DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-05-03 04:02:41

Mr_Skull

Permission denied when attempting to configure mediatomb

First thanks to all the great contributors on this forums.  I've been reading for days and have learned to love my new little box : )

I've installed fun_box, enabled SSH, disabled telnet, started mediatomb, added some folders to it's database, and streamed some files to my PS3.  Not bad for a linux noob!  Now for the problem:

When I connect via SSH with root user and pw and try to modify the config.xml file to tweak if for PS3 settings I get permission denied.

Here's the command I'm entering in my putty ssh session to my DNS-323 at my prompt which is:
root@dbox:~#
/ffp/var/mediatomb/config.xml

and the response I'm getting:
-sh: /ffp/var/mediatomb/config.xml: Permission denied

I've searched the forum and google and didn't find anyone with a similar issues.  I also opened the config.xml file with notepad, edited it, and when I tried to save if it still told me I did not have permission.

In the meantime I'm going to read the "Getting started with Linux" links posted by fonz.  I fee like I'm overlooking some basic user configuration.....

#2 2010-05-03 09:13:43

mignonette

Re: Permission denied when attempting to configure mediatomb

You have to use a text editor, such as vi. Thus, you should execute 'vi /ffp/var/mediatomb/config.xml'.

There are lots of vi tutorials, just the firt google´s result:

http://www.eng.hawaii.edu/Tutor/vi.html

#3 2010-05-04 01:38:51

Mr_Skull

Thanks mignonette,
For whatever reason all the file types that don't require transcoding are streaming from the server to my ps3 without any configuring....?  I may play with vi a little to learn something but now that it's working I'm scared to touch it : )
Now to get back fighting Transmission....

#4 2010-05-05 00:40:37

mignonette

Well, you can backup your config.xml

Code:

cp config.xml config.old

and do whatever changes you need. Just in case something goes wrong, restore your backup

Code:

cp config.old config.xml

You can do the same with the js files (the import related ones). Just remember to restart mediatomb to reload the xml files

Board footer