DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-01-27 14:51:03

Robocub

Cannot login to DNS-323

For the past few days I've been getting this error page when I try to login to my DNS-323.

Access Error: Site or Page Not Found
when trying to obtain /web/login.asp
Cannot open URL

It seems to happen if I'm logged in already and leave it for a little while without logging out. THen when I go to login in again is when I get the error. It doesn't seem to time out either and my only solution is to shut it down and then reboot.

I've already tried re-uploading the 1.06 firmware but it doesnt fix. Has this happened to anyone else or can anyone explain why this is happening?

I can still mount the smb shares with no problem, it's just the web login I can't get to.

#2 2009-01-30 06:04:50

qwertybnm

Re: Cannot login to DNS-323

I've had a very similar issue since I updated to firmware 1.06 ; I never had this issue with 1.05 or before. After a bit of uptime, if I try to log into the box with the web interface (either over the gigabit wired network or through the wireless router, Firefox reports the following:
----------------
when trying to obtain /web/login.asp?id=4319304

Cannot open URL
-----------------
As in the case of the OP, I am still able to access the shares and the mapped network drive, etc. It is ONLY the web interface which seems to crash.

As I said above, this never happened previously, but it seems to happen regularly since I switched to firmware 1.06. However, at exactly the same time that I upgraded the firmware, I also introduced a substantially more complex home network. It is possible that one of the configuration changes I made to the box to fit it into this network is to blame for this crash rather than the firmware upgrade.

Note, in case it's relevant:
I have a rather complex home network. The DNS323 is plugged into a gigabit switch, which is in turn plugged into a router. It is this router which hands out IP addresses to everything on the network with DHCP. Also plugged into the switch is a second wireless router, which is configured as only a wireless access point (this one covers the back of the house). So to connect to the DNS323 you can either connect (wired) to the switch, or to one of the two wireless routers.

ROUTER1
            |
       SWITCH
      /     |      \
Router2 |     DNS323
     |     Wired /
     |   Network         
     |        |
USER    USER

So obviously DHCP is turned off in the DNS323 (as it is everywhere but router1). It is set up with a STATIC IP address, on the same subnet as the two routers. Gateway and DNS1 set to Router1's IP Address. UPNP server's off. Itunes is on. NTP server is on. Two identical drives set up as JBOD. HD Hibernation on after 30 minutes.

Last edited by qwertybnm (2009-01-30 08:30:11)

#3 2009-01-30 19:31:30

blahsome

Nothing is overly complex in your home network, and I can't see why the network is your problem.

#4 2009-02-03 07:00:57

qwertybnm

you're right blahsome: too much information. I was thinking out loud about whether I screwed something up when I reconfigured the box to be private on this combination private/public network.

#5 2009-02-03 08:41:56

Scherbet

Robocub wrote:

For the past few days I've been getting this error page when I try to login to my DNS-323.

when trying to obtain /web/login.asp
Cannot open URL

It seems to happen if I'm logged in already and leave it for a little while without logging out. THen when I go to login in again is when I get the error. It doesn't seem to time out either and my only solution is to shut it down and then reboot.

I've already tried re-uploading the 1.06 firmware but it doesnt fix. Has this happened to anyone else or can anyone explain why this is happening?

I can still mount the smb shares with no problem, it's just the web login I can't get to.

I got exactly the same problem. Just bought DNS-323, upgraded to 1.06 firmware, no hacks installed yet, not able to see the login page after awhile. I am noticing this tends to happen after running Bit Torrent over a night. Some people suggest the web-server must have crashed on DNS-323. Best way is to telnet into the unit and to see if the web server process is running.

#6 2009-02-03 11:29:05

Ray Radlein

I, too, have been having this problem since I upgraded to 1.06.

If I manually shut down the DNS-323 by powering it off via the front power button, I am able to log back on when it comes back to life; however, in a repeat of one of the old 1.05 problems that I had hoped 1.06 would fix, it immediately begins rechecking and restarting all of my bittorrent files, regardless of whether or not they were in progress before the drive was shut down. And once it has revalidated all of the incomplete and undeleted torrents, it promptly locks me out of the system again and prevents me from logging in.

I've had to implement a shutdown of outbound traffic from the drive at my router to stop it from completely overwhelming all of my network bandwidth in its attempts to simultaneously download and/or seed all dozen or so torrents in my directory.

The reason I am going on about the torrents is that the login failure problem did not happen to me at first when I switched to 1.06; at first, the only odd behavior under 1.06 was that the bittorrent client would frequently not respond to "Stop" or "Start" or "Remove Torrent" requests, or would respond to them only very sluggishly. And then, for a while, it would constntly return an apparently blank torrent status web page, which only revealed itself when I turned off all page styles in Firefox (FWIW, the behavior was identical under IE, Chrome, and under XP, Vista, and Fedora 9). Working with the almost unusable style-free page, I was able to remove a number of completed torrents, after which the regular display returned.

In the interim, I made one further change to my setup: I added a second hard drive to the DNS-323. I'm not using RAID or JBOD, just two volumes, with the bittorrent stuff and user directories being kept on the old drive, and UPnP AV Server Media files being moved to the new drive. And THAT was the point where the sluggish response and occasional flakiness of the bittorrent interface finally tipped over into complete login failures.

Like everyone else, I am still fully able to access both drives at a windows network (or even Linux SMB share) level; it is only the web user interface which is completely unresponsive until I shut the drives down and restart them.

#7 2009-02-21 23:07:21

orhor

yes, since 1.06 I experience the same problem.
The situation is caused by beeing too long observing the torrents status. When I log into torrents administration, and I forget to go off that page before normal Dns323 administrative session ends, it results in such situation. After trying to obtain any DNS323 page I get Access Error: Site or Page Not Found

After restarting DNS all works fine.

D-link sucks by its attitude to its devices support.

#8 2009-03-09 01:18:50

stylofone

Orhor is right. There seems to be little doubt... logging in to the DNS-323 downloads page, and leaving your browser idle with the torrent page open for a few minutes, will crash the web interface (and perhaps other functions crash too, I haven't checked yet).

The work around is: after you go into the torrents section, carry out  whatever tasks you need to do, then LOG OUT. It's very annoying as I always forget to log out and I end up having to power cycle my DNS-323 to get the web interface back. This appears to be a genuine issue with FW 1.06. I wonder if it is something simple in the code of the web interface which could be easily fixed, either with an official FW update or a hack. I am not smart enough to work it out. In the interim, I am probably not going to use the torrent client as much... if at all. A real shame.

Please tell me if I'm wrong,  but I think this is a real bug and not just a one-off with my DNS-323.

EDIT: I have downgraded the FW to 1.05 to see if that fixes it. d-link engineers should be ashamed of themselves!

EDIT2: the web interface has not craashed after a night of testing, including leaving the torrent page open. Looks like 1.05 is OK. Again I say "shame".

Last edited by stylofone (2009-03-09 22:24:39)

#9 2009-03-17 03:19:14

qwertybnm

Orhor has it: the bug is somehow related to the torrent list page in the web interface. My latest web interface crash happened after I uploaded a bunch of torrent bookmark files to the '323 and was getting ready to start downloading them (hitting the 'play' button.) Unlike stylofone, I wouldn't say 'shame', since I think Dlink has been pretty good about pushing useful fw updates out the door. It's one reason I really like this NAS. I do think we should report the firmware bug though.

#10 2009-03-17 03:29:07

qwertybnm

I have tried to report the bug to Dlink; maybe a couple of others should as well.

A question: Are we all using firefox here? Could that possibly be relevant to crashing the web interface? It seems unlikely that the client side browser choice could affect the server, but I don't know...

#11 2009-03-28 09:16:35

rainfrog

First I have to say thank you all for the information as I was freaking out trying to solve this very same issue. Since I have almost no technical knowledge of this field, I felt left out in the dark kept thinking it's the firewall issue until seeing this post.

The only things I can contribute to this issue are:
1. I have FW 1.06 as well. The web interface crashed right in front of my eyes after a mere less than 10 min of observing the Bittorrent download detail.
2. While the web interface is still down, the torrent download, like the hard disk volumes, is able to function. I noticed that because the file I was downloading was at about 10% complete when the web interface crashed (yes it's my first time using torrent on the DNS 323 so my eyes were on the web interface testing it), but when I looked up the BT volume after a few minutes (the web interface is still down as I'm typing it) , the downloaded file was in the "complete" folder already.
3. To answer qwertybnm, this issue doesn't seem like browser specific since I've tried Safari, Firefox on my Mac and IE on my PC and none of them worked.

Hope this would help a little. Again thanks.

#12 2009-10-19 23:27:35

indigo0816

I have solved the issue without rebooting the DNS-323. I am running FW v1.05

1. Telnet to the DNS-323.
2. Kill the process  '/web/webs'
3. restart the web interface by running "chroot / /web/webs"
4. Close session.

Hope this may help.

Board footer