DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-04-02 02:16:10

Zoltok

Converting old drive into RAID?

OK, here's the situation: I have two Seagate Barracuda 7200.12 1TB drives, and a fresh out of the box DNS323, with the latest firmware. One of those drives is from an old external enclosure and is about half full of stuff; the other one is blank. I'm trying to get these setup as a RAID 1 array, but obviously I don't want to lose all my data.

I was hoping I could insert the blank drive, format it as RAID 1, transfer my files onto the new drive, plug in the old drive, format it, and have RAID rebuild the drive. But looking through the menus I can't find a way to do that.

Is this even possible? Would I be better off just formatting each one individually and setting up an rsync to back up one drive to the other?

#2 2010-04-02 08:14:22

fordem

Re: Converting old drive into RAID?

You CAN, start with a single disk, format it, store data on it, and then add a second disk and create a RAID1 array.  When you install the second disk and power the DNS-323 up, it will prompt you to format the newly installed drive and that screen will have a check box to create a RAID1 array - check the box and after formatting the disk, the unit will setup the RAID array and sync the data.

If you chose to go this route, I would STRONGLY suggest you back up your data before you start, and also that you wipe all partitions from any previously used disks before installing them in the DNS-323.

Would you be better off with individual disks backing them up one to the other?  You don't provide enough detail for us to make that decision, however, that question suggests that you're thinking of RAID as a form of backup - it isn't.

#3 2010-09-22 00:57:15

Homeslice

Hello,

I am facing nearly this exact situation except my old disks were in a FreeNAS set up and are therefore formated in UFS. 

I started out by putting one of the drives into the DNS -323 and using UFSexplorer to copy all the data from the second drive onto the new 323 box.  Now I want to move the first HD into the 323 and build a RAID1 mirror. 

Does it matter which slot the drives are in?  Or can I just slide the drive in, format it and set it as a mirror?

#4 2010-09-22 03:14:49

mig

The safest way to setup RAID1 from existing disks is...

1) make a backup of all your data
2) setup your disks to RAID1 according to the web admin console
3) restore your data from backup

Remember to setup a periodic scheduled backup of your data to keep your data safe
from other disaster scenarios.

@homeslice: since we can't see the code for the scripts D-Link produced for RAID1 setup,
no one really know if it matters which slot the drives are in.  Some posters have had success
with setup of RAID1 with existing disks, others end up with two reformatted drives with no data
on them.  Unless a backup was made prior to the RAID1 setup, you could be left wonder why your
data drive was formatted -- EVEN when the web gui said it would not delete your existing data.

So, be safe.  Make a backup, then you won't leave yourself vulnerable to data loss.

Last edited by mig (2010-09-22 03:15:23)

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

#5 2010-09-22 04:03:11

Homeslice

Thank mig,

I appreciate the advice.  Unfortunately, I don't have the disk space outside of the DNS 323 to temporarily store everything.  I do have other copies of most of it but it would be such a hassle to collect it from several other places (laptops, external drives, two different desktops) that it is just way easier to move it onto the drive I have already formated and copied everything to on the DNS.

I suppose my best option is a 500GB external hard drive and a very long copy process.  Though I really don't want to spend the time or money on that proposition.  This should be easy.  Plug in and let the RAID build it's mirror.

#6 2010-09-22 04:33:25

FunFiler

Most of the time it works fine. I originally had 1 drive, then added a second months later as Raid 1. No loss of data. There are posts though from others that were not as lucky. It may have something to do with which drive slot was used for the original, it may not.

3 * (DNS-323 with 2 * 2TB) = 12TB Running FW v1.08 & FFP v0.5
Useful Links: Transmission, Transmission Remote, Automatic

#7 2010-09-22 04:48:00

Homeslice

I thought I read somewhere that it was better to start in the slot on the left and then move the drive with data to the slot on the right and put the new drive into the left slot (looking head on at it).

#8 2010-09-22 21:51:31

mig

Homeslice wrote:

... I suppose my best option is a 500GB external hard drive and a very long copy process.  Though I really don't want to spend the time or money on that proposition.  This should be easy.  Plug in and let the RAID build it's mirror.

I understand the agony of your decision, only you can decide if the cost (time & money) to make the backup, is less
than the cost (hassle to collect 'most' of the data from several other places) to recover from a problem, based on how
valuable your data is to you.

You are right "This SHOULD be easy"; however, there are many post from people who thought that same way, and were
wrong.  http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=4174

The fact is... during a RAID1 rebuild on the DNS-323 (any firmware) you data is at RISK.  I think you realize this, otherwise you
would not be asking these excellent questions.  How gracefully you recover from the possible disaster scenario depends on how
lucky you feel, and if you have a current backup of your data.

Your data... your choice.  (do you feel lucky?)

P.S. Another advantage to getting the external drive is, once you have successfully moved your data to the RAID1 on the
DNS-323, you can use the external drive to store your periodic scheduled backups. smile

DNS-323 • 2x Seagate Barracuda ES 7200.10 ST3250620NS 250GB SATAII (3.0Gb/s) 7200RPM 16MB • RAID1 • FW1.03 • ext2 
Fonz's v0.3 fun_plug http://www.inreto.de/dns323/fun-plug

Board footer