DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-03-18 21:01:15

Kbarslow

Network sharing security

I am concerned about the security of the data on my DNS-323. The ftp is disabled, but the network on which the NAS is attached to is wireless (SSID disabled, WPA/TKIP encryption) and connected to Internet through the modem of the ISP. The firewall on this modem is very poor. The firewalls of the computers on the same network are blocking hundredths of external requests from outside the network each day. I would like to know how possible it is for a skilled person to get access to files stored in the NAS. The passwords for accessing the NAS are very strong.

I would also like to know if it is possible to get a log of the network access requests.

#2 2009-03-18 22:15:30

blahsome

Re: Network sharing security

Are you using a modem/router combo? Typically the router is the one to provide the firewall. Even if you have no firewall, or the firewall is not strong, the router has to be doing some kind of NAT to share your public IP among multiple PCs. Do you have multiple public IPs, one for each PC? Otherwise, I can't see how all the computers on the same network are all accessible from the Internet. In the NAT case, you typically put one and only one computer in the DMZ for it to be accessible from the Internet.

A random suggestion is to change the wireless encryption scheme to WPA2/AES with a randomly generated 63-character passphase. You will have better security and may even see a performance boost. 

But again, you need to be more specific about the firewall issue.

#3 2009-03-18 23:43:43

Kbarslow

Re: Network sharing security

Yes I have a modem/router combo, so I have only one public IP address. I doesn't have any DMZ zone.

I said I have hundredths of external requests, but I haven't verified since I changed my regular modem for the modem/router combo of the same ISP. Now I am on Vista, I am not using ZoneAlarm anymore. That means that maybe I was wrong and I don't have anymore those external requests.

There is no firewall setting on the modem.

Board footer