DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#26 2009-09-18 16:22:55

mrbillions

Re: Compile 'Squeezed' (tiny squeezecenter) for the Ch3snas

Found this which helps a *little* bit

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic. … 140#p32140

shuts down squeezecenter if no client present.

#27 2009-09-19 08:18:24

jotka

fonz wrote:

If you can avoid it, it's better to not use the web interface.

I've read on the original squeezecenter forum that they are working on no-fancy-web-gui version of squeezecenter, for nas purposes especially.

#28 2009-09-19 16:37:08

knireis

jotka wrote:

fonz wrote:

If you can avoid it, it's better to not use the web interface.

I've read on the original squeezecenter forum that they are working on no-fancy-web-gui version of squeezecenter, for nas purposes especially.

and they will also drop the mysql database, that will improve load on the nas as well. but with just 64mb don't expect any miracles from the dns-323. Newer nas devices com with at least 256mb and i think they want to target that market.
(that is why i bought a sheevaplug, so i don't have to buy a new expensive nas but can keep my trustworthy CH3SNAS and still have a good performing squeezecenter, or squeezebox server as the new version will be named.

Last edited by knireis (2009-09-19 16:39:49)

#29 2009-09-25 23:49:55

mrbillions

My conclusion is: don't bother installing the full squeezecenter on the dns-323, too slow and inconsistent. you won't like it. I'll wait for the squeezed solution or will give the sheeva plug a go.

#30 2010-12-05 08:28:54

JonnyA

Hi, all. This is an old thread, but I figured I'd resurrect this one to discuss squeezed, rather than starting anew. If there's more interest in squeezed, perhaps we can start a new thread.

I did some digging in the squeezed code and managed to get the latest version to work on my Windows machine with the SoftSqueeze client. But so far on my DNS-323 I can only play music with squeezed if I use squeezed's built-in web interface to add tracks to the current playlist. Without the built-in web server, I'm stuck at the same place as everyone else -- the SoftSqueeze client is stuck at the Now Playing screen.

Fonz, if you're super-bored, could you update your squeezed package to include the latest source from the squeezed project? The project isn't very active, but there were a few updates since you created the package. I'm guessing (wildly) that the display-rendering and command-handling logic in squeezed were updated, and that's why SoftSqueeze working with the latest version on Windows.

If y'all were unable to use squeezed's built-in web interface, then you might have been missing squeezed's HTML template files. They're stored in an "html" sub-directory. They're not in the squeezed compiled binaries or the ffp package, so I had to download them from the project repository. That got the web interface working on my DNS-323 (at http://yo.ur.ip.addy:9000/).

I also browsed the source to see how the config file worked. I don't know C++, but I think the following notes are accurate as of the current version of the squeezed project (but not necessarily the current version of the ffp package):

* The path value under [config] is not used. The config file is always loaded from the current directory (wherever you are when you execute the binary).

* The dbFile and dbIdx values under [musicDB] refer to the locations of these database files. The default is the current directory, so use relative or absolute paths to store them wherever you'd like.

* The path value under [musicDB] refers to the top directory of your music library. I don't think it's related to the dbFile and dbIdx paths, even though they're under the same config heading. So you can use a relative or absolute path here to point squeezed at your music library.

Board footer