DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-03-22 04:52:59

njoy

No 3rd party firmware or debian downloads?

I see these guides allover the net how to make your own firmware for the DSM-G600, but I've never seen anyone post a download of a 3rd party build. Are there any?

And the guides of how to chroot to debian are old an outdated. How come no one posted a premade funplug including a working setup of debian to just download.

We're all on the same hardware so everyone shouldn't be having to compile everything all from scratch.

My DSM-G600 in its original state is very buggy and needs a restart quite often. The ftpd crashes some ftp sessions. I can't install any funplug that supports XBOX 360 UPnP AV. The samba sessions freezes time to time. Transfer speeds goes up and down when copying files from it. I wanna make use of this ugly little NAS somehow.

Tim

Last edited by njoy (2009-03-22 05:00:24)

DNS-323 - Excellent in many cases.
DNS-313 - Love it, but hate that D-link only prior the DNS-323 development.
DSM-G600 - Noisy, slow, unstable and ugly. I simply hate it so far.

#2 2009-03-22 12:34:17

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Re: No 3rd party firmware or debian downloads?

njoy wrote:

I see these guides allover the net how to make your own firmware for the DSM-G600, but I've never seen anyone post a download of a 3rd party build. Are there any?

http://dns323.kood.org/dsmg600/howto:custom_firmware

njoy wrote:

And the guides of how to chroot to debian are old an outdated. How come no one posted a premade funplug including a working setup of debian to just download.

False, debian bootstrap (chroot) guide is working.

njoy wrote:

We're all on the same hardware so everyone shouldn't be having to compile everything all from scratch.

False, debian = already compiled, custom firmware = already compiled, gentoo stage 3= already compiled.

njoy wrote:

My DSM-G600 in its original state is very buggy and needs a restart quite often. The ftpd crashes some ftp sessions. I can't install any funplug that supports XBOX 360 UPnP AV. The samba sessions freezes time to time. Transfer speeds goes up and down when copying files from it. I wanna make use of this ugly little NAS somehow.
Tim

For example I do use gentoo hdd boot on dsm-g600, with latest samba 3.3.2, vsftpd 2.1.0 and transmission 1.22 using latest lighttpd and php. No problem so far. There is just one thing, you'l have to know what you are doing or buy support from the people who know what they are doing.
All info posted in this forum and wiki's is as is people have posted it. Don't like it, don't use it. All at your own risk.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#3 2009-03-22 18:30:21

njoy

Excellent, and a quick reply too.

So your firmware 0.4 is the latest option there is?

I know pretty much of advanced puter related things, I see myself as having big knowledge in most things. But new areas requires new sources of information. As for this forum and wiki I find it hard for ppl that dont know what some things involve to just suddenly know everything about them. Even though you know a lot about Linux based NAS devices and their hardware, you somehow started with nothing too. And since this is a nisched website, why travel the internet to get a grip on something when it just requires a few more sentences of basic information before taking you to the advanced parts.

As for the DNS-323 wiki, it's becoming excellent in my opinion. It lets many viewers get a good way of knowing this stuff. That way newcomers can grow from this website and the 3rd party development can accelerate.

#4 2009-03-23 08:44:44

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Anyway, you can get started with whatever you want to get accomplished, using wiki pages and forum topics as guides. If you run into problems, then just ask for help. It's a normal procedure.

I would not recommend custom firmware at all. Gentoo works best on this little nas because it is optimized for low memory device.

First I would recommend you to get gentoo working on a regular pc or mac to just get more familiar with this linux.
Then you can install gentoo to sda3 and use loader.o method to boot into it. After everything works correctly you can add loader.o lines to fun_plug and you can boot directly to gentoo, without running any commands.

You are right, it is possible to make a tarball which you can simply extract and boot, but I just don't recommend it. Take it as a test, if you cant setup this easy gentoo or debian installation, then you should not try to use it first place.

I am sure that many people want to do things their own way and not using any preconfigured and pre-setup tarballs is the best way to support this. After all installing gentoo to DSM-G600 is very similar with the method you use to install this on a regular pc. Same thing apply to debian with debootstrap.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#5 2009-03-23 11:10:42

njoy

Appreciate it very much, thank you.
Tim

#6 2009-04-20 22:54:37

njoy

The debian wiki has lacking or invalid instructions leading to nowhere.

There's no complete packages of either Debian or Gentoo for just unpacking and rebooting your NAS. Just parts. How is this such a problem when the bigger problem in my opinion are invalid/incomplete instructions leading to nothing.

Following the somehow not so obvious instructions for Gentoo resulted in a broken ptys.

Following the instructions for Debian resulted in: printf: No such file or directory.

Last edited by njoy (2009-04-20 22:58:52)

Board footer