DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-03-15 12:55:50

laxity

Help! Problems configuring CIFS share with no password?

I have a LIMHD200i HD media player which can access CIFS/NFS shares but it doesn't support any kind of username/password authentication.
I have tried sharing out /Movies as a samba share using "everyone" but the media player can't access the share the NAS is expecting a password.
If I try to connect to the share via a laptop I am prompted for a password. I have checked the smb.conf file and it seems to be sharing as "guest ok = yes" so
why is it still expecting a password? How do I configure a samba share with no user/pass authentication?

Many thanks,
Richard.

#2 2010-03-15 21:23:23

j.smith

Re: Help! Problems configuring CIFS share with no password?

There's a lot of documentation over at samba.org (look up documentation, then online man pages, then smb.conf) about how the security settings work and how guest shares work.  I think that all the clients have to authenticate (even for a guest share)... so try making a login for the media server and see if that works.

Alternatively, you can use fun_plug functionality to implement your own smb.conf and restart samba on boot with your own config.  That's what I do (to implement user based security, and also tweak some other settings).

#3 2010-04-14 07:31:54

infecticide

I have a similar problem on all my dns323's since upgrading from fw 1.07 to 1.08.

I had one open share which was read only for my family and our media player connected to the TV and one which was attached to my one and only user on the NAS for R/W access.

Now it prompts for a password  unless I have just the open share and no others.   Is there a way around this?

This is pissing me off since it worked fine before the upgrade.

[update]

I can browse the shares on my Kubuntu laptop with the expected results.

The open share does not ask for a password but the other does.

Why then does this not present the same way for the Media player?

Last edited by infecticide (2010-04-14 07:45:09)

#4 2010-04-14 08:08:56

RobertFontaine

While I don't know the answer I found that kicking the tires seemed to help.  There is some kind of inconsistent state that happens in the firmware.

.. I created another share in the firmware and added a new user
I could then map to the share.
I couldn't figure out what the heck was going on so I removed the shares and users and added the volume_1 share back in and magically it worked again.

I don't know what causes the bug in the state information but you can push it back into a working state.

Board footer