DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-12-14 14:43:39

wildboy

Question: Enable Samba encryption?

I configured the DSM-G600 to require a user account for read/write access, because I share my home network with a neighbour and don't want them to access my files.

When using a recent Linux distribution (Ubuntu 9.04, smbclient) or a recent Windows version (Vista, map network drive) to access DSM-G600/HDD_a, it will complain about the password being wrong.

I learned that DSM-G600 doesn't support the most recent (and more secure) password encryption mechanism, but only the older mechanism named "Lan Manager".

I was able to configure both Linux (smb.conf) and Windows (manage security policies), allowing them to connect. However, I'd rather not.

So here is my question:

Is there any upgrade mechanism for DSM-G600, that will upgrade its Samba Server to support the more secure Samba password encryption, and therefore not require tweaks in clients accessing it?

Thanks in advance
Wildboy

#2 2009-12-15 14:52:42

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Re: Question: Enable Samba encryption?

There is couple of ways, but you are on your own if you want them to be done.
First you can try to crosscompile new version of samba. You might need to apply a patch to make it work correctly from web interface. Running diff will tell.
Other option is to chroot into gentoo or debian but you will loose webinterface controll over samba features. You might compensate this with swat.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

Board footer