DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-03-19 11:32:21

wonderbarn

AFP: Cross-Platform Media Serving and Backups

Okay, so after lurking for close to a month BEFORE purchasing my DNS-323 (for $99, brand new at Fry's cuz they mismarked it!), and scouring for a good week now that I've got it up and running, I can't seem to find the pertinent info to my dilemma -- which is strange cuz I've GOT to believe that this is an issue for all the suckers that plunked down some hard-earned bread on a device that's touted as Mac friendly.  Admittedly, I'm a noob in this department, but a hardcore DIY-er who almost never resorts to posting on boards where my noob-ness is so evident.  I know the info is out there, but I'm stumped on this seemingly obvious situation: How do I go about backing up my Macs and using the DLink as a true cross-platform Media Server when two MAJOR programs (Aperture and iPhoto) use long filenames?  I've read all about AFP and SSH and SSHFS, but I can't seem to find a straight answer (or perhaps I'm just missing the forest for the trees.)

I'm running a Wireless/Wired network with a Netgear WGT624 v2 router connected to a Netgear GS116 gigabit switch. Everything on the network seems to be talking to each other alright -- A 2GHz Dual Core G5 running 10.3.9, MacBook Pro running 10.4.11, Windows XP PC, DLink DNS-323 w/2 1TB Samsung Spinpoints (upgraded to 1.06, but as-yet unhacked), Netgear SC101, Xbox 360, PS3, Wii, and AirTunes (I THINK that's it).

I'd planned on dumping all my media (Music/iTunes, Documents, Pictures, Movies, etc.) onto one of the drives in the DNS-323 and pointing all my computers there via symlinks.  I only ever have one document open on any system at a time, so theoretically this should be feasible.  I have an identical setup on a networked 750GB drive which is connected to my G5 via USB 2.0.  I THOUGHT placing all this data on the DNS-323 hooked up to a gigabit network (yes, my cables are all Cat-6), would speed up the process for all my systems save the G5 (to which its directly connected).  Unfortunately, I'm hitting long filename errors all over the place.  My Music and Movies folders transferred okay, but every other Mac folder is running into filename problems.  Will AFP solve this dilemma?  SSHFS?  I get fuzzy when distinguishing between File Protocol and Network Protocol.

ALSO (since I'm whining) -- I've noticed that, according to Sandra, the network speeds I'm getting from the PC to the DNS-323 are about 40MB/sec; from the PC to the G5, about 52MB/sec. When I actually transfer files though, I'm peaking at about 4MB/sec. What gives? From both the G5 and the hardwired Laptop to the DNS-323 those times are hovering closer to 12MB/sec for sustained transfers. When I go from Laptop to G5 it's up to 35MB/sec, and from G5 to Laptop it's up to 50+MB/sec. What is going on? NONE of these times is spectacular, but the whole point of picking up the DNS-323 was faster transfers. If I'm maxing out at 4MB/sec, what's the point? I'm getting speeds that good to the stupid SC101.

Any ideas? Is there a weak link somewhere in the gigabit network, and why is Sandra reporting numbers other than the real-world speeds I'm getting? FYI, I have the router set to assign a specific IP address to each player -- not static, per se, but reserved.  Thanks for your time, and apologies if this has been covered elsewhere.  If you could just point me in the right direction it would be GREATLY appreciated.

All the Best,
jg

Last edited by wonderbarn (2009-04-09 20:59:20)

#2 2009-03-24 15:00:38

wonderbarn

Re: AFP: Cross-Platform Media Serving and Backups

With no one pointing me in a direction, I went ahead and installed ffp  (Thank you Fonz!) and managed to successfully set up SSH.  With the help of some very clear Wiki How-To's and a couple lucky guesses on my part (I am NOT a Linux guy... yet) I got everything up and running with AFP, including a script I dropped in the Start folder so that it's always on.  I also went ahead and added a few lines to the bottom of the fun_plug which gave me access to the smb.conf file -- I was under the impression that adding a "large readwrite = no" line at the top of that file would perhaps even push my speeds up further.  Alas... no dice.  Everything is still working, but I'm not seeing anything higher than the occasional 13MB/sec mark from both my Macs.

With all that said, the Macs are STILL telling me that I can't copy all the files I want to the DNS-323.  It's not telling me whether it's long filename issues or what, but I'm a little bummed that I can't get this thing set up to work 100% with my Macs.  If anyone has any ideas, I would greatly appreciate it.  Cheers...

Last edited by wonderbarn (2009-04-09 20:59:40)

#3 2009-04-07 18:18:48

wonderbarn

What am I missing?  I really thought that enabling AFP would solve this Mac dilemma, but long filenames and non-SMB characters are still killing all my transfers.  Has anyone had any luck installing ExtremeZ-IP or MacServer-IP; is this even possible?  My house/studio is 3/4 Mac, and right now the DNS-323 is pretty much useless.

I understand that folks here don't reply to things unless they have something valuable to say, but I can't believe that NOT ONE person here has addressed AFP/Mac compatibility.  The reason I went ahead and bought the DNS-323 is because there's such a huge support community built up around it, but the fact that not a single person here has been willing (or able) to help thus far has got me a little frustrated.

All that said, any ideas would still be GREATLY appreciated.  I'm not giving up yet!

jg

#4 2009-04-08 05:59:29

unlis

Yes, Mac/323 compatibility is a REAL issue! Personally, I am on the middle of the road to setup AFP with only one reason- to get my huge photo library (by the way very standard jpg/nef/tiff files with no special characters or other then latin) transfered to NAS. But now, I can see that even AFP setup will not help? Gurus can you help us (and I presume to many others) to figure out, not how to setup AFP but how to make this machine work with normal, standard files from Mac. There is no way to transfer 360Gb pics (in my personal case) from Mac to 323 via SMB.

Can anybody help?

#5 2009-04-08 20:08:11

bripab007

I guess I'm confused as to what Mac OS X specific problems you're having.  I've been connecting to my DNS-323 via SMB in OS X for a while, now, and have not every experienced long filename problems.  I have my iTunes music location (~140GB) located on the DNS-323 and have had no problems with that and iTunes on OS X.  I also frequently move videos and documents around to-and-from my Mac and the DNS-323 via SMB connection through Finder and don't have any issues there, either.

Maybe I just don't have any filenames that are so long as to cause a problem on OS X?  Some of the TV shows I have recorded and saved on the DNS-323 have pretty darn long filenames, come to think of it, and they seem to be just fine.

Also, on large, single-file transfers, I can usually achieve ~20-25MB/sec read transfers and ~15-18MB/sec write transfers to-and-from OS X and the DNS-323, both on a gigabit switch.

I also don't understand what the poster means when he says there's no way to transfer 360GB of picture files to the DNS-323 from the Mac via SMB.

Last edited by bripab007 (2009-04-08 20:10:19)

#6 2009-04-09 00:49:47

wonderbarn

I have the DNS-323 showing up on all my systems, Mac AND PC.  Copying basic stuff isn't an issue -- in fact, if you read my first post you'll note that iTunes copied in its entirety without a hitch.

On the other hand, if I try to copy a file (or a folder containing files) that have file-names or lengths that SMB does not support (i.e. symbols such as  ? [ ] / \ = + < > : ; " , * | or names exceeding 32 characters) the whole transfer gets killed if you're putting it onto the 323 from the Mac.  If you access the Mac via a PC and drag the files to the 323, the transfer doesn't get killed, but all the illegal names get CHANGED to something that Samba can understand... which is of course next-to-useless in a backup scenario.  SMB also has issues when copying files like Aperture and iPhoto as they contain "Resource Forks" (is that correct?) which that protocol does not support.

Shouldn't AFP have fixed these issues?  It shows that it's running, but I suppose it's possible that I missed something in the "installation."

I'm on my knees here oh Great Ones: Fonz, Sala, anyone...  Can you give ANY advice on how to successfully incorporate the DNS-323 into my Mac-centric Network?  Heck, if I could I'd just reformat everything as Extended/Journaled, but I'm supposing that would completely wreak havoc on this little black box.  Anyone?  Anyone...?

Thanks,
jg

#7 2009-04-09 04:53:55

unlis

I think I managed this fixed. When I said "no way to transfer 360GB of picture files to the DNS-323 from the Mac via SMB" it was really true, simply because it will stop you on each file during copy, give you error and the you need to start all again. To be honest, AFP setup is quote poorly done here. IMHO if you setup wiki for this device why not to set simple step by step instruction how to set AFP working? I spent 3 almost full days trying to understand how to do it. And I am not a Lynux geek right yikes) and should not be yikes) And what finally I have done? I compile all details what I found on number of this wiki pages and finally managed AFP to work on my DNS323. Now, no problem with long file names (actually it was very standard pics name like IGM123456_copy.jpg or something), no problem with long files copy (actually it was also very standard files but 5Gb size), no problem with kind of bug when smb stopped and gave error on iWork.dmg file.. so all ok, now.. But why not to setup one (instead of many) page for Mac users, who trying to simply use (and in simple way) this device?Why should we (not Lynux geeks but simple Mac users) spend days trying to get information from many different pages (for ex to understand that afpd auto run is explained on one page but how to activate this script on absolutely another one etc etc), learn Lynux and trying to contact geeks without success? May one day, someone will do it and I am ready to help to share my personal 3 days "nightmare" experience..

#8 2009-04-09 16:48:08

bripab007

Well, unlis, it sounds like you're as qualified as anyone to add a page to the wiki for setting up AFPd on the DNS-323.

Even though I'm not having any problems using it via SMB in OS X (I guess I just don't have long filenames, nor do I used it for storing my iPhoto library), I'd be curious how you got everything installed and configured.  What pages of the existing wiki did you follow?

#9 2009-04-10 14:11:48

unlis

Well, I think more or less good step-by-step instruction how to to make 323 friendly for Mac user is here http://www.horto.ca/?p=10.
But still, there is no complete document explaining what should be done with 323 to use it with Mac. There is plenty hacks (exactly right word here), but no "instruction manual" for someone who is not unix geek but rather simple mac user (ok, may be we can call it advanced user). In my case I have done only AFP setup and now the only problem bother me is lack of access control via AFP. For ex. 2 my other Macs seamlessly connects to 323.. but beside user/pass restriction same users getting access to whole volume1. However, if connection done via smb then restrictions are in place. It can be good example of current situation when you passing through learning Lynux to setup your device for simple and hassles Mac access, but ultimately you facing other small problems (see above) which are not explained in one place. Again, my point remain the same- initially 323 is NOT mac friendly and if you trying to find cost effective RAID NAS solution for tons of your: pics, aacs, mp3s and simply other files (large archives and docs), then remember you will need to spend (presumably you are not Lynux geek) days to search all wikis, googles, etc etc to compile and understand how to make it work. For me personally it was kind of funny to learn how to use text editor "vi" , actually I did not know that you will need it and only via telnet/ssh yikes) Then, even if you succeed, you will still need to learn other Lynux based things (for example, I am now learning and trying to find how to restrict access via AFP to 323 from other users in my LAN, etc etc).So, conclusion is simple- if you are just advanced Mac user with specific need (see above) , better spend 100$ more and buy something like Synology 207 or similar, which are Mac friendly initially (at least you dont need to spend time to setup AFP yikes)

#10 2009-04-14 03:08:04

Stork

Unlis,  thank you, thank you for the link.  I now have the 323 and Time Machine working on my Macs.

I, too, second the desire to have a "Mac/DNS-323 101".  I guess the above link will do for now.

However, I now need a 101 on how to use the iTunes server (mt-daapd).  I've got some mp3s on the 323 and my MacBook Pro iTunes sees the mp3.  Now, how do I put my playlists on it, too.  But, that's for another thread, I guess.

Unlis, if you've got this far, you're not far from finished configurating your 323.  You'll do about the same amount of work with a Synology 207 at twice the price.  The 207 is a Linux box, too.

BTW, I found it kinda fun to return to the 70's and 80's and force my brain to remember UNIX and vi, etc.  Thank God, I don't have use Lisp on this box!

Best of luck getting your 323 to work on your Mac.

#11 2009-04-14 04:43:47

toolbox

unlis wrote:

Well, I think more or less good step-by-step instruction how to to make 323 friendly for Mac user is here http://www.horto.ca/?p=10.

Maybe I am missing something, but I don't see any memtion of AFP at the URL. There is a reference to use 323 as time capsule but I assume the method can be used at any network drive and not unique to 323. Are there other URLs to make DNS-323 MAC friendly?

#12 2009-04-14 09:27:41

unlis

yes, horto.ca is the only place where you can get more or less good "instruction manual" how to setup DNS323 for Mac ;o) we need to say thanks to him smile but my point was, that if I may know that 323 is not Mac friendly (spent totally 1 week time for AFP and Transmission setup), then I will buy (only 100$ more) 207 from Synology. Still need to learn a bit Lynix to understand how to setup limited access (via AFP, due to that access via webbased interface works for SMB only) to different users (family). And again, openly speaking, 323 is pretty neat device and I am happy for the moment being, but 1 week spending was painful...

Stork, 207 is Lynux, but according to spec it is support AFP in advance, no need to setup anything to be able to get seamless transfer tonns of pics and files from mac to NAS smile I think you are lucky because at least you "remember" something from UNIX, me not smile thats why it was whole week trying to understand "how to edit config files", "how to use command line", "how to use VI editor" , etc. Hope you are done with iTunes, I did not yet... all the best.

#13 2009-04-14 20:01:54

wonderbarn

Yeah... after emailing back and forth with Unlis I was thinking of selling the 323 on Ebay and picking up a 207 myself (or even a 209).  They are Linux-based, but the spec sheet and all the reviews say that it supports AFP right out of the box.  That said, I finally got AFP working on the 323, myself.  Feel free to hurl insults at me, but...

After following all the Wikis on installing ffp, enabling ssh, installing appletalk/netatalk and the db42 package, modding the afpd.conf and AppleVolumes.default files, then adding an afpd.sh file to my startup folder I still had to figure out ON MY OWN that I needed to:

1.) "chmod a+x afpd.sh" IN the startup folder to actually have it run upon startup, and...

2.) Setup an FTP User Account on the 323 in order to mount it via AFP.

I'm sure this is all old hat to the many seasoned vets here, but I know almost NOTHING about Linux, and when someone tells me to put a file in the startup folder, I just ASSUME that means it will start up on a reboot.  What's more, setting up FTP to access AFP seems counterintuitive.  And while it might be out there (or on these boards somewhere) I didn't find ANYTHING that instructed me to perform these two very important steps.  I had to just keep guessing 'til something worked.

Having typed and assumed all that, IS there a way to mount the 323 as an AFP share WITHOUT logging in with an FTP account?  (Note: not via FTP, but with an FTP account)

Last edited by wonderbarn (2009-04-14 20:03:49)

#14 2009-04-15 05:12:08

Stork

wonderbar,
Know what U mean about this *NIX stuff.  Ah, it's a hobby.

Now, with respect to mounting a AFP share.  U've got me stumped.  I'm running 10.5.6.  I think the firest time I got AFP running, my Finder window saw it.  Hmmmm, you might want to try this:
1.  In Finder, Go -> Connect to Server (last item in "Go" menu).
2.  Click on Browse.
3.  My 323 shows up in the widow and along the side under shared.  It's call dlink-xxxx where the xxxx is the 323's MAC address. 
4.  If yours does not show up, close the window, and do the Go -> Connect to Server again.  This time enter in the Server Address window "afp://your323ipAddress/".  If that doesn't do it, I give.

Good Luck!

Last edited by Stork (2009-04-15 05:13:32)

#15 2009-04-15 07:19:18

wonderbarn

Stork... that's interesting.  Let me clarify on the AFP share, and tell me if any of this makes any sense.  I'm running 10.3.9 on one system and 10.4.11 on the other, but the results are the same on both.  In order to get the AFP share working I have to:

1. Setup either group or individual FTP accounts to specific FOLDERS in the 323 web GUI.
2. These folders DO NOT show up when clicking Browse, but if I enter "afp://your323ipAddress/"...
3. A window pops up labeled "PERSONAL" that contains a dialogue which states "Select the volumes you wish to mount"
4. I click on whichever Folder I set up in Step 1, and I then have a bona fide AFP mount.

Now the other ways around leave me with situations SIMILAR to yours, but it doesn't ever work correctly.  Here's how it goes:

1. Setup either group or individual FTP accounts with ROOT access in the 323 web GUI.
2. The 323 DOES NOT show up when clicking Browse, but if I enter "afp://your323ipAddress/"...
3. A window pops up labeled "PERSONAL" that contains a dialogue which states "Select the volumes you wish to mount"
4. The only choice is FTP.  I click it and it mounts with both volumes visible, but opaque and showing that the mount is only 1.2mb in size.
5. Clicking on either volume makes it disappear.

Or...

1. Setup either group or individual NETWORK ACCESS with R/W priveleges and delete all ftp access in the 323 web GUI.
2. The 323 DOES show up when clicking Browse, but says that the alias could not be opened cuz the original item can't be found.  However, if I enter "afp://your323ipAddress/"...
4. The only choice is FTP.  I click it and it mounts with both volumes visible, but opaque and showing that the mount is only 1.2mb in size.
5. Clicking on either volume makes it disappear.

As you can see, both of the last two efforts at connecting result in the same weird ftp mount with nothing in it.  Which is doubly weird in the second case as I've not set up any ftp access whatsoever.  I'm a little baffled.  In your situation, have you setup any ftp accounts whatsoever?  Are you getting login/password prompts when you mount via AFP?  If so, whose l/p are you using if you haven't set up an FTP account?

Finally, after all my hooing and hawing, I've discovered that while my afpd.sh file is "on" in the startup folder (bright green in a "ls" command via Putty), it must not be working properly as I still have to go in and manually tell AFP to start after each reset.  (i.e. "/ffp/sbin/afpd")  Any clues what I might be missing?  I copied the script straight from the Wiki.  I'm aware that I can put a line in the fun_plug that will start AFP, but haven't found anyplace that tells me HOW to do that.  Help would still be appreciated.

Thanks
jg

Last edited by wonderbarn (2009-04-15 07:40:33)

#16 2009-04-15 23:44:48

lotech

If only Bonjour was as easy to setup as AFP was!
Its funny how learning this *nix stuff teaches me a bunch of things about my own mac. It's still a bit foreign to me though. I wish someone could write an all in one script to install funplug, afp & bonjour - and maybe Firefly (as the built in iTunes server sucks).
Good thread though.

Last edited by lotech (2009-04-15 23:46:23)

#17 2009-04-15 23:54:52

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

lotech wrote:

Have you tried http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0. … html#avahi ? I don't think it's hard to configure the basic set of static services.

#18 2009-04-16 02:50:51

Stork

Wonderbarn,  Wow!  I've never created any ftp accounts.  My setup worked from day one after installing AFP.  I'm afraid I can't help you.  Good explaination, though. 

I'm running Mac OSX 10.5.6 (Leopard).  I've had one Mac running Leopard before I got my 323.  No problem accessing and using the 323 with this Mac.  However, my PowerBook had 10.4.11 on it and was having trouble with access the 323 and another NAS on my home network.  So, having a family pack for Leopard, I upgrades the PB, and it then worked fine with the 323.  I now have a MacBook Pro also with 10.5.6.  All three Macs are using the 323 to serve iTunes music and to back up the Macs using Time Machine.  The sol'n to your problem may be upgrading to Leopard.

#19 2009-04-16 06:50:28

unlis

I am on Tiger and did not setup any ftp to be able to access to 323 via AFP. All what I do is command+k and put AFP://your 323 IP.

#20 2009-04-16 08:38:15

lotech

Indeed I gave it a try but got a little lost.-Your post motivated me again but tried and got it working! YES!
The tutorial is still a little heavy in *nix nerd code, a couple more lines of explanation on there would no doubt help quite of few people.

fonz wrote:

lotech wrote:

Have you tried http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug/0. … html#avahi ? I don't think it's hard to configure the basic set of static services.

Board footer