DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#51 2009-08-05 19:20:59

fordem

Re: Constant disk access with Firmware v 1.06

I would suspect that "waiting for a solution" is an exercise in futility - you have to go out and find one.

If I might explain ...

I have been running a DNS-323 for almost two and a half years, from fw 1.02 all the way through to the 1.08 beta, and in that time I have seen my DNS-323 not hibernate on two occasions - I've used Seagate drives, Maxtor drives & WD drives.

What I'm saying here is the problem is not caused by the brand of drive or the version of firmware you're running - so there's no point in waiting on DLink to release a new version that will magically resolve your problem, the cause is something in your environment, some device on your network (or off your network) that's constantly accessing the unit or some setting on the unit.

Start by returning the unit to factory default settings, remove any fun_plug or other add-ins, clear the print queue and disconnect the network cable.  It should hibernate at this point.  Now plug in the network cable - does that prevent it from hibernating - if it does, the problem is external.  Put back the rest of your settings and stuff one by one and you should be able to determine what the cause is.

#52 2009-09-02 12:46:13

rosbif

Re: Constant disk access with Firmware v 1.06

I stumbled across these posts while trying to sort my disk access problems.
I've been running a vanilla DNS-323 for a couple of years, just using it as a backup box via Samba.
I recently purchased another unit, discovered the wonders of fun_plug (thanks, Fonz!) and am happily running it as a media server.
Encouraged by this, I went back to my original DNS-323,backed up the data,  upgraded to 1.07 firmware from 1.03, installed fun_plug, then it all went south......
My disks (2 x Seagate 750Gb, RAID 1) started constant access - I mean really loud, constant seeking on both drives.  I tried multiple restarts, ran e2fsck, shut off all the cron jobs - no difference.
Eventually, I downgraded to 1.06 - still no difference.  I then reset the unit to factory defaults and restarted - success! Blissful quiet and proper hibernation.  My data and fun_plug installation seem to have survived OK, so I'll now get back to setting up dnsmasq and some other services that I want to run from this box.

Board footer