DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-09-18 16:38:21

SpiceTea

Little Startup problem ... permissions and other topics ;)

Hi,

I have a dns323 with funplug installed on it. I use my toaster mostly for backup, torrent and ssh tunnel ( for privacy from work, university, hotspots, etc. )

Yesterday, i created a script that monitors a directory... That scripts runs from startup... When everything seems fine, i rebooted the box.
After rebooting, i saw that i made a mistake... the script will create a new "instance" of himself each 120seconds...

So i try to connect to ssh to delete the script... oh... ssh is not running anymore... arg... it refuse the connection... If i connect with SMB or FTP, i don't have the permissions to delete the script from the start directory...

I'm not sure why ssh is not running...
Telnet is, of course, not running...

What should i do to get back the control of my toaster ? wink

#2 2009-09-18 17:01:32

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Re: Little Startup problem ... permissions and other topics ;)

you've put your script into ffp/start and it doesn't background or terminate? bad idea.
if during startup, your script is run before the telnet or ssh start scripts, your script blocks everything else as the scripts are run one by one.
if you can edit the main fun_plug script, add line like 'chmod a-x /ffp/start/my-wrong-script' before /ffp/etc/rc is run.

#3 2009-09-18 17:35:07

SpiceTea

Hi,
Thanks for your reply fonz.

that's why ssh didn,t start... sad
I'll try to edit the script, but my access are ftp and smb ... I tried logged in as root or admin in ftp but it was timing out. When i use a regular user, there's not time out at the authentication ...

but if i can't delete it... i'm not sure i'll be able to edit it ...

In case i cannot change the script to add the chmod line... What are my other options ?

#4 2009-09-18 17:58:07

index monkey

Can you take the hard disk out of your toaster and plug it into something else, ideally a linux PC and then remove the offending script?
Good luck!

Last edited by index monkey (2009-09-18 18:01:31)

DNS-323, HW B1, 2 x 2TB WD green, fw 1.08, fun_plug 0.5, transmission, automatic, nzbget newsreader & rsync time machine backup.

#5 2009-09-18 18:27:47

SpiceTea

if i unplug the disk, plug it in a linux box, adjust the scripts and stuff... and plug it back into the toaster...

The toaster wont format it ?

#6 2009-09-18 18:40:48

index monkey

Well I havent tested it on your rig...are you using raid 1 ? If so this may confuse your little toaster...
If you are using a single disk it should be in the right hand bay, and go back into the right hand bay after.
If unsure backup everything first.

DNS-323, HW B1, 2 x 2TB WD green, fw 1.08, fun_plug 0.5, transmission, automatic, nzbget newsreader & rsync time machine backup.

#7 2009-09-18 18:46:54

SpiceTea

Well, it's hard to backup since i don't have the space available elsewhere smile

i'm not using RAID ( i don't remember the exact name of the settings ... ) but i have two 1TB disk with no redundancy... So it should be fine ?

#8 2009-09-18 20:03:55

mig

SpiceTea wrote:

Well, it's hard to backup since i don't have the space available elsewhere smile

So, would it be harder to find (get) the space to backup the data or
recreate the data if you loose it when something goes wrong?

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#9 2009-09-18 21:24:06

SpiceTea

Hi,
Thanks everyone for your suggestions... I will try a few things before i buy diskspace, amazon could be an idea smile

I have a few questions to direct/help my research.

1) Is it possible to execute a command using the web-based interface ? If only i could start ssh( or even telnet will be fine ), everything will be solved smile

I just have to found one script that i can edit( ftp or smb ) and call from the web interface ... For example, if i can find a way to overwrite/edit the ftp calling script, i will be able to restart the script from the web-based interface after i included my own "code". That code will restart ssh or delete the bad-script or chmod it ... It doesn't have to be the ftp script... it can be anything that is accesible using the web interface...

2) How does the startup scripts order works ? Is it alphabetical order ? so the a.sh will start before b.sh, etc ?

3) I wonder if the scripts will be able eat all the 64 megs of memory ...  If the parent scripts is killed, will all the scripts die, so the other startup scripts could have a chance to be run smile

Board footer