DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-05-04 03:12:15

pcm

DNS-323 incremental backup doing a full backup...

I have a my DNS mounted on my PCs as a S: drive and there is a Shared folder where I place files to be shared by all PCs (iTunes, photos, etc).

I'm trying to back this area up, to one of my Windows XP SP2 PCs using "ntbackup". I do a full backup to my C: drive and it works fine, but the "archive" flag on the files is still set on the NAS. If I try to do an incremental sync, it ends up backing up all files again! So the backup is taking forever and the backup file doubles each time I run the backup.

Backups from the PC to a "Backup" folder on the DNS-323 work just fine, incrementals only backing up changed files, as expected.

I'm at a loss as to how to remedy this.

I also have Nero BackItUp (came with my DVD drive), but haven't tried it.

Any suggestions?

#2 2007-05-21 16:18:27

Biscotte

Re: DNS-323 incremental backup doing a full backup...

My problem is similar to the above - doubling up on file backups.  I think there is a problem synchronizing a windows computer and a Linux server.  I have trawled the net and only turned up references to clock drift on different computers.  I am pretty certain that is not the problem I have. 

I use Far Manager to backup files.  There is an option for updating only newer files from the host directory to the target server directory. 
This works perfectly for windows to windows machines. 
However for windows to Linux copies there is a problem of some sort. 

Here is how it goes.  I back up a directory from my windows machine to my DNS323.  A week later when some of my files have changed, I do an incremental backup - newer files only. 
As mentioned above, for a windows - windows setup this works fine. 
However when I do it for a windows - Linux setup, there is a discrepancy on the time date stamp of some files.  Basically I have to back up the same files - changed or not changed, again.  It is always the same files, each and every incremental backup. 

It should not be a clock drift problem as the files should be time date stamped the same as the original when they are copied (yes/no?). 
The same problem occurred when I used a Linux kernel based NASLite setup (very s.l.o.w.). 

The only thing I can think of is that the Linux kernel on the DNS323 ''rounds'' the time, sometimes down thereby making it appear to need to be backed up again.  But my knowledge of Linux is so limited that this is a pure guess. 

I suppose one answer is to use different backup software that is known to work windows to Linux? 

Any thoughts anyone? 

Thanks in advance

Biscotte

#3 2007-05-22 13:31:31

pcm

What I'm seeing on my system, is that incremental backups from my Windows XP box to my NAS are just fine, but backups from the NAS to the Windows XP system (to backup a shared area) is effectively doing a full backup each time (using ntbackup).

With more research, I see that the "archive" flags on the files on the NAS are NOT clearing. Even if I manually clear the flag, using the "attrib" command, the flag is not clearing. I don't know why this flag is not clearing, but am pretty confident that the flag is preventing the incremental backup from skipping the file.

Anyone see this problem?

Anyone know how to solve it?

#4 2007-10-16 13:30:07

Hedgehog

pcm wrote:

What I'm seeing on my system, is that incremental backups from my Windows XP box to my NAS are just fine, but backups from the NAS to the Windows XP system (to backup a shared area) is effectively doing a full backup each time (using ntbackup).

With more research, I see that the "archive" flags on the files on the NAS are NOT clearing. Even if I manually clear the flag, using the "attrib" command, the flag is not clearing. I don't know why this flag is not clearing, but am pretty confident that the flag is preventing the incremental backup from skipping the file.

Anyone see this problem?

Anyone know how to solve it?

Yes. I have seen the exact same thing. There seems to be no possibility to reset the archive flag from windows on the DNS-323. Neither from the backup program, nor manually.

Since using the archive flag for detecting which files have been changed, or been added, an incremental backup will always result in a full backup if the archive flag can not be reset.

I don’t know how this works under other operating systems than Windows. In my MacBook I struggle to even see a archive flag (I cant find it). Can it be that this is a windows specific feature? If so – how do we get around it?

#5 2007-10-24 22:48:04

Hedgehog

Update.

After contact with D-Link support they say that this issue will probably be solved in an upcoming firmware update. They don't give any indication as to when the update will come though.

#6 2007-10-25 01:29:03

fickle

have you tried not using NT backup and using something like robocopy (without the archive bit checked?).

#7 2007-10-25 22:20:07

Hedgehog

fickle wrote:

have you tried not using NT backup and using something like robocopy (without the archive bit checked?).

No, I haven't tried that. Can Robocopy make incremental backups without checking the archive flag?

#8 2007-10-26 02:41:44

fickle

i cannot recall, but i think it can.. just download it, its fee and give it a shot

SUGGESTION, you get the GUI version of it so you can set the flags (makes life so much simpler)

#9 2007-11-25 19:04:21

GoGo!

The DNS 323 doesn't store timestamps at the same resolution as NTFS does. Thus rounding errors make the files on the DNS 323 look older or newer than on the NTFS volume. If you use something like robocopy you can tell it to consider files with a timestamp within a 2 second window identical. For robocopy you do that with the /FFT switch (this mostly works, not always).

Board footer