DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-05-22 00:47:51

arnljot

What to do?? Deleted files that shouldn't be deleted....

Hi,

My gf deleted some of her precious files on the nas, and alas... There isn't any clear way to undelete.  The WinXP waste bin is empty, sems like network disks are left to cater for themselfs.

I've been looking into this and it seems I have two options:
1. Leave it at that, shrug and say: Too bad, files shouldn't be deleted.
or
2. Take this howto to heart, and get at it. The howto

Now, if I venture down the howto-lane. Here are some things to ponder.

1. Enabling telnet and setting up the funplug script, how much chance is it that just that will fubar the recently deleted files?
2. Will I have access to the command 'debugfs'?
3. Is my memory failing me, or is it not ext2 in firmware 1.03 which I'm using with my mirror raid config of two 500GB disks (about 7GB available space)

I hope you fine gents can answere these questions so that I know if I'm ventureing down a path that is not blocked ;-P

Cheerio!

#2 2007-05-22 01:27:00

Ethereal_Dragon

Re: What to do?? Deleted files that shouldn't be deleted....

I can't answer your questions, but what I did before my last firmware upgrade, what to limit my lady's access to the NAS. I made ONE folder with read/write permissions, for her to put whatever into, and set the other folders with pics, music, and videos to read only. I did this because after setting up the NAS, much of my music 'mysterysiouly dissapeared'... cause she didn't like some of it, and didn't realize that is was GONE, not just out of her view... Good thing I never deleted the source files I used to populate the NAS. big_smile

Gaming Rig: ASUS Z87-PRO (V EDITION), Intel Core i5-4590 Haswell, HyperX FURY 8GB DDR3 1866,
XFX Radeon HD 4870, SILVERSTONE DA700, Samsung 840 500Gig SSD MZ-7TD500BW, 3x WD20EARS 2 TB Green,
ASUS DRW-2014L1T (DVD), LG WH14NS40 (Blu Ray), Dell 2709W, Sony SDM-HS95P, Windows 10 Pro
The NAS Box: D-Link DNS-323, 0.1RC3 Alt-F firmware, 2x 7200.14 ST3000DM001 3TB EXT4 - NO RAID - 6 TB

#3 2007-05-22 01:28:34

DNS-323 Talker

How did she delete them - from Explorer, a program, or ?   Not sure if it matters, but is your drive mapped to a letter on the PC from which she deleted the images?

I would have assumed that if you were deleting from a program that it would invoke the Windows Trash Can, but it appears that I may assume too much.  I do my own backups of all files on my NAS drives to a USB drive (so I can take a copy to work to safeguard it in the even of a robbery or house fire) but I'd sure like to know as well how this works, and why files on NAS drives wouldn't be covered by the same protections that files on "normal" drives are...does this same limitation apply to USB drives as well, I wonder?

Last edited by DNS-323 Talker (2007-05-22 01:29:03)

DNS-323 w/two Seagate 500 GB RAID1
Fonz's Fun_Plug- Don't DNS-323 without it!

#4 2007-05-22 02:36:19

mykroft

Any device/drive connected direct to a Win98/me/2k/xp etc since win95 can/will use the trash can if the file is not over a certain limit (ex 4G iso files I sometimes delete will not fit in the trash can).

Any drive MAPPED can not and will not use this trash can feature.  That is because the file is not on a device that windows is directly controlling.  To do what you want/need, windows would 1st have to transfer the whole file to a windows controlled device and then delete it.  This would prob be ok for small files, but for 1G+ files this would be extremly slow.....

Myk

#5 2007-05-22 05:19:17

fordem

arnljot wrote:

Hi,

My gf deleted some of her precious files on the nas, and alas... There isn't any clear way to undelete.  The WinXP waste bin is empty, sems like network disks are left to cater for themselfs.

I've been looking into this and it seems I have two options:
1. Leave it at that, shrug and say: Too bad, files shouldn't be deleted.
or
2. Take this howto to heart, and get at it. The howto

Now, if I venture down the howto-lane. Here are some things to ponder.

1. Enabling telnet and setting up the funplug script, how much chance is it that just that will fubar the recently deleted files?
2. Will I have access to the command 'debugfs'?
3. Is my memory failing me, or is it not ext2 in firmware 1.03 which I'm using with my mirror raid config of two 500GB disks (about 7GB available space)

I hope you fine gents can answere these questions so that I know if I'm ventureing down a path that is not blocked ;-P

Cheerio!

Based on the questions you're asking I want to believe that how to is over your head.

But - if the data is of sufficient value, you fancy yourself her knight in shining armour and you're willing to take a shot at it - here's how  Iwould approach it, and let me make it clear I'm no linux guru.

Start by shutting down the NAS, do not write any files to it, do not try to install the fun_plug or any other libraries.  Do not do anything that wries to the disks.

Remove both disks, store one in a safe place - this is your "fall back" disk.
Download the "linux live" distro of your choice and create the CD.
Install the remaining disk, the "working" disk from the NAS in a PC and boot from the linux live CD, typically the linux live environments will not let you write to the hard drive unless you specifically choose to do so, learn how to use the undelete tools, and when you're comfortable with them, if you have not been able to undelete the files on the disk you are working from, get the other disk, the fall back disk, and image it to the "working" disk and take another shot at it.

And to both you and the other gentleman who had files deleted - backup is the solution - backup, Backup, BACKUP

#6 2007-09-10 02:10:42

RedneckReg

I had the same problem, except my wife deleted some of her files.  I was not able to restore them for some reason, but I did find some undelete utilities that were able to see the EXT2 file format:

R-Studio 
http://www.r-tt.com/

Linux-Reader for Windows
http://www.diskinternals.com/linux-reader/

These utilities do not work over a network, so you will have to pull a drive from the DNS-323 and plug into your system or attach via a USB external enclosure.

Board footer