDIR/mnt/root
mount --bind /dev $DISTDIR/dev
mount --bind /sys  $DISTDIR/sys
mount --bind /sys/crfs $DISTDIR/sys/crfs
mount --bind /web $DISTDIR/web
mount --bind /proc $DISTDIR/proc

cp -f /proc/mounts $DISTDIR/etc/mtab
rm -f $DISTDIR/etc/fstab
touch $DISTDIR/etc/fstab
cp -f /etc/resolv.conf $DISTDIR/etc
hostname >$DISTDIR/etc/hostname
cp -f /etc/hosts $DISTDIR/etc

$DISTDIR/boot/chroot $DISTDIR /boot/linuxrc
-----------------------------------

#45 2009-01-09 23:57:46

toolbox

kennedy101, how big did you set sdd1 to? thanks.

#46 2009-01-10 00:46:45

kennedy101

I used a 1GB stick I got at a trade show a few weeks ago. The DNS323 setup a 512 MB swap on each drive when it formatted them. I was happy that the total swap stayed about the same.

#47 2009-01-29 18:00:13

JediSthlm

Hi kennedy101
Would it be possible to write a nice how-to get Debian installed on a USB? I've read the this forum post but am not sure I get it all. Would that be possible?

#48 2009-01-29 18:11:11

kennedy101

I'll commit to doing that within the month, probably sooner. Using the USB as a place to store torrents didnt work out at all - too many storage errors. I've since moved the install back to the hard drive and really need to rewrite the chroot scripts anyway. I'll make a generic script, with better comments before the end of February - again, probably be before that, but I hate to miss deadlines.

EDIT: If anyone has a working cross compile system I'd REALLY prefer to put these efforts into putting even the kernel onto the USB card. The ffp-reloaded kernel posted by fonz does NOT support B1 hardware. The sata support is a module, and this NEEDS to be in the kernel. Is anyone interested in compiling the kernel? All you'll need is the cross-compile system and you can use Fonz's .config with all the tweaks. If I can get my hands on this kernel then the instructions would possibly integrate reloading the kernel onto the flash and then doing a chroot.

At any rate, I'll work on a better script for chroot onto a USB.

Last edited by kennedy101 (2009-01-29 18:16:03)

#49 2009-01-29 18:35:11

toolbox

kennedy101, can the issue you have with torrents cause by having more than 1 usb stick and they are connected through a hub? I modified your script and run debian off my usb stick fine. My changes are pretty minor (swapfile instead of swap partition, use noatime to mount the partition). My torrent downloads go to the hard drive directly because I don't want to worry about running out of space.

#50 2009-01-29 18:43:05

kennedy101

I dont think it's the hub. No I/O errors in /var/log/messages (ensured syslogd was restarted since my script killed it) and no I/O or read/write errors seen in dmesg. Also, the storage errors were only present when I had more than 2 torrents running simultaneously. As long as it was one or two torrents then there were no storage errors.

I read in an older post that the method used for file storage on a usb stick was messy. In short it's a UDF (I think that was the acronym) that allowed for a certain percentage of sectors on the flash card to go bad. Basically it was never meant to have constant read/writes and would be prone to errors. I think if I use the USB for only swap and the linux directory I'll have better luck. I really do hope that the swap space can be used on the USB stick. I'll try it with both a swap partition and a swap file...

Board footer