DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2007-05-31 18:52:38

ridewithstyle

Name Mangling and questionmarks

Hi there,

just received my DNS-323 today and I have to say I'm really amazed over the hackability.

But one thing kinda annoyed me which appeared when I was copying data from my utf8 suse 10.1 where the nas was mounted. When I converted some audio cds to *.flacs on the nas one filename was mutilated because it contained a questionmark. The file was encoded and copied with the right name including the questionmark, but I couldn't access it afterwards anymore. Samba displayed something totally different including %, Numbers and all kinds of things. I failed to delete the file from windows or linux and had to use telnet to get rid of it again. But once I was in the box with telnet, I saw the correct filename! So It was copied correctly but samba failed to re-read it. Has anybody experienced the same issue? And what did you do to solve it? Can't samba replace questionmarks with "_" or something?

greetings, rws

#2 2007-06-01 08:47:36

mykroft

Re: Name Mangling and questionmarks

Your audio converting software should have never allowed the "?".....  I have yet to run across a OS that lets you have ? in the filename, granted yes you can get some weird stuff.  I would check your audio riper software and find out why it allowed the ? in the filename

How was the file saved on your windows machine - it does not allow ? either I think - ya windows does not allow /\:?<>|*" in its filenames....

Myk

#3 2007-06-01 14:01:41

ridewithstyle

The Audio Conversion Software would be K3B and the OS is Suse Linux 10.1. You can rename any file via shell (in my case bash) or Nautilus without any Problems containing a questionmark.

e.g. #mv xyz.txt "foo\?bar.lol" for the shell. Syntax is the same as putting in blanks or other special characters. Simply mask the special charater with a "\" prior.

but nonetheless, how do I get samba to handle this some other way, like substitute the evil character with _ for example.

greetings, rws

#4 2007-06-01 19:40:44

Fred from NYC

One solution - although not the one you are looking for - would be to remove the question marks from all filenames.

#5 2007-06-01 19:46:50

ridewithstyle

that's what I'm doing atm, cleaning out all that nasty characters that might interfere with samba. Maybe I stumble over some solution once, if I do I'll post it here

rws

#6 2007-06-01 21:24:45

mykroft

ridewithstyle wrote:

The Audio Conversion Software would be K3B and the OS is Suse Linux 10.1. You can rename any file via shell (in my case bash) or Nautilus without any Problems containing a questionmark.

e.g. #mv xyz.txt "foo\?bar.lol" for the shell. Syntax is the same as putting in blanks or other special characters. Simply mask the special charater with a "\" prior.

but nonetheless, how do I get samba to handle this some other way, like substitute the evil character with _ for example.

greetings, rws

correct but you have to access the filename with "name?ext" - quotes.  The masking character "\" is not a windows standard and samba is following windows standards on filenameing conventions......

My ripping software (granted is windows) will not put those characters in the filenames and just strip them out.  There is nothing in samba do to the same thing.  I would look for a option in your ripping software to strip specific characters......

I had some ftp software that would do that, it had a directive of non acceptable characters for the filenames and could either strip them out or replace them with a character of your choising - ex space to _ as to not have to "\" or " " in linux to access them

Myk

#7 2007-06-01 21:53:15

ridewithstyle

well in my case that program to strip them out seems to be me big_smile K3B has yet to learn that capability, would also be nice if samba could be told to strip them out. But the samba book is not something to read in 5 minutes. As long as I can correct the errors via telnet and don't get stuck taking the disks out, that's fine atm. For the long run I have to find another solution though.

#8 2007-06-01 22:04:25

fonz
Member / Developer
Website

Linux has a pretty powerful rename command.

#9 2007-06-01 22:20:06

ridewithstyle

that is correct, but in case you leave them in k3b they get into the ID3 tags as well. Once they are in and the filename gets rewritten from the tag it's back in the name. So the best way is to simply edit the name in k3b before converting to flac. but thanks for the tip. smile

Board footer