DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-02-26 09:45:20

craig

Cleanboot/fdisk/shutdown failure?

Hi,

I'm running F/W 1.06, ffp0.5, and some optware. I have cleanboot, and fdisk installed. I have two disks running raid 1.

I'm trying to nail down the bug, but I basically cannot shutdown my NAS box. I can reboot, but if I shutdown (either from web or with shutdown), I get an email saying both drives have failed. To fix this, I need to log into the web interface, save my config, and revert to factory settings. When it boots back up - everything is hunky-dory, and I can reload my config.

It was pretty scary the first time it happened, but it seems I can fix it pretty easily. As long as I don't shutdown, it seems pretty stable. Reboots work well, and I think my fdisk/cleanboot combo are working well together to not have any mounting errors.

Any ideas what might be causing this issue? I'm not sure when it started. Also, if I wanted to start a fresh install of funplug and optware - should I just delete the folders from the mapped network ?drive?

#2 2009-02-26 13:06:07

Mijzelf
Member / Developer

Re: Cleanboot/fdisk/shutdown failure?

AFAIK the only difference between reboot and shotdown/restart is the poweroff in between. So when you can reboot without problems the poweroff should be the problem.
I can see two possible sources: the harddisks which startup too slow, or some battery backuped memory which lost its battery.
When the harddisks are the problem, then a simple reboot should be enough to get things working again *if* the NAS doesn't remember  there were problems last boot.
When an empty battery is the problem, I suppose the clock will also be reset. Disconnect your LAN from the internet (to keep the NAS from calling a timeserver) before booting to find out.

Last edited by Mijzelf (2009-02-26 13:08:20)

#3 2009-02-28 09:54:25

craig

I tried disconnecting the NAS from the LAN before booting, but the disks still didn't show up.

I reformatted the disks, and the problem still occurs so it's not anything to do with modding.

I suppose it's just the disks failing to spin up fast enough. They are standard 7200rpm from Hitachi.
    Hitachi    HDT721010SLA360    1000 G   

A reboot after the initial shutdown fixes it. I don't shutdown that often, so it's not a big deal to reboot again. Just rather annoying. Nothing I can do about it eh?

#4 2009-03-05 23:40:31

MosaicPaul

Hey Craig,

It might be your hard drives at fault.  I just bought two of the same 1TB drives, only to find that D-Link's web site now lists those as unsupported.  From http://support.dlink.com/products/view. … id=DNS-323 :

*WARNING* The Deskstar 7K1000.B - Model HDT721010SLA360 Hitachi drives are currently not supported on the DNS-323

Now what should I do with the drives?

Good luck,
-- MosaicPaul

#5 2009-03-05 23:52:15

MosaicPaul

There is more info about this drive's slow start up on the D-Link tech forum at http://forums.dlink.com/index.php?topic=4489.0

According to the D-Link tech people:

"The Deskstar 7K1000.B - Model HDT721010SLA360 hitachi drives are currently not supported we are looking into this issue. "

"Hopefully this is just a timing thing between the PHY ready state of the device and drive.
Until we can resolve this that is the only solution to using this model of hard drive is to do a soft restart from the web gui."

#6 2009-03-28 15:20:57

antovint

Hi Craig,
hope my opinion help you, I have same Hitachi disks, I have fw 1.06 and ffp 0.5, I have the issue that disks are not cleany unmonunted because I'haven't yet installed cleanboot, but my nas chut down and disks spin down correctly. I Have another issus when I power on the nas, both disks are not recognized from nas, but after a rebbot done from web interface they are recognized and mounted correctly.

Board footer