DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-04-14 11:03:57

raoul.grasselli

DNS 323 power supply, and drive consumption

reading datasheet of several drives from hitachi and seagate, i found that each sata hdd require from 2 to 2,8 Amp (at 12V) on spinup... (and about 1A on 5v) so... for two drive.. from 4 to 5,6 Amp at 12V.. so, the provided power supply gives 3A on 12V.. so i missed something.. how it possible two drive spinning with this low curent from power supply...  someone can explain how it's possible?

#2 2007-04-14 13:34:24

nicko

Re: DNS 323 power supply, and drive consumption

What you're missing is that the DNS powers up the drives sequentially, like most SANs, for precicely this reason.

Nicko

#3 2007-04-14 15:41:39

raoul.grasselli

nicko wrote:

What you're missing is that the DNS powers up the drives sequentially, like most SANs, for precicely this reason.

Nicko

what you say is that i supposed...

and that is what support answer to my question...!

"This device like most electronic boards have capacitor that store charge and amplifiers  for increased amperage."

it seems dns cold have very very very big capacitor to do so...!!!?? to supply 3amp from capacitor during spin up!!

or... like most support... these are not techicians... but castomer care... that responds as support...

however your answer i think answer to my question... and is reasonable...thank you...

#4 2007-04-15 11:43:49

skydreamer

raoul.grasselli wrote:

nicko wrote:

Nicko

what you say is that i supposed...

and that is what support answer to my question...!

"This device like most electronic boards have capacitor that store charge and amplifiers  for increased amperage."

it seems dns cold have very very very big capacitor to do so...!!!?? to supply 3amp from capacitor during spin up!!

or... like most support... these are not techicians... but castomer care... that responds as support...

however your answer i think answer to my question... and is reasonable...thank you...

Level 1 D-link technical support would not know the answer.
The capacitors in the D-link switching power supply will not suffice to provide the disk startup current. They are specified to filter the high frequency switching power supply output plus the rectified AC sinewave and will not hold enough charge for the disk spin-up. Unavoidably the 12 V supply line will drop momentarily as the current limiter kicks in but this is not going to affect either the already running disk or the electronics of the DNS-323 that are powered from a separate 5V line. Most of the disk motors can work with a lower voltage on the 12V line for a short period of time as long as the 5V line remains stable (this is needed for the electronics to decide if the emergency head parking cycle should be initiated).

Board footer