DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-05-02 04:28:19

drick

question from n00b linux user on ipkg path error

hi,

following the directions here and on the related sites i was able to get funplug installed easily. post install i enable syslog and ssh, and disable the telnet service. i also changed the root password as suggested. all this went quite well with all the excellent documentation and postings.

feeling adventurous, i also was able to get ipkg and then got the smartmon package installed. smartmon works correctly, but for some reason the path settings don't work so i have to dive down about 5 directories to get to the binaries.  i followed the directions located here (http://www.nslu2-linux.org/wiki/Optware/Dns323) to the tee, but their comment at the end was what threw me:

"You can set PATH environment varaible in /etc/profile to include /opt/bin and /opt/sbin. Also consider setting TMPDIR environment variable in /etc/profile if the default /tmp is too small for certain programs."

i see several other posts that refer to similar issues, but no solution. is this something that i just didn't look hard enough for? there is no /etc/profile for me to edit, therein lies my problem.

root@B2D:~# whoami
root
root@B2D:~# echo $PATH
/ffp/sbin:/usr/sbin:/sbin:/ffp/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

Last edited by drick (2009-05-02 04:39:40)

#2 2009-05-02 09:52:47

LuckyBlack

Re: question from n00b linux user on ipkg path error

#Edit /ffp/etc/rc and add :/opt/bin:/opt/sbin to the PATH export
vi /ffp/etc/rc

try this.... i have and here there is the PATH variable

#3 2009-05-02 10:58:33

talkingRock

drick,
I'm not sure how noob you are, so forgive me if there is too much or too little detail.   

First of all, the /etc directory is overwritten by the firmware with each boot, so on this device, that wont help you.

If you are using ffp, there is something to do.  The shell that comes with ffp, /ffp/bin/sh, looks in /ffp/etc/profile for its default profile.   If you edit that file, you will see the path being set (on line 17 in the one that I have).   You can just change that line so that it reads:

PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/ffp/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

have fun.

Of course, as a temporary measure, in any shell prompt, you can type

export PATH=/opt/bin:/opt/sbin:/ffp/bin:/usr/bin:/bin

to get the path set up right for that session.

#4 2009-05-16 23:36:37

Timber

Hi,
tried all your suggestions but the PATH is still not sticking when I logout. Any suggestions?

Board footer