DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2009-12-16 00:32:31

phlipmode

Conceptronic CH3SNAS bricked - advanced users please help!

hey guys!

im finally here in this forum, after trying now for more than 2 weeks, to fix my ch3snas.

I read also a lot here in these forums, but i tried almost everything, but nothing works.

one week ago i added a serial port to my ch3snas, which seems to work fine so far. i can connect to uboot and do everything i should need to.

everytime i flash the kernel or ramdisk, i get mostly the "bad crc error" . one time i had successfully flush the kernel but the ramdisk everytime fails.

i saw some topics in this forum related to this error.

the most advanced topic is this one . http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4656

i tried almost everything there posted. now i get so far, that i boot the kernel after uploading it once after typing this command.

bootm 00100000 (the adress where the loadb command save the data to)

then the kernel checksum is ok and the device boots.
the harddisk turning on and i see all the dmesg messages.
i would love to boot from nfs or form another ramdisk on another memory address but everytime i boot the ramdisk or try over nfs, i get the

ehci_platform ehci_platform.20865: EHCI Host Controller

error. This fucks me up, sorry. but why there? has anyone in here some advanced ideas. i tried almost every method posted in wiki, forum and other pages.
can maybe tell me someone, why this could hang there? its the usb controller right? could there be some thing wrong?

another question, could be the soldering bad? i can transfer files without error, i can boot uboot and type my command without error. so i think the soldering of the serial device should be ok, or could that be also a point of interest?

thanks for any help i dont want to give up!

phlipmode

Last edited by phlipmode (2009-12-17 21:09:37)

#2 2009-12-16 13:20:56

phlipmode

Re: Conceptronic CH3SNAS bricked - advanced users please help!

Ok, yesterday i had another interesting progress.

I was able to load the kernel and ramdisk from the netboot.img provided by debian.

The installation works quite well, but after reboot, i got again the bad crc error from the kernel check of uboot.

the clue was while booting the debian, it hangs on the usb device detection.
then i thought, maybe to disconnected my serial cable. And that was the trick, the machine booted up, i plugged in my serial cable again and i could get into the installation. During the installation, the debian installer said, he had flashed the kernel to the memory. but i guess there went something wrong again.
because, as i said, after rebooting the uboot hangs on "bad crc checksum" kernel message.

I will try further after work in 2-3 hours.
My next try will be, to load the kernel and try to boot over nfs, and then flash the md2 and md3 block manually with dd.
i hope this will work, otherwise i guess the flash memory is broken or something like this. i can not understand why this happened, but if the nfs method will not work, i guess i have to give up. sad too bad, that the debian installer didnt flash the thing right, i spend much effort in this, after installing one hour or more, the reboot hangs again, very disappointing...

any ideas, what else i can do, are really really welcome!

bye

Last edited by phlipmode (2009-12-16 13:22:26)

#3 2009-12-17 21:07:12

phlipmode

Hey again,

yesterday i tried to boot over nfs to manually flash the mtd2 and 3, but i couldnt boot over nfs, all the time: "kernel panic: root vfs not found kernel panic..."

then i tried to load the officially conceptronic firmare with the method above and yes it worked. i could connect to the webinterface of my ch3snas.
then i tried to load the new firmware over the web interface. Everything went fine, but the next reboot puts me back to reality.

bad-crc error...

How could that be? is my flash broken? how can this happen? should it try further? any help is very appreciated!

thx

phlipmode

Last edited by phlipmode (2009-12-17 21:08:11)

#4 2010-01-04 13:59:25

phlipmode

Hey all,

i just want to close that thread, as it should be.

i want to inform all of you, that my CH3SNAS is working again! Yes, and even with Debian!
6 Weeks of reading, soldering, buying, programming and hacking, and its working smile

i had several problems at least, i will try to put them together here in a few sentence, maybe someone else will need this help.

here we go:

if you are connected over serial cable and watching the boot sequence with kermit or something like this, it show alwas BAD-CRC even if the kernel is flashed correct. That is quite strange, i dont know why, but if im not connected to the device, its booting quite well, if the kernel was flashed correct. Conclusion: Always unplug the serial cable after you flashed a kernel or ramdisk to the flashrom.

if the boot sequence is stopping anywhere, mostly with EHCI HostController error message, try to unplug the serial cable and plug it in again. The device will boot further! had this several times!

using the "dd" command to write the kernel and the ramdisk to the device, didnt worked for me. i dont know why, but i had to do it with "cat"

Code:

cat uKernel > /dev/mtdblock2
cat uRamdisk > /dev/mtdblock3
poweroff

After that, i powered off the device, unplugged my serial cable and power it on again! Voilà!

Before all this worked, i had to do it like i described aboved.

connect with kermit

device: loadb r

kermeit: send uRamdisk

after that, copy the ramdisk from the saved placed to a different place in the flash. i did always like this:

cp 00100000 03000000 0015343*
*the lenght of the ramdisk in bytes, you can see this after you send the Ramdisk or Kernel to the device. the length is shown by the device before erasing the flash

than do this with the kernel again

cp 00100000 02000000 0232302*
again, the thrid number is the length in bytes!

after that try to boot up with

bootm 0200000 0300000.

after that, you can user busybox to use wget and get the ramdisk and kernel again, to cat it to the flashrom.
or you can mount a nfs directory where the files are saved. both worked for me.

i recommend the netboot.img from debian it self. its a nice ramdisk with everything you need for!

thats it for now!

mine is working again. YEAH! Hope yours too smile if not, feel free to contact me.

bye
phlipmode

Board footer