DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-01-13 21:15:48

chemi

Looking for a Streaming Media Server (not uPnP)

I am looking for a Streaming Media Server that is able to stream on-demand files via HTTP. All what I find is uPnP.

The scenario I am trying to achieve is to browse via web some kind of movie catalog from my NAS (possibly created with yamj) and selecting the movie from that HTML catalog (a specific URL), a Media Player like WMP, VLC, etc... open and plays on-demand the movie served by the Streaming Media Server.

Any idea? As I said I have seen the built-in uPnP Server in DNS-323 FW 1.07, Twonky, MediaTomb, etc... but all of them are uPnP so I can't start the movie i want from a web browser.

Thanks in advance,

Chemi.

#2 2010-01-14 14:49:35

Kai

Re: Looking for a Streaming Media Server (not uPnP)

Not sure what your problems is with the available UPNP servers. Most of them provide a web based interface not just for configuration but also to access content via a web browser? At least twonky does provide web based media browser for sure..

#3 2010-01-14 15:14:04

knireis

#4 2010-01-14 15:41:09

chemi

Thanks for the answers. Currently I was investigating VLC. It seems it can act as a server of media on-demand... (I have a little proff of concept now running in my Windows) and it seems it is available for DNS-323 which is next step to test.

About Twonky, I agree you can browse the content, but when you decide what to see... what happens? Can you click on a specific element in your browser? What is opened?

I will take a look to Music Browser. I was not aware of it.

Thanks,

Chemi.

#5 2010-01-14 16:24:52

oxygen
Website

chemi wrote:

About Twonky, I agree you can browse the content, but when you decide what to see... what happens? Can you click on a specific element in your browser? What is opened?

In Mediatomb this works.

#6 2010-01-15 00:02:10

Kai

Ok, got what you mean. Default behaviour using the media web browser in twonky is download rather than start streaming.

You might want to
a) install vlc or mplayer plugin for your browser
b) hack arround in twonky's web config files
c) Use a different web server (which can be installed on your NAS), create a few simple scripts and pages by your own that access the twonky media browser in a way you want. Keep in mind upnp is not rocket science and largely build arround http, xml a bit of SOAP etc.
Should not be a big deal if you really need this

#7 2010-01-19 10:57:04

chemi

I still "fighting" with VLC.

Just in case you find interesting... I was able to register rtsp:// protocol with firefox following the indications of this URL: http://support.mozilla.com/es/kb/The+pr … ny+program so now, when I click over my HTML catalog automatically VLC is started streaming the movie...

"Problem" I have is that currently VLC doesn't manage a directory of movies automatically. You need to register one per one although you can give VLC a command file with all the commands. I am thinking how to automatize the process as much as I can.

Regards,

Chemi.

#8 2010-08-10 10:19:50

topfer

Kai wrote:

Not sure what your problems is with the available UPNP servers. Most of them provide a web based interface not just for configuration but also to access content via a web browser? At least twonky does provide web based media browser for sure..

I do agree with your opinions. Thank you for all good info I should have pointed out. But there are so many good reports the list would be to long. Any way thanks again for not thrashing a new guy.

Download Vlc Player

Board footer