DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-09-15 09:22:25

ben2e

After FW Update 1.0.7 - unable to map drive from Windows XP

I've gone through several scattered posts but no luck so far. Here's what I have.

Easy Search finds the drive, prompts me for username/password (which I don't believe happened before but it had been working a long time). Error is "Failed to map drive".

On the PC, I have a second NAS (a Linkstation) mounted successfully so I think the PC is at least capable. It's a Lenovo T400 if that matters.

I've also tried the net use commands, the error I get is

System error 67 has occurred, the network name cannot be found. I followed some MS instructions on a workaround for this one but no luck (disabling the IP Translator).

I can't of course be certain it was the firmware update that did it. I also tried updating my workgroup setting and hitting save. That fixed a similar issue several months back but no luck this time. 

Again, no problems at all mounting the linkstation. I do have Funplug installed and at least everything else works fine. I'm probably 98% full but that's hopefully a separate issue. Anyone have a suggestion that might help ?

#2 2009-09-15 14:02:39

rcblackwell
Website

Re: After FW Update 1.0.7 - unable to map drive from Windows XP

ben2e wrote:

System error 67 has occurred, the network name cannot be found.

On-line informaiton regarding this error indicates it could be a share problem. Since upgrading have you used the DNS323 web interface to validate users and file shares?

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

#3 2009-09-15 19:25:34

ben2e

I've appletalk mounted it from my iMac and it seems to work as it has. ssh'ing to it has been extremely slow but it eventually connects. I've accessed it using the web ui. Tried deleting and recreating the share to give the workgroup group rw access to volume_1 but no luck. The error that comes back from easy search when I attempt the mount is immediate but it does take a few seconds to get the un/pw prompt itself.  Net use takes a few seconds to fail.

When you say validate the share, what operation are you talking about ?

Only other odd thing I can think of is when I connect to the web interface, it always prompts me to format the drives but this has been the case for a long time. I hit the skip button to pass it up but of course it worries me a little just in case I hit the "next" button there but again, this was around long before my current problem.

#4 2009-09-16 02:57:30

rcblackwell
Website

ben2e wrote:

When you say validate the share, what operation are you talking about ?

Do the shares exists and have users been assigned access rights.

ben2e wrote:

Only other odd thing I can think of is when I connect to the web interface, it always prompts me to format the drives but this has been the case for a long time. I hit the skip button to pass it up but of course it worries me a little just in case I hit the "next" button there but again, this was around long before my current problem.

That's not a good thing!  Did you perform a reset after performing the upgrade?

Bob Blackwell
Pickering, ON

#5 2009-09-16 07:23:39

ben2e

The shares show up and the permissions are correct at least on the web ui.

I did restart the device after the fw upgrade. I'm able to ssh in as root. Maybe it's time to check out the system logs. Hopefully it's not in need of rebuilding.

#6 2009-09-16 10:06:39

ben2e

I seem to have had some luck although I'm not sure why anything changed. The account I was attempting to connect the share to had a misconfigured shell. When I changed it to /ffp/bin/sh, the connect worked. It doesn't do the seemless connection using the same userid as the windows box which I swear it did before but nonetheless, I'm able to mount and access files. I'm definitely missing the steps required to make it work as it did before but it's better than nothing.

If I have the same username on windows and on the dns-323, and have the dns-323 members of the workgroup group, shouldn't it connect without a password ? In any case, it's minor compared to having access at all. I appreciate the replies.

#7 2009-09-21 11:31:10

ben2e

Just wanted to follow up on my own message for those who may be troubleshooting the same problem.  For some reason, the drive didn't restart the samba daemon when it rebooted. smb start did the trick. I didn't find any error in dmesg or any log I could find as to why, but once I restarted it, the windows mount worked immediately. /etc/rc.sh had smbd -D in there.  Thanks again Bob for the help. I should probably have checked this daemon before.

Board footer