DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-10-23 03:06:33

horto
Website

323 hack HOWTO/review - from out-of-the-box to auto-torrent-downloader

Hi guys,

Over the past few months I've silently scoured the forms while researching the 323.  I finally bought one, and I'm so impressed I wanted to give something back to the community.  (Well, actually, I was writing a guide for my buddies who were interested in the 323 as well, but figured it'd be for the greater good to post it here too!)  smile

I've documented my experiences as a HOWTO guide - from unboxing to installing ffp to scripting a Transmission auto-downloader.
You can check it out here:  http://www.horto.ca/?p=10

I've borrowed a lot from all over the forums to create a mostly encompassing guide:
* Overview
* Links/References
* Network config
* Upgrade Firmware
* Decision - RAID or no RAID?
* Installation Procedure
* SSH
* Bittorrent client
* Auto-torrent downloading (custom script to monitor /Volume_1/torrents)

I hope to have Part 2 up next week, where I'm looking to configure a portion of my disks to be an Apple Time Capsule and also setup a replicated folder between the two drives.

One question tho - has anyone compiled rtorrent for ffp0.5?  It would save me a lot of time rather than writing additional scripts for transmission-remote.  (rtorrent has directory-monitoring and stop-when-seed-ratio-hit already built in... but no fancy web UI afaik).

Cheers,
horto

Last edited by horto (2008-10-23 03:16:11)

horto.ca, my personal DNS-323 howto blog

#2 2008-11-10 10:42:00

RunaR

Re: 323 hack HOWTO/review - from out-of-the-box to auto-torrent-downloader

Thanks for the how-to. I used your scripts to monitor a directory where I can put the torrent files I want to download. Only problem I found had to do with the font of your web page. Normal quotes (") are replaced by cursive opening and closing quotes. It took me some time to find out why the scripts where not working.

Board footer