DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-04-11 08:02:28

obix

No lights, no POST, just fan, must unplug to turn off

Hello all, I've been following the forum for a few days now but have not come across anything addressing my issue (a couple of instances of similar problem but no solution).

I have a DSM-G600 H/W ver B1.  It has been running for a while on 1.02us quite well.  The other day I moved it to a new location in the same room and after plugging it in and pressing the ON button there was nothing but the fan spinning and a little movement from the HDD, that was it.

I messed around with different combination's of ON/OFF / Start Button / Reset Switch but there was no noticeable change.  I also tried doing a 30/30/30 reset, nothing.  The battery measures about 2.94v.

I opened it up and removed the HDD.  My PCB does have a 4-pin jack at J3.  Following the instructions Serial Connector page, I went through my parts bin and made a 9-pin male serial cable going to a MAX3232CPE (with the five 0.1uF capacitors) then to the PCB with the appropriate connector.  I have checked and rechecked the wiring and pin-outs, everything is fine as far as I can tell.

Measuring the voltages across several pins on the MAX3232 resulted as follows:  V2-6=12.93v, V10-14=-7.25v, V10-16=3.34v.  It would appear that it's getting the 3.3v from the device on pin 1 as it should.  However from the datasheet on the IC it looks as though these voltages correspond to "no connection"...

Next I tried interfacing with it using various methods: getty, minicom, kermit, and on Windoz hyperterminal.  They all say connected ( do to the loop-back wiring I assume ) but there is no response when I power up the device.  I'm using 9600 8N1 vt100 with no flow-control or hand-shaking.

Is this unit irrecoverably bricked!? hmm

Any help or suggestions will be greatly appreciated!  Thanks!

"It takes a big man to cry... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man crying"  ~ Jack Handey

#2 2010-04-12 09:43:06

sala
Member / Site Admin
Website

Re: No lights, no POST, just fan, must unplug to turn off

Sounds like bricked. You can still try jtag to look further (http://dns323.kood.org/forum/viewtopic.php?id=824), but it might be easier to buy new one.

DSM-G600 - NetBSD hdd-boot - 80GB Samsung SP0802N
NSA-220 - Gentoo armv5tel 20110121 hdd-boot - 2x 2TB WD WD20EADS

#3 2010-04-12 16:00:01

obix

Sala, thank you very much for the reply!  I am afraid that it is bricked also... strange how it happened.

I'm a sucker for lost causes though, so I'm definitely going to do more research on the JTAG approach.  If I come up with any new information that might me useful to others I'll post it here.

Thanks again!

"It takes a big man to cry... but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man crying"  ~ Jack Handey

#4 2011-07-14 00:24:30

speculatrix

Mine suddenly did this too, having been off after a power cut... it was totally unresponsive; couldn't ping, couldn't turn off with the button.

it turned out to be the hard drive had failed.

put in a new hard drive and it came back to life.

funnily enough, some time later (today) I took the controller board off the failed hard drive - a western digital WD2500AAJB - saw no sign of problem, refitted it and it worked!

#5 2011-12-26 15:07:54

raubvogel

If it helps, there are a few cheapo usb-to-serial adaptors that really do 3.3V. Search for dockstar serial.

Board footer