DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-06-06 14:27:11

DasCrushinator

DDNS with DNS-323 and WRT54G2: Is it possible?

I have tried the built in DDNS feature for the DNS-323, but for whatever reason I am only able to access the DNS-323 with that address while on the same network as the DNS-323. When I am at another physical location (e.g. my dad's house), it does not work. The router I am using (WRT54G2) has the ability to do DDNS, too, but it doesn't seem to allow me to select DynDNs.org (without refreshing the page automatically and reverting back to disabled) and even if it does, I have no way of forwarding the ports or anything to the DNS-323. I would really like to make it to where I can use the Remote Management pages as well as access the DNS-323 from a remote location (so I can access files, connect to a session or irssi, ssh into it, add .torrent files, etc.)

Any help with this is so very greatly appreciated!

Edit: To clarify, I do have a xxxxxxxxxx.dyndns.org account.

Last edited by DasCrushinator (2009-06-06 14:27:59)

#2 2009-06-09 11:08:02

DasCrushinator

Re: DDNS with DNS-323 and WRT54G2: Is it possible?

Figured it's been a few days. Anybody?

#3 2009-06-09 13:37:01

Electrocut

DasCrushinator wrote:

I have tried the built in DDNS feature for the DNS-323, but for whatever reason I am only able to access the DNS-323 with that address while on the same network as the DNS-323.

So DDNS seems to be ok.

When I am at another physical location (e.g. my dad's house), it does not work.

Have you already setup Port Forwarding, on your WRT54G2. Setup a fixed IP on your local network, on you DNS-323 device first: it's the easiest way to configure Port Forwarding next.

Just to be sure DDNS is ok, open a command window, type:
ping xxxxxx.dnsalias.org

and look at the resolved IP adress: it should be your PUBLIC IP address, on the Internet ; not the DNS-323's IP on your local network.

Last edited by Electrocut (2009-06-09 13:40:13)

DNS-313

#4 2009-06-11 10:03:58

DasCrushinator

Electrocut wrote:

DasCrushinator wrote:

I have tried the built in DDNS feature for the DNS-323, but for whatever reason I am only able to access the DNS-323 with that address while on the same network as the DNS-323.

So DDNS seems to be ok.

When I am at another physical location (e.g. my dad's house), it does not work.

Have you already setup Port Forwarding, on your WRT54G2. Setup a fixed IP on your local network, on you DNS-323 device first: it's the easiest way to configure Port Forwarding next.

Just to be sure DDNS is ok, open a command window, type:
ping xxxxxx.dnsalias.org

and look at the resolved IP adress: it should be your PUBLIC IP address, on the Internet ; not the DNS-323's IP on your local network.

While DDNS was setup on the DNS-323, I pinged it and it returned the NAT IP (192.168.x.xxx) on the network. Strange as I would have thought it would have taken care of the dirty work for me.

I disabled it on the DNS-323 and enabled it on the router. I pinged again and it showed my ACTUAL IP (xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx) and then forwarded a port to the DNS-323 yet it still does not allow me to connect to it. Pinging xxxxx.dyndns.org:xxxx returns a "cannot resolve unknown host error."

Any more help would be greatly appreciated!

#5 2009-06-11 17:50:14

wortelsoft

Never heared of pinging with a port number.
If you want ping the dns-323 to work you should setup port forwarding for the ping port number (and maybe in the router firewall enable the setting)

I think you should look up how to setup forward ports on your router.

Last edited by wortelsoft (2009-06-11 17:51:48)

#6 2009-06-11 18:27:52

Electrocut

Pinging with a port number is non-sense, because PING Requests are working over ICMP protocol. Ports number or only available with TCP or UDP protocols.

What you should try, is to redirect (on the router) the port(s) you know your DNS-323 is listening on: this could be :80 (web page), :23 (telnet access), :21 (ftp access), then try to connect from your remote location

Last edited by Electrocut (2009-06-11 18:30:03)

DNS-313

#7 2009-06-11 20:39:02

DasCrushinator

wortelsoft wrote:

Never heared of pinging with a port number.
If you want ping the dns-323 to work you should setup port forwarding for the ping port number (and maybe in the router firewall enable the setting)

I think you should look up how to setup forward ports on your router.

I know how to and have known how to for about 8 or so years now. Did not know about the pinging with a port number part though.

Electrocut wrote:

Pinging with a port number is non-sense, because PING Requests are working over ICMP protocol. Ports number or only available with TCP or UDP protocols.

What you should try, is to redirect (on the router) the port(s) you know your DNS-323 is listening on: this could be :80 (web page), :23 (telnet access), :21 (ftp access), then try to connect from your remote location

Again, I have redirected the ports on the router to the DNS-323. It sees the xxx.dyndns.org as the proper IP now, but I cannot access the DNS-323 still. If it makes any of you feel better in my ability to do so, I can forward ports to my computer (which has a static NAT IP) for torrents and it fixes issues with that. So like I said, I am well aware of how to forward ports. Figured that sense I have the issue with the DNS-323 and not with any computers on the network that the problem might lie within the DNS-323 and not my abilities or the router.

Edit: Success! I forwarded port 80 (did not realize the port number had to be specific :S) and was able to access the remote web management. Now all I need to do is find a way to be able to access it via SSH and maybe AppleTalk/SMB from outside the network. Speaking of which, do you guys know if accessing outside the network via either of those protocols is unsafe so long as I have it specified to only allow access with a certain username/password?

Thanks for all of the help!

Edit 2: Forwarded port 22 and now SSH works. Just need to get SMB/AT working and I'm set! Is there anyway to change what ports different services are accessed on? Like SSH, FTP, etc.? Also, is it going to be picky about what ports I chose for Bit Torrent (or if usenet clients require it, usenet)?

Last edited by DasCrushinator (2009-06-11 22:44:44)

#8 2009-06-12 12:45:21

wortelsoft

Have a look in this thread:

http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4504

That's a lot safer. That way you have a lot less programm's where you have to make sure there are no known security issues. Like al the build in stuff might only get updated with a new firmware.

SSH and vpn software is in your own hands.

Board footer