DSM-G600, DNS-3xx and NSA-220 Hack Forum

Unfortunately no one can be told what fun_plug is - you have to see it for yourself.

You are not logged in.

Announcement

#1 2010-07-08 03:17:11

krimb1

chkbutton2-cronstart: an addon for chkbutton2

About chkbutton2
Thanks to jcard's fabulous chkbutton2, I have a way of (1) cleanly umounting all my drives at shutdown/reboot; (2) setting customized scripts to be run at shutdown; (3) can choose to either shutdown *or* reboot from the button on my DNS-323; and (4) keep holding the button in front if I want to cancel shutdown/reboot altogether. (The only thing it doesn't have is the ability to dim the LED light when the disks sleep, but I can live with that.) I highly suggest anyone who doesn't have it already to check it out. wink

Trials and tribulations
As I posted on his page, I was having some trouble having the /ffp/start/chkbutton2.sh to load properly at boottime — the problem *might* have been related to the fact I was running 1.08 firmware on Rev A DNS-323, rather than a Rev B that most people have now.

My workaround (a few pages of posts later!) was essentially to (1) disable chkbutton2.sh from running at boot (by removing write permissions); and (2) writing my own "cron hack script" to launch chkbutton2.sh after a minute, and then remove it from crontab so that it isn't called again.

The chkbutton2-cronststart script
In case anyone else is having this trouble (Sharp Rock mentioned some months later that he saw the same on his Rev B for some reason) I thought I'd upload it for everyone. My first package, so please be gentle! smile

Instructions:

1. Remove execute permissions from the original chkbutton2.sh script.

chmod a-x /ffp/start/chkbutton2.sh

2. Copy the package to the DNS using your favorite method, and install the package as normal with funpkg.

funpkg -i chkbutton2-cronstart.tgz

Note: if you'd like to see what files are installed where, then remove the package using

funpkg -r chkbutton2-cronstart.tgz

first, and then install again.

3. Make sure the cronstart script has execute permissions, since its whole point is to be started at runtime!!

chmod a+x /ffp/start/chkbutton2_cronstart.sh

4. Reboot the NAS using a method of your choice.

# default method, unclean
reboot
# enable chkbutton2 manually and then restart
sh /ffp/start/chkbutton2.sh start
reboot2

If all goes well, you should see something like the following in your ffp.log file:

**** fun_plug script for DNS-323 (2008-08-11 tp@fonz.de) ****
* Running /ffp/etc/rc ...
* /ffp/start/chkbutton2.sh inactive
* /ffp/start/chkbutton2_cronstart.sh ...
*  OK
*rmcron for chkbutton2 started ...

Hope this helps someone! wink

Last edited by krimb1 (2010-07-08 03:19:49)

Attachments:
Attachment Icon chkbutton2_cronstart.tgz, Size: 930 bytes, Downloads: 186

Board footer