DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-02-14 20:36:47

quantass

Genuises...ANY Quick Hacks for this?

I just purchased a 323 and am new to the forum.  I have no clue what is possible with the hacks out there, if any.  I will soon put in the long hours to educate  myself but in the meantime perhaps some of you can give me pointers on the current issues i have with the DNS-323 unit.  I am using Windows Vista SP1 and have upgraded my 323's firmware to 1.06.   I have (1) 640GB SATA HDD within the unit.

[1]. I noticed within the root folder of the NAS there are the following folders: Volume_1-1, Volume_1-2, web_page, lp, BT, printers.  Is there any way to clean this up (at least consolidating Volume_1-1 & Volume_1-2)?  Ideally i would just want the contents of Volume_1-2 shown or just the folder "Volume_1-2" shown.

[2]. Is there any way to rename Volume_1-2 to something more meaningful?

[3]. Why is it sometimes when i go to remove a file or rename a file on the NAS, it complains the file is locked?  The file has no one using it whatsoever yet it still says its locked and then at some random time it isnt.

[4]. Is there any way i can easily add torrents to the NAS for immeidate download?  I normally have to download the torrent in FF then i navigate to the NAS Web UI, browse to the torrent, Add, then click START.  God thats so annoying.  I would rather just go directly from FF to immediate download in the NAS without the extra steps.

[5]. Whenever we have a power outtage i notice the NAS never automatically turns back on.  I have to run back downstairs and push the power on button.  Is there a way to have the box automatically turn back on after a power failure IF it was already on?

Thanks.  Great box so far.

#2 2009-02-16 03:32:07

lambretta

Re: Genuises...ANY Quick Hacks for this?

quantass wrote:

[4]. Is there any way i can easily add torrents to the NAS for immeidate download?  I normally have to download the torrent in FF then i navigate to the NAS Web UI, browse to the torrent, Add, then click START.  God thats so annoying.  I would rather just go directly from FF to immediate download in the NAS without the extra steps.

I have not used the included torrent client so I am not suire of it abilities.  You should consider creating a network shared directory on the NAS perhaps called "torrents_to_leech".  Mount that directory on your PC, (I think its called mapping in Windows world).  Have the torrent client look at the "torrents_to_leech" directory for newly added .torrent files and have it start them when it see's a new one.  When you D/L a .torrent on your local PC, put it into the directory "torrents_to_leech".

Failing that use rTorrent (or at a pinch install Transmission and the web U.I.)

quantass wrote:

[5]. Whenever we have a power outtage i notice the NAS never automatically turns back on.  I have to run back downstairs and push the power on button.  Is there a way to have the box automatically turn back on after a power failure IF it was already on?

Get a UPS.

Happy learning.

#3 2009-02-16 05:49:56

fordem

lambretta wrote:

quantass wrote:

Get a UPS.

Happy learning.

A UPS does not solve the problem - at some point the UPS battery runs down and the UPS shuts down.  When the power is restored, the UPS will probably restart (most can be configured to), but the DNS-323 will not.

No - there is no way to have the box automatically turn back on after a power failure, unless you hack it.  Search the forum, there are a couple of other threads discussing it, at least one has a simple circuit that can be added to the unit to make it happen.

#4 2009-02-16 09:30:03

Stroker

quantass wrote:

i have this question too, maybe someone can help me rename them. Thanks smile

#5 2009-02-16 17:45:59

ColeTrickle

Stroker wrote:

quantass wrote:

Copy /etc/samba/smb.conf to your drive. For instance /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/custom . Now you can edit the smb conf to your likings.
Now create a new smbshare.sh in your ffp/start directory.

Code:

#!/ffp/bin/sh

# PROVIDES: smbshares
# BEFORE: LOGIN
# REQUIRE: SERVERS

. /ffp/etc/ffp.subr

name="smbshares"
start_cmd="smbshares_start"

smbshares_start()
{
  /usr/bin/smb stop
  cp /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/custom/smb.conf  /etc/samba/smb.conf
  /usr/bin/smb start
}

run_rc_command "$1"

Make it executable and it will start every time you start the NAS.

Code:

chmod a+x /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/smbshares.sh
sh /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/smbshares.sh start

#6 2009-02-17 02:21:13

lambretta

fordem wrote:

A UPS does not solve the problem - at some point the UPS battery runs down and the UPS shuts down.  When the power is restored, the UPS will probably restart (most can be configured to), but the DNS-323 will not.

I guess it depends how long the power is off and what capacity the UPS is.  Where I live it is uncommon for the power to go out for an extended period but not unheard of to have a short interruption.

Last edited by lambretta (2009-02-17 02:25:35)

#7 2009-03-02 15:00:56

Stroker

ColeTrickle wrote:

Stroker wrote:

quantass wrote:

Copy /etc/samba/smb.conf to your drive. For instance /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/custom . Now you can edit the smb conf to your likings.
Now create a new smbshare.sh in your ffp/start directory.

Code:

#!/ffp/bin/sh

# PROVIDES: smbshares
# BEFORE: LOGIN
# REQUIRE: SERVERS

. /ffp/etc/ffp.subr

name="smbshares"
start_cmd="smbshares_start"

smbshares_start()
{
  /usr/bin/smb stop
  cp /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/custom/smb.conf  /etc/samba/smb.conf
  /usr/bin/smb start
}

run_rc_command "$1"

Make it executable and it will start every time you start the NAS.

Code:

chmod a+x /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/smbshares.sh
sh /mnt/HD_a2/ffp/start/smbshares.sh start

Thank you thank you.. works like a charm smile

Board footer