DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-03-19 05:42:17

sonofbuster

About to Purchase DNS-323...

i've posed this question to the crowd on other forums and have gotten blank stares. i'm looking for a NAS enclosure for two Hitachi 1.0 TB SATA harddrives (HDS721010CLA332). what i'd like is mainly a central (reduntant) storage disk for mine and my fiance's files, pictures, music, etc. she has a laptop with Windows XP, i have a G4 MDD with 10.3.9 on ethernet, and between us is a Linksys wireless router and an HP LaserJet P1006 that is shared through my computer. media serving is not really a priority, but it does interest me for the future. i would like to have the unit act as a print server so i don't have to fire up my computer to print from the laptop.

also, i'd like to be able to, if possible, have both computers be able to access and write to the one iTunes library on the NAS so we don't have to manually update libraries, or add ripped music to the other person's iTunes library. all my music is on my Mac, but frequently, i will download samples, podcasts, etc., from the PC while in the kitchen or sitting on the couch and would rather not have to transfer the files twice. or my fiance might rip a CD from her computer and i might want to hear it, but also put it on my iPod or a playlist. that might not make sense...eh..

thanks for the input!

checklist:
- RAID 1? yes
- Windows XP compatible? should be.
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 compatible? should be.
- Print server to HP LaserJet P1006? i believe so after a seach here.
- Can modify iTunes library from both computers? not sure.
- Reliable? we'll see...
- Easy to use? HOPE SO!

#2 2010-03-19 12:12:46

Pejn

Re: About to Purchase DNS-323...

I got my DNS323 box for 2 years ago and its been working flawless all the time, only one time its gone down due to power failure, Linux is stable as a rock smile

Been using it mostly as a network disk accessing it from two computers tried xp,vista and win7 all working fine, printing from both computer works (canonip4000).  With funplug Transmission works great for torrents, and lighttpd webserver also.

The only negative thing i can remember is when i installed the second HD it formated the wrong one, this been a known problem for a long time but they havent fixed it yet i think sad

#3 2010-03-19 16:05:32

fordem

sonofbuster wrote:

what i'd like is mainly a central (reduntant) storage disk for mine and my fiance's files, pictures, music, etc. she has a laptop with Windows XP, i have a G4 MDD with 10.3.9 on ethernet, and between us is a Linksys wireless router and an HP LaserJet P1006 that is shared through my computer. media serving is not really a priority, but it does interest me for the future. i would like to have the unit act as a print server so i don't have to fire up my computer to print from the laptop.

Two things ...

1 - redundancy is about availability - so your redundant storage will still need to be backed up.
2 - small HP lasers are notoriously problematic when it comes to print servers.

#4 2010-07-16 07:39:52

sonofbuster

seems like i'm running a unique set of requirements, so in case anyone comes sniffing around wanting to do what i wanted here's my results from my original post:

- RAID 1? yes
- Windows XP compatible? yes.
- Mac OS X 10.3.9 compatible? yes (and worked with 10.5 until my G4 bit the dust).
- Print server to HP LaserJet P1006? yes for the PC, no for the Mac.
- Can modify iTunes library from both computers? with a little trickery, it worked, but it will rebuild the Library every time you switch from PC to Mac or vice versa. it takes several minutes to rebuild the Library.
- Reliable? went haywire when trying to use the iTunes server and now i am stuck.
- Easy to use? Web interface is easy enough to use, but not for the GUI types if you want to get into the inner workings or have to modify it outside of the Web interface.

so in summary, i could probably live without the thing. i mean, i still have to physically switch the printer cable to print from both computers. the iTunes Library rebuilding thing is annoying to the point that i don't open iTunes on both computers anymore. and now it won't spin down the hard drives or fire up the fan and i have to go in through TelNet to fix it.

otherwise, it's holding my files just fine as far as i can tell. works great for iTunes if you don't have to switch platforms. but built-in, or direct-connect, drives can do the same thing.

eh..

Board footer