DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2008-12-14 17:10:06

gordong

Increasing maximum allowable concurrent ftp connections to DNS323

(I searched the archives and tried adding this request as a reply to a related post, but maybe trying to resurrect a year old post isnt the best way of getting answers).

Having just got and installed my DNS-323, and upgraded to the latest 1.05 firmware, I've found the limit of 10 ftp users, which isnt good for my intended use (especially since I discovered that a "user" is a concurrent connection, rather than an individual login account).

I've installed ffp (5), found the pure-ftpd.conf and changed MaxClientsNumber to 99.  However, when I log in by ftp I still get the message "you are user n of 10".  If I restart the box, I ge tthe same from ftp but that's not surprising when I discover that the pure-ftpd.conf file has reverted back to MaxClientsNumber = "10".  This happens whether I restart through the web interface or via the button on the front.

There must be a way of increasing the number of concurrent users for the ftp server, but simply editing this file isnt enough!

Anyone have any pointers please?

Thanks

Gordon

#2 2008-12-15 05:03:08

shadowandy
Website

Re: Increasing maximum allowable concurrent ftp connections to DNS323

Well, what you can do is start the pure-ftpd server yourself and passing in the desired settings. A sample of scripts like this could be this

SpeedStream 5660, DIR-655,  DNS-323, MLDonkey (DNS-323), DNS-343, DIR-300 Tips & Hacks

#3 2008-12-15 12:01:46

gordong

Good idea, shadowandy.

I did have a grep about but couldnt find anywhere where pure-ftpd is currently called.  My unix is rusty and I havent spent a lot of time on Linux to date, so I may not be looking in the right places.

So a couple of followup questions if I may:
a) where is pure-ftpd currently invoked?  It must be in a startup script somewhere, and would editing this script not be the simplest route to configuring pure-ftpd as required?
b) if I create a new script similar to your example, to start pure-ftpd with my required parameters, where to I put it/a call to it to ensure it is run on startup? What stops there being 2 instances of pure-ftpd running simultaneously - one from the original startup and one from my script?

Thanks for any light you can shed, and apologies for the nube questions.

Gordon

#4 2008-12-15 18:04:08

shadowandy
Website

Hi Gordon,

You can do a "which pure-ftpd" to locate the file. Well, if you are running fonz's fun_plug you can pretty much move the script to /ffp/start and enable the execution bit and it should run on start up. Before that make sure you disabled ftp from the web ui.

Hope it helps.

SpeedStream 5660, DIR-655,  DNS-323, MLDonkey (DNS-323), DNS-343, DIR-300 Tips & Hacks

#5 2008-12-16 12:21:32

gordong

Thanks Shadowandy, I've now got pure-ftpd working, showing a maximum of 99 users.

However, it's a little messy - it appears if you use the standard web interface at any point (even if only to manage ftp users) the standard 10 user limit is imposed, and you have to remember to stop the ftp server from teh web interface and restart the unit.  Purists might say that I should be managing the users through the shell, but life's just too short for me!

It took a while for me to realised that the standard web management interface is on a read only filesystem, so searching through the asp to tweak that was going to be futile.

I'm there, though, and I'll put up with having to rememver to stop the server through the web interface and bounce the box if I have to.

Many thanks for your help.

Gordon

#6 2008-12-16 16:00:21

shadowandy
Website

Shell provides much more flexibility. Maybe somebody should re-write the web ui for the unit. lol.

Board footer