DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-03-09 20:41:27

alexw

Cannot Access hard drives via samba / network

Hi everyone,

(I have browsed through the forums and have found similar issues but none exactly the same (at least, none that were resolved!).)

I'm running a DNS 323 with two hard drives and firmware 1.08. I used to have fun_plug installed but removed it (the below problem happened while it was still installed so not sure if removal is related...).

Problem: I cannot access the hard drives via the network (samba) after, about, 10 minutes after powering the 323 on. At first I can connect but then after that period of time I get the message:

\\XXX\Volume_1 is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions.

The specified network name is no longer available.

...that's from Windows 7 network browsing. If I connect from XBMC (on an xbox) I can connect at first but again lose connection 10 minutes into watching a movie...

What's working: FTP connection works fine, and the iTunes server seems to always work.

So, I can type the 323's name or ip address into Windows Explorer and bring up the view showing me the 323's root (Volume_1, Volume_2, web_page, etc) but I cannot gain access to any of those folders unless I go through FTP or the iTunes Server.

I have a feeling it may be to do with ownership/permissions of the drives in there but can't work out why FTP and the iTunes server would still work...

Any ideas would be really helpful : )

#2 2010-07-08 05:38:24

krimb1

Re: Cannot Access hard drives via samba / network

Hey alex,

I've never had the exact problem you're describing, but have had some samba troubles before. In my case I'd never see the DNS-323 visible under my mac's "Shared" section in Finder; instead *I'd* have to connect to it manually (which it always did fine) and then it would "find" it.

To my great relief, my problem was solved after I setup avahi and advertised my samba shares. Now they show up as soon as the DNS boots, and I never had a problem.

Maybe you can take a gander at it and see if it solves your problem. I used Avinash's guide here. Note: on my machine I only installed libdaemon and avahi and setup the smb.service file; all packages were from fonz's repository. (I never installed netatalk since I didn't need Bonjour or AFP.)

If you need more detailed instructions, just let me know! Best of luck smile

Last edited by krimb1 (2010-07-08 05:43:50)

#3 2010-07-08 10:53:34

alexw

Hi, I ultimately tracked this problem down to the Firefly iTunes server. Even though it seemed to be the only thing that was actually working once I did a reset to factory settings but left it disabled everything seems to work 100%. Go figure.

ps It also seemed to take a few minutes to get itself running which could be why I was able to get access initially but got blocked after a little while.

Thanks for offering help anyway.

#4 2010-07-08 15:34:08

fordem

Resetting to factory default tends to cure any number of glitches - so it's not necessarily the iTunes server - it could have been a misconfiguration.  Now, if you could prevent the problem by disabling the iTunes server and then recreate at will by enabling the iTunes server - then you would have tracked it to the iTunes server.

#5 2010-07-09 11:57:31

alexw

Haha, yes thanks Fordem, but of course I'd previously tried resetting to factory defaults. That's, like, the first thing every post in this forum (in any forum, come to that) recommends : )

And, yes, I could recreate the problem by re-enabling the iTunes server.

It's been a few months but I did take pretty extensive notes trying to fix it and I could dig those up and try to recreate the problem if it will help someone but seeing as though my DNS 323 has been happily chugging along for months now I'm loathe to get into this all again if my "it was the Firefly Server in the cellar with the lead pipe" is sufficient.

Nevertheless, I'm happy to help out if you guys need more info.

Cheers,

Alex

Board footer