DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-01-07 23:23:49

orhor

Special national chars in filenames gone

hi all.
I did two things without checking the overall stat after the first change, so I am not able to determine wich one was the cause of a problem described in the name of this topic.

The operations:

1: Firmware 1.06 upgrade.
2: inserting a new drive (first pulled off the first drive from the right bay, inserted the second one into the left bay and formated, inserted back the first one into the right bay.)

after those steps, I have special national chars gone off the filenames.

Be aware.

it woud be so nice device if d-link worked a little on firmware.

edit:
after logging in via telnet I can see national chars in PUTTY. Can pls someone advice, what to fix and how to see those chars in Windows too? thank you

Last edited by orhor (2009-01-07 23:40:35)

#2 2009-01-09 00:00:53

orhor

Re: Special national chars in filenames gone

I tried EasySearchUtility 4.4.0.0. After clicking 'Language' button it says that device supports Unicode. I tried to set the language of the FTP but it does not have any influence on my problem.

now I have (beside others smile) two files on my DNS-323. First of them was copied to it before upgrading to 1.06 firmware (it was 1.05 in the time of copying). It's name is now:
viewing in Windows Explorer: _________.txt
viewing in PuTTY: ěščřžýáíé.txt

after upgrading to 1.06  I created the second file on windows and named it ěščřžýáíé.txt. I copied it to DNS-323. Now its name is
viewing in Windows Explorer: ěščřžýáíé.txt
viewing in PuTTY: ___ĹŞýåíÊ.txt

(the real problem is that I have a huge collection of mp3 and I cant imagine to search through it and find and fix the messed names)

any idea appreciated

#3 2009-01-09 01:11:27

orhor

and even more:

a file wich is in PuTTY listed as ěščřžýáíé.txt is via FTP listed as ěąčřľýáíé.txt, no matter what language for FTP is set (Central European, Western European, Unicode, Korean, even Simplified Chinese)

#4 2009-01-09 19:30:27

orhor

downgrading back to 1.05 - no help

#5 2009-01-09 22:35:38

duhblow7

Sounds to me like it's samba or windows that is not handling the unicode characters correctly.

#6 2009-01-10 00:08:52

orhor

thank you for answer.

it's all strange. I put the disk into my PC, booted from Knoppix and the filenames was not correct. So I downloaded the Ext2 For Windows, stil not correct.

Now I will try to download a torrent made on windows and containing national characters in filenames. I'll see.

I expect the filenames to be correct after they're downloaded. I think that unicode did not work properly before and now it is working.
I will copy all data to the empty disk to Windows, I'll reformat the disk in DNS, put data back and add the new disk. I'll see.

I am really disapointed from that device. Or better said: from D-Link's software.

btw: the firmware is based on linux, isn't it? Shouldn't D-link release source codes to the developers so they could make really working firmare?

thank you. I'll put the results of my tests here.

#7 2009-01-10 10:56:45

orhor

as I expected, torrent containing national chars in filenames was downloaded and in windows explorer is displayed correctly (before upgrading to 1.06 and having set device to use Unicode such torrents were dowloaded messed up). in putty is displayed messed up.

Now I dont know what displayes putty, what displayes windows and what is true and who I can believe smile
Just like in real life wink

PS.: Now after starting DNS323 is heard disk noise, device is searching for something or what every time I start the unit.

Last edited by orhor (2009-01-10 10:59:09)

#8 2009-01-10 16:39:47

airflow

orhor, the reason why the display is messed up with PuTTY is because PuTTY has by default not the correct codeset enabled which is used by the DNS-323.

DNS-323 with firmware 1.06 uses UTF-8. So you have to instruct PuTTY to use the same charset. You can do this in PuTTY configuration/Window/Translation: In the drop-down list choose UTF-8.

Try it out and let us know how this worked out for you.

Regards,
airflow

#9 2009-01-11 18:52:37

orhor

thank you airflow for the answer.

when the charset for putty was set to utf-8, filenames are messed up.

thank you once more, I am going to move all the files back to PC, correct their names, reformat the disks in dns-323 and then fill data back. nice program for the sunday evening smile

#10 2009-01-18 19:02:52

dilettanti

I've been having the same problem - non-ASCII characters in filenames are b0rked after upgrade to the 1.06 firmware.  My request for help is at the end of this message, but a (long) description of problem follows:

It looks like, under firmware 1.05, Windows files with special characters in the filenames that were moved to the DNS-323 through Samba were given filenames encoded in ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe) on the DNS-323, but files moved the same way under firmware 1.06 have filenames encoded in UTF-8.  [I don't remember what version of Samba was under firmware 1.05, or what was in /etc/samba/smb.conf, and I also can't figure out how to determine filename encoding in Vista (so I don't know what character set is used in the filenames on my Windows system, where the files originally came from).]  I suspect the problem with viewing files in Windows has to do with how Samba translates or reencodes filenames.

I decided it was time to put bigger drives in my DNS-323, and figured it would be a good opportunity to upgrade the firmware from 1.05 to 1.06 (both US firmware), since I had to move all the data anyway.  I have several music files with special characters in the filenames (e.g., songs by Annbjørg Lien, Blümchen, Frédéric Chopin, Múm, Niccolò Paganini, Röyksopp, etc.), and would like for the filenames to appear correctly in both telnet sessions to the DNS-323 (with appropriate translation settings in PuttyTray) and in Windows (Vista 32).  Under firmware 1.05, files created on and copied from Windows (through Samba), appeared correctly when viewed through Windows on the DNS-323 and in a telnet session using Putty set to expect ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe).

I first tried moving the data from the old drives to the new drives by putting the old drives in a USB enclosure, accessing them through Windows Vista using ext2ifs, and simply copying and pasting to the DNS-323 share.  Not the fastest or most direct way to do it, but I wanted to try this method before putting one of the old drives in with one of the new drives, since I didn't know if the 323 would make me reformat the old drive, and I could mount the enclosure as read-only under ext2ifs.  But when I viewed the copied data on the new drive through Windows, all of the special characters appeared as rectangles (like empty check-boxes).  When I viewed the files in a Putty telnet session, with Putty set to expect ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe) the characters looked very strange: what should have been an 'é' (e acute) looked like an i with an umlaut followed by an upside-down question mark and a 1/2 fraction character, and with Putty set to expect UTF-8, they appeared as boxes with question marks inside.

So I then tried transferring the data by placing the old drive directly into the Volume_2 slot (left side) and copying from the old drive to the new drive in a telnet session (nohup cp -R /mnt/HD_b2/* /mnt/HD_a2/ &), and then putting the new Volume_2 drive back in and copying from Volume_1 to Volume_2 (I keep my primary data on Volume_2 and use Volume_1 as the back-up).  Now, when viewing data in Windows Vista, all of the special characters appear as underscores, but when viewing in telnet with Putty set to expect ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe), they appear correctly!  (Needless to say, with Putty set to expect UTF-8, they do not - they appear as question marks inside boxes).

I also tested just copying data from Windows Vista (with good filenames) straight to the 323 (using both SyncToy2 and copy/paste through Samba).  With Putty expecting ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe), an 'é' (e acute) looks like a capital 'A' with a tilde over it followed by a copyright symbol.  With Putty set to expect UTF-8, they look correct!

So it looks like, under firmware 1.05, Windows files with special characters that were moved to the DNS-323 through Samba were encoded in ISO-8859-1:1998 (Latin-1, West Europe) on the DNS-323, but files moved the same way under firmware 1.06 are encoded in UTF-8.

I would like to use the 1.06 firmware because the release notes say it fixed the issue with the HDDs not hibernating with the iTunes server enabled (and it appears they did fix it - my drives now hibernate just fine), and I would greatly prefer having all filenames translated to/encoded in UTF-8 on the DNS-323 (as Samba under firmware 1.06 appears to do).  But it looks like I will have to find a way to change the encoding as I transfer files from the old to the new drive.  Anyone here have any ideas on how to do that?  It looks like iconv will convert the actual file encoding (though I'm not sure I need to do that), but how do I convert the filename encoding?  convmv looks promising, but I don't have the slightest idea how to get it running on the DNS-323.

Board footer