DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-11-22 07:50:33

Trav2003

Vista Business/Ultimate Wont' Auto Reconnect to Network Drives

I've read every message in this forum about properly reconnecting when I reboot my computer... but nothing seems to be working:

I've tried to set my username and password in windows to be the same as my NAS... no dice.  Passthrough authentication doesn't seem to work.

I've tried to make sure I checked the box to reconnect on logon, but when I input my information I ALWAYS get my password rejected at least once (it won't take it the first time even if the information is right).

I've tried creating a batch file that runs on startup.  It either says my password is bad (it's not) or it prompts for it...

I'm not running anything special (no fun_plug) and I'm running the 1.5 firmware.

It seems like nomatter what I  try I get the 'failed to reconnect network drivers' error in Vista, and I seem to always get at least one failed login attempt.

Any ideas?

#2 2008-11-22 16:01:04

jmcqup

Re: Vista Business/Ultimate Wont' Auto Reconnect to Network Drives

I'm no network expert, but I had the similar problems come and go... I would check on Network Discovery (Network and Sharing Center) -- you need to be in a private network and for Vista Business, off-line file access. I have found that I have to refresh a few times when this is on. Hope it helps.

#3 2008-11-23 03:24:45

Trav2003

I'm set to be on a private network.  After playing around with this last night I finally got it to auto re-login on by my business and ultimate copies.  I moved my 'user' on the NAS out of a group, assigned privileges to the user, and gave it the same password as my vista login's.  I disconnected, made sure the 'Reconnect at Logon' was checked, and things were fine temporarily.  I removed my password from my Vista Ultimate (HTPC) box so I could have it start MediaCenter when I booted.

Now it won't auto-reconnect.  Although I could never get windows passthrough authentication to work (it always prompted me) it seems like having the same password allowed auto login to work.

Is there a way I can have no password on my vista machine (vista ultimate) and yet have it auto-login to my shared folder?

You would think something this simple would be possible on an OS that takes 20GB of space to install...

#4 2008-11-23 04:07:07

Trav2003

Update:  I went into 'Manage your network passwords' and set it to save my NAS connection settings, but still no dice.  I always get the 'Failed to reconnect network drives' error when windows reboots.

It seems like it NEVER (or rarely) takes my password the first time when I put it in.  It almost always rejects it before finally accepting it.  I can't find a repeatable, understandable pattern to this madness.  I now have one computer that has a different username, but the same password as the NAS and after screwing with it FOREVER it now connects on reboot, but my media center PC, which has no password won't.  On the media center PC I've tried a boot .bat file and using the 'net use' command - and it rejects my password the first time, so it never works.  I've tried windows passthrough authentication (same username/pass between PC and NAS) and that doesn't work.  I've tried to store the username/pass in 'Manage your network passwords' and that doesn't work.

As far as net use goes, maybe this'll shed some light on the problem:

net use z: \\NasName\Volume_1 password /user:UserName <- Does not work, says invalid password

net use z: \\NasName\Volume_1 /user:UserName <- does work if I provide the EXACT same password but when it prompts instead of in the command line.

In short, it seems to boil down to one issue:  I can't get it to take my password the very first time I give it.  That would explain why it never reconnects properly on logon (but it does the next time I put in my password).  This makes no sense to me...

A couple questions to narrow it down...
1) Why would it reject my password at least once when I reboot?
2) When I put in my username should it simply be UserName or should it be NasName\UserName?

Any ideas?

Last edited by Trav2003 (2008-11-23 04:52:15)

#5 2008-11-24 06:13:09

bq041

You should map the drive and use the option to connect with a different user name.  Windows will send your windows login information to the unit when you try to connect other ways.  Even after it prompts you, it may not send the correct information.  If you map with the connect with a different user name, is should work.

DNS-323     F/W: 1.04b84  H/W: A1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 400 GB Seagate SATA-300
DNS-323     F/W: 1.05b28  H/W: B1  ffp: 0.5  Drives: 2X 1 TB  WD SATA-300
DSM-G600   F/W: 1.02       H/W: B                Drive:  500 GB WD ATA

Board footer