DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-04-06 17:46:52

abubin

best way to run backup between dns-323 device

I have a dns-323 drive with 2 x 1TB hdd. Running in RAID1. Problem is, it is getting full. So I decided to buy another DNS-343 with 4 x 1TB hdd.

I will setup DNS-343 to run in RAID5 which will give me 3TB of usable space. After that, I would like to configure DNS323 as JBOD and use it as backup for DNS343. I would like to run a daily schedule to backup data from DNS343 into DNS323 with incremental daily backup. I would like to know, is this a good strategy and is there and better strategy?

I am also not sure how I am going to schedule the backup without hacking the dns323 or dns343. I do not want to do funplug if possible.

Please advice. Thanks.

#2 2010-04-07 08:49:59

zeroday
Website

Re: best way to run backup between dns-323 device

I have setup rsync between 2 devices
so I have 2 DISK's and both are rsynced to a 'backup' device (soley for this purpose)
unattended and keeps working. (I was really surprised it is still working after not checking it for more than a year).

#3 2010-04-08 01:33:16

karlrado

Re: best way to run backup between dns-323 device

You'll be backing up 3TB on the 343 to the 323 that has 2TB; I guess you are aware of that.  You won't be able to backup all of the 343 this way, and you will certainly not have room for the main backup + incremental dailies.

If you are positive that you don't want to do a funplug, then you'll have to use another system to backup one device to the other.  This should be pretty simple to do, as all you would need is to setup the appropriate shares on each DNS through the stock DNS web interfaces.  And the two DNS boxes would be on the same network as the system running the backup software.

The system you want for doing the actual backups might depend on the backup software that you want to use.  You could use a Windows box and run whatever backup software is available that you like.  There is an rsync implementation for Windows that I use to rsync parts of my Windows box to an rsync daemon on my DNS, but I think you could also use it to backup one DNS to the other.  And of course you could use a Linux box for the same.  Some "Windows" backup software may not work with the backup source being a network drive.

Discarding the option of using a funplug will make this backup configuration really inefficient.  Your network will be pretty busy and you've got three machines in the fray.  The machine running the backup software will have to be running in order for backups to occur.  Plus, there are two samba shares in the route here.  The most efficient way to so this would be to hack the 323 to turn on NFS.  Then hack the 343 to mount the 323 backup volume and periodically run rsync.  No need for a third machine.

It will be slow, but should work.  Since you mentioned doing daily incrementals, do you have a backup program in mind?

DNS-323 FW 1.07 : 2 1TB WD Caviar Green SATA : fun_plug: utelnet + optware (no ffp)

Board footer