DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-01-06 02:41:28

maligor

orion5x u-boot on dns-323

WARNING: USING THIS WILL BRICK YOUR DNS323 IF YOU HAVE NO JTAG. (Well, the serial works in it, but don't try it without jtag)
WARNING: THIS HAS ONLY BEEN TESTED ON DNS-323 A1, B1 HAS A DIFFERENT BOARD
WARNING: Also it might cause damage to memory or cpu due to incorrect settings and programming errors.

The Quality of this patch can be said as: It works (for a limited definition of works) for me. I've broken and fixed it many times now. It has only ever been used on the DNS-323 A1 board I have.

Don't bother downloading this if you're not interested in trying to make it work. (Or looking at code)

This is not a finished bootloader. Currently it crashes when it tries to load the initrd. It uses the dns-323 bootmap and I've been testing this with the DNS-323 stock kernel for now. I've also had some pretty exiting times even with jtag due to the sw power, at one point it shut down once it got to probing flash.

Most of the settings are salvaged from the dns-323 supplied u-boot by reading the registers, from the marvell u-boot sources and the marvell 88f5182 documentation.

Current Issues I can think of right now:
* Halts at boot because it can't find initrd. (Probably a memory map issue)
* Spews out TWSI errors on linux boot
* Mentions a PEX(PCI Express) BAR Configuration error on linux boot
* Haven't tried saveenv, I've disabled it in the board configuration anyway... I think
* Doesn't actually support SATA/Network which would be the prime reasons to switch.. yet

Flashing: **DO NOT DO THIS IF YOU DON'T HAVE A JTAG**
Make sure you have a backup of your current u-boot and a jtag cable.
You'll need to slice off 65524 bytes from your current u-boot flash area (Last MTD) and append it to the resulting u-boot.bin. (This contains the ethernet settings)
From jtag: flash write_image erase u-boot.bin 0xfffd0000

JTAG: Instructions elsewhere on the board.

Repository the patch is against:
http://git.foonas.org/?p=u-boot-orion5x.git;a=summary

88f5182 Soc docs, they seem to match mostly, except for the SATA.
http://www.marvell.com/products/media/index.jsp

I hope the warnings are enough that noone tries to flash it without jtag.

Edit: Anyone have the bootlogs of a working dns-323 a1 handy?

Last edited by maligor (2009-01-06 02:45:29)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon uboot-orion5x-dns323.patch, Size: 26,196 bytes, Downloads: 462

Board footer