DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-01-19 11:12:43

nclody

DNS-323 BetterSamba issue

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie in this field... and I will appreciate your help in customizing my DNS-323.
I've read the article on dns323.kood.org but I get stuck at the first step, "edit the smb.default file (on the dns323)". My question is: how can I access the smb.default file? I can't find it anywhere.. sad

Is there a custom made firmware that i can just apply to get the DNS-323 work with a Domain?

Please help me with this...

Thanks!

#2 2009-01-20 03:15:56

mig

Re: DNS-323 BetterSamba issue

nclody wrote:

Is there a custom made firmware that i can just apply to get the DNS-323 work with a Domain?

Nope.

First you need to install fonz's fun_plug (http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0.5/)
Then you need to telnet to your DNS-323
The smb.default file is in /etc/samba directory, you can edit it from there.

Take a look at this post http://dns323.kood.org/forum/t2648-Gett … Linux.html
for some basic linux help

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#3 2009-01-20 22:53:11

nclody

thank you very much!

#4 2009-01-23 22:47:42

nclody

When I thought that I was finally going to join my DNS-323 into the Domain I discovered that either the BetterSamba howto has a lot of mistakes or I'm doing something wrong... Since I couldn't find information sustaining the first possibility, I assume that It's just my fault...

First of all I have to tell you that I'm using Ubuntu Desktop 32-bit Live CD, version 8.10 (for joining a linux machine into domain) and a Vista PC with putty for telnet to DNS-323. The firmware that i'm using is the 1.06

Here are my exact steps

- I telnet to DNS-323:
mount -t minix /dev/mtdblock0 /sys/mtd1
mount -t minix /dev/mtdblock1 /sys/mtd2
vi /sys/mtd[12]/smb.default                I change here the text from "security = SHARE" to "security = DOMAIN" with spaces, exact as shown
sync
umount /sys/mtd1 /sys/mtd2

- I switch now to the Ubuntu machine
first of all I install samba server using:  sudo aptitude install samba

then i stop the samba: sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop

according to the guide now I should "move all the files from /etc/samba" to a safe location but since I don't really use the Ubuntu system, I will edit the smb.conf from /etc/samba: sudo vi /etc/samba/smb.conf

now i delete everything and put only the following lines:
[ global ]
workgroup = MYNTorADDOMAIN
netbios name = dns323
security = DOMAIN

I assume now that the samba must be started... even it's not mentioned..

here comes the "cool" part of joining the domain. if i enter "net join" i get an error message (twice) saying that "unable to find a suitable server". I searched on different webpages and the solution I came with was to modify the text in the previous step at the second line: workgroup = mydomainname. After that i successfukky join the domain with: sudo net join -W mydomainname -U administrator

now i should use the command: scp -p /etc/samba/secrets.tdb dns323:/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/etc/secretes.tdb The problem here is that no secretes.tdb (or secrets.tdb) is found at that location. Instead I have one file with that name in other location ( unfortunately i can't recall the exact path)
Another problem with this command is that no fun_plug.d folder exists on my dns-323 at /mnt/HD_a2/

Can you please get me out of this mess ?

Last edited by nclody (2009-01-24 09:57:46)

#5 2009-06-28 04:04:16

JimmyJazz

Sorry for being a thread necromancer, but I'm in the same boat as nclody here was, and I can't get past it.  I'm also following the DNS323 BetterSamba article.

nclody wrote:

When I thought that I was finally going to join my DNS-323 into the Domain I discovered that either the BetterSamba howto has a lot of mistakes or I'm doing something wrong... Since I couldn't find information sustaining the first possibility, I assume that It's just my fault...

Likewise.

nclody wrote:

First of all I have to tell you that I'm using Ubuntu Desktop 32-bit Live CD, version 8.10 (for joining a linux machine into domain) and a Vista PC with putty for telnet to DNS-323. The firmware that i'm using is the 1.06

For my "test Linux box," I'm using Sabayon 4.1 (a Gentoo live-DVD) that I installed to disc on an old beater machine here at work.  I'm using the supplied command-line telnet client in XPsp3 to connect to our DNS-323.  I'm using 1.07 firmware.  The authenticating server is Win2K3sp2, Enterprise.

nclody wrote:

Here are my exact steps

- I telnet to DNS-323:
mount -t minix /dev/mtdblock0 /sys/mtd1
mount -t minix /dev/mtdblock1 /sys/mtd2
vi /sys/mtd[12]/smb.default                I change here the text from "security = SHARE" to "security = DOMAIN" with spaces, exact as shown
sync
umount /sys/mtd1 /sys/mtd2

Likewise.

nclody wrote:

- I switch now to the Ubuntu machine
first of all I install samba server using:  sudo aptitude install samba

Not necessary in my case.  Sabayon already has samba installed, configured and running.

nclody wrote:

then i stop the samba: sudo /etc/init.d/samba stop

according to the guide now I should "move all the files from /etc/samba" to a safe location but since I don't really use the Ubuntu system, I will edit the smb.conf from /etc/samba: sudo vi /etc/samba/smb.conf

Likewise.

nclody wrote:

now i delete everything and put only the following lines:
[ global ]
workgroup = MYNTorADDOMAIN
netbios name = dns323
security = DOMAIN

I did not delete everything, but merely changed the three aforementioned lines to the appropriate values:

workgroup = fidelitymachine.local
netbios name = nas
security = DOMAIN

nclody wrote:

I assume now that the samba must be started... even it's not mentioned..

Likewise.

nclody wrote:

here comes the "cool" part of joining the domain. if i enter "net join" i get an error message (twice) saying that "unable to find a suitable server". I searched on different webpages and the solution I came with was to modify the text in the previous step at the second line: workgroup = mydomainname. After that i successfukky join the domain with: sudo net join -W mydomainname -U administrator

Here's where I'm blowing up.  I'm a naughty/lazy boy -- I didn't sudo each command as nclody did, but had already done a "su -" prior to the following clip.  I've also done a "cd /etc/samba" at this point.  Our server's name is, very creatively, "SERVER." /me takes a bow.  The first try is simply copying the command verbatim from the tutorial.  Then, like nclody, I had the good sense to "man net," and tried the -W & -U switches to make everything crystal clear.  Lastly, I took a shot at the -P switch (authenticate as machine account), as I figured that's what my DNS-323 would be doing on boot in the future.  I get the same error each time, using the domain administrator's password whenever prompted.

Code:

sabayon samba # net join
Password:
Could not connect to server SERVER
The username or password was not correct.
Could not initialise lsa pipe
Connection failed: NT_STATUS_LOGON_FAILURE
sabayon samba # net join -W fidelitymachine.local -U administrator
Password:
sabayon samba # net join -P nas

nclody wrote:

now i should use the command: scp -p /etc/samba/secrets.tdb dns323:/mnt/HD_a2/fun_plug.d/etc/secretes.tdb The problem here is that no secretes.tdb (or secrets.tdb) is found at that location. Instead I have one file with that name in other location ( unfortunately i can't recall the exact path)
Another problem with this command is that no fun_plug.d folder exists on my dns-323 at /mnt/HD_a2/

Can you please get me out of this mess ?

I also have no secrets.tdb file at the Sabayon's /etc/samba, but that's to be expected, as I, unlike nclody, never managed to successfully join the domain.

I assume that the original tutorial is just stale, having been done with an old version of fun_plug/ffp.  Presumably I'm intended to drop my secrets.tdb file into /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/etc, once I have one to drop there.

So, if anyone can offer me any tips on how to join my domain, I'd be terribly grateful.  For the time being, it's back to Google for me!  The irony of this is that I used to sysadmin a domain whereby Windows 2K/XP clients authenticated against OpenLDAP on RedHat/Gentoo servers.  I've just never done it the other way around! lol

#6 2010-03-03 16:19:50

nclody

Hello,

After "a while" I am back trying to solve this issue...

Unlike the fun_plug wiki, the bettersamba wiki is a total mess. I would be glad to re-write it in a way that can be "understandable".
Is there anyone who managed to use the DNS-323 with a domain? I could really use some help...

I've searched the forums and it seems that i am not the only one who doesn't understand it.

PLEASE help us...

Board footer